The Macroeconomic impact of defining obesity as illness

To clarify, when I say obesity problem I am talking about the obesity pandemic that is global in scale. No doubt there are individuals whose genetic makeup truly makes obesity in their cases a disease. But if those were the only people becoming obese there wouldn’t be an obesity problem. In thinking about the obesity pandemic, there are two observations that one must consider.

First, the obesity problem is global. We know about the rise in obesity in the US and Europe, but it is also occurring in places like Korea and China. These are very different populations with different genetic make ups showing similar increases in weight gain. The common feature for all these locations with different cuisines and cultures is an increase in daily calorie intake.

Second, a statistically significant rise in obesity was not observed in the USA until 1990. Bears repeating, there was no observable obesity problem in the USA until after 1990. Can’t explain that with genetics or childhood trauma. But there is a remarkable correlation between the initial rise of obesity with the introduction of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), strongly suggesting it is mostly about diet. Compare the red and black curves.

The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization found that virtually the entire world is eating more calories in 2021 than 2000, led by the US and Europe at an average of 3540 calories/day. Compare that with the recommended 2500 calories/day for men. Do you really need to find another explanation for rising obesity in the US? Once again, US and Europe way ahead on daily calorie intake | UN News

When I say that is “all there is to the obesity problem” it is based on what I think is an overwhelming amount of evidence showing that obesity is caused by what we eat and how much we eat. The only controversy in the field is about which of those is more important. Either way, it is a matter of choice. Never claimed it was an easy choice, for many it is impossibly hard. But that doesn’t mean we should ignore the reality that the body cannot generate mass from nothing. One can only gain weight if more calories are taken in than used up according to the laws of physics.

As for shaming, it is not clear to me that stigmatizing the obese as being diseased or traumatized is any better than saying they have poor eating/exercise habits.

3 Likes

Most of the problem is refined foods, whether hfcs or crackers and beyond.

Do you have any obese friends? That you can trust to tell you the truth? If so, show them what you posted here and ask them how they feel about what you wrote.

—Peter

1 Like

Sure. They understand because they know I say it because I care about them. Same with a couple of friends who used to smoke. When you see people you care about acting in a way that causes them serious harm one needs to be honest. To not be honest simply to avoid hurting their feelings is not caring, it is pandering.

I was on a pathway approaching obesity and my friends/family made clear their feelings about it. So I made some changes in diet and set a goal that at the time I thought was unreachable but would serve as a motivator. Took a bit of training but have finished four marathons since then. It wasn’t easy and I don’t consider myself exceptional so I know it can be done.

According to the CDC, obesity prevalence in the US rose to over 40% in 2020 with a similar surge in diabetes, and you are worried about hurting feelings. Not sure about those priorities.

3 Likes

This kind of info is certainly important for science and perhaps eventually finding a treatment for some types of obesity. But does it really have practical significance today for the person trying to lose weight?

From a practical POV genetic predispositions don’t matter because there is nothing you can do about them. The only things you have control over is what you eat, how much you eat, and how much you move, so that is where the focus should be.

The only other alternative is medical treatment such as surgery or the new anti-obesity medication. The problem with the latter is that the weight usually returns if you stop the medication, so it becomes a lifetime thing.

Would you tell someone who was born missing a leg that they just need to try harder to walk? After all, there is nothing they can do about it. Of course you wouldn’t. And there are indeed things that can be done with prosthetics, although those are not panaceas and come with problems of their own.

We need a similar recognition for those with a genetic component to their weight issues. Even just understanding that your weight problem is partially genetic can help. Those with such a situation would understand that controlling their weight is going to be a life-long task, just like those born without a limb face a life long task of dealing with that situation. And it allows those folks to understand that they are probably never going to look like their skinny or athletic friends. It allows them to develop achievable goals for their future rather than attempting in vain to reach a goal that they simply can’t reach.

I don’t disagree that for some, they just need to eat better and exercise more. But for some, that simply isn’t practical because of their genetic disposition. They have to quite literally be hungry all the time to keep from consuming too much. Or they have to train as much as professional athlete to burn off sufficient calories. These are not long-term solutions for these folks.

As to being concerned about feelings - yes, I absolutely am concerned about feelings. There is a correlation between obesity and depression. Those who are obese have a 55% higher risk of developing depression. People with depression are not going to watch their diet or work on exercise. At least not enough to make a difference in their weight. Now they have two battles to fight.

If you could know that you have a genetic component to your weight problem, that would be an important way to arm yourself for the work that lies ahead. But we can’t do that now, as medical science hasn’t arrived there yet.

–Peter

2 Likes

And about 10 years ago Kraft was bought by Heinz.

DB2

I am not an expert on genetics, but I always thought that genetics change slowly over time, over many generations of a species. Has anyone explained how suddenly the genetics of the human species has changed so dramatically over just 2 generations? And interestingly enough, they mostly only changed in English speaking countries (though other-languaged countries that speak English as a second language may be catching up recently), I wonder if perhaps speaking English has some effect on the genetics of weight.

3 Likes

Epigenetics is perhaps part of it?

There are other, more plebian sources - ‘obesity dutch famine’ (ie NYT).
Basically - the grand children of women who experienced famine while pregnant, are more likely to be obese, and to have other health problems, than those grand children whose grandmothers were not starved.

How Lamarckian.
. :giraffe:
ralph

1 Like

oh a different seat on the Titanic.

It is dangerous to label obesity as a disease because doctors will then treat it. The treatments can and do backfire badly.

It’s astounding how you can believe that the economy is going to boom over the next decade or two … yet also simultaneously believe that [all] the big companies are going to fail. :crazy_face:

5 Likes

I would suggest to them that they find some exercises to do on a regular basis to avoid future health problems. But I probably wouldn’t have to because their physical therapist has almost certainly been hammering that into them.

All a genetic predisposition for obesity means is that one probably has a low resting metabolism or feels hunger when there isn’t a need to. To compensate one needs to force one’s self to be more physically active and not always eat when feeling hunger (i.e., avoid snacking). Duh! How much does that help?

I don’t see how misleading people about obesity helps that. You don’t want to hurt their feelings so you say it is not their fault. It is the fault of genes or trauma or some mystery factor out of their control. That comes very close to enabling.

My position is to say you can only deal with what you can control, and what you can control is what you eat, how much you eat, and how much you move. One thing I did was associate eating with physical activity. Every time I ate something I had to do significant physical activity either immediately before or after. That does two things. It uses calories and, if you hate exercise, it discourages eating.

The hunger issue is easy to resolve. It is difficult to gain too many calories from vegetables. No one gains weight by eating too much cabbage or broccoli. One pound of cabbage has about 120 calories. Satiate hunger primarily with vegetables and one will almost certainly lose weight. The exercise issue is also resolvable. Find an activity that makes one sweat and breath hard. That might be something as simple as standing from a sitting position ten times. When that happens rest until recover then repeat. Do those reps however many times one can depending on one’s condition. This is a variation of HIIT training and can be modified to anyone’s level.

Fastest way to lose weight is to become a vegetarian. A lot of people don’t want to do that because vegetables aren’t their favorite food. That’s fine and understandable. But then whose fault is that if they are obese?

4 Likes

Yep. Very simple. Just gotta do it.

All excuses aside, you lose weight if your calorie expenditure (resting and moving) is greater than your calorie intake… regardless of personal issues (disabled, “metabolism”). In a way (LOL) the metabolism “issue” is real… “Yeah, my metabolism is such that if I eat more than I burn… I can’t lose weight.” Duh…

btresist, you’re right. Claiming it’s “not his/her fault” is enabling. “Here, let’s discuss this while we share some insert calorie laden food here. Then we’ll watch this exercise channel.”

Rob
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Of course there are those who feel it depends upon your social identity.

In a world that is constantly telling us to be thinner, it can be hard to love our bodies just the way they are. But what if we stopped seeing our so-called flaws as imperfections and started viewing them as unique features that make us who we are? That’s the body positive movement in a nutshell. And while it has been gaining traction in recent years, there’s one group of people who seem to have latched onto the concept with suspicious amounts of fervor: middle-aged white guys with dad bods…

The body positivity movement was created by women — specifically Black women — as a brilliantly sassy yet empathetic response to the unrealistic standards of beauty imposed on us by Western culture. It wasn’t designed for privileged white males who already conform to their own traditional ideas of masculinity (duh); it was meant for those of us who often feel invisible and unworthy because we don’t fit into patriarchy’s white supremacist definition of beauty.

DB2

1 Like

Perhaps.

Then there are folks like me… fat, wanting to get back into a decent shape. For health. For improved ability to function.

I’m about six feet tall and recently turned 70. I used to be 248. Now 218 (per this morning). Clothes fit better (new clothes actually). I can move and do things better. In my eyes, I’m still fat… still have a big gut. The intermediate goal is 200 sometime this year. Longer term, I want to get down to the 170s, which is more in alignment with what I was when I was in great shape. I’m also lifting (small) weights because I don’t want to lose a lot of muscle mass in the process, although I very much doubt I can return to my college physique. Just needs conviction and effort.

Am I “unworthy” being fat? Nah… just not as comfortable and not as healthy. Not pre-diabetic, but my blood sugar is very slightly above normal range (A1C is fine). And I have issues with gout. I expect these things to improve.

Just gotta decide to do it. And not entertain excuses… I’m not one to lie to myself or others.

Rob

3 Likes

Sure, if you have an iron will, you can lose weight.

I’m short and small boned. I need to eat less than 900 calories a day to lose weight. I’ve done it before, and I’ll probably do it again, but eating less than 900 calories a day for your entire life is pretty hard to do.

1 Like

No iron will here! I’m not going around hungry.

As for your situation:

• Mynetdiary app on my phone makes the process painless

• Per How Many Calories to Maintain 100 Lbs.? | livestrong
    … a 100 pound, 5 foot, inactive person needs 1550-1600 calories to maintain their weight. That leads me to think your 900 calorie a day statement is incorrect. By a large margin.

Go ahead, check out the app. It’s FREE (although they’ll try to coax you into signing up for an upgrade that seems unnecessary). I’ve been amazed how easy it is.

Note: My goal is to lose 1.5# per week and the app says I need 1727 calories. Exercise makes the weight drop off faster. Cheating on the diet does the opposite… but occasional diet cheating is no big deal.

Rob

1 Like

Well, Rob, I think that’s something to discuss with your Straw Man…since no one else is trying to absolve individuals from personal accountability.

Thing is, you’re something of a n00b at the weight management lark, right. From your own account but I’m also fathoming as much from your self confidence. From personal observation, but not experience, most everyone who has ridden this roller coaster feels the same in the early “success” stage of a diet (even when they’re successful for the 3rd or 4th time) Notwithstanding, congratulations.

Caution is advised, however. Now upstream you mentioned a specific daily energy intake that has you maintaining a steady weight loss…no problem. You know what…there shouldn’t be a problem. You mentioned something in the region of 1750 Cals, right. Even assuming that to be accurate, that is a very generous amount of groceries to be consuming and at the same time creating an energy deficit That hardly looks like a diet to me. Manifestly, you can’t claim any issue like a slow metabolism to account for the chonky…you simply ate too much. Additionally you claim a leanness in your youth (as most of us were) Another huge advantage that isn’t enjoyed by everyone.

As mentioned upstream by another poster, the average daily energy intake for USians is somewhere North of 3,000. I can believe that…and if it’s an average, there are plenty around eating more (to compensate for the likes of me). For anyone chowing down on that sort of pile to get fat in the first place is going to have a much easier time than folk who didn’t than those weight gain is more insidious and just can’t hack the calorie restriction (often les than your rations) for the long haul.

3 Likes

I think body positivity is great. However, this discussion is about health, not western perceptions of beauty. Obesity is defined clinically, not socially. It represents a BMI where one’s health is significantly compromised.

That is very difficult. The unfortunate part is that if you were wealthy this issue can be resolved. A physical trainer would put you on a strength program to increase muscle mass. Muscles have a higher resting metabolic rate so the more muscle you have the more calories you burn. As one ages, muscles tend to deteriorate increasing the need for exercise and, if possible, weight training.