The Mouse That Roared

If not for the protections on corporate personhood, Neither the NAACP nor GLAAD would exist.

2 Likes

The issue of we the people v corporate rights assumes we only want we the people.

The competition is not that fierce if the economic arguments are well framed.

Personally, I think there is a little more nuance to all of this.

For example, the original post (mine) mentioned Disney’s free speech because, in the link provided, Disney brought free speech up in their lawsuit.

I believe that corporations (or rather the people that run them) are entitled to free speech. That doesn’t mean there aren’t consequences that come with that free speech. Just ask Budweiser. Some people may choose to avoid Disney World because of their positions and that’s just fine. Personally, I have never spent a cent at Hobby Lobby for just that reason. Perfectly fine.

What I do have an issue with is government employees using governmental power to punish a specific corporation because they had the audacity to question a government employee’s decision.

And, just for the record, my issue with Citizens United isn’t free speech, it’s equating the cash you own with free speech.

And Mark, sorry for not being more specific about my comment regarding popcorn. I was just being sarcastic about getting popcorn while I watched the entertainment (lawsuits).

4 Likes

A more current update on the First Amendment implications of the lawsuit that Disney initiated.

1 Like

This dustup seems to be a big, big loser for DeSantis (or now as Nikki says, in reflection of her mentor, come to SC, we’re “not woke, but we’re not sanctimonious about it either”).

A talking head this morning pointed out, too, how many millions Disney has donated to political campaigns and, surprise, the vast majority were red v. blue. That amount has now dwindled in the past year.

Others have also pointed out how it may not be wise to pick a fight with such a large employer in the state and with Bob Iger. Iger is known not just for his business savvy, but his political chops, too.

Pete

3 Likes

It’s clear to me that DeSantis picked the fight solely because he hates being contradicted, especially in public.

I saw the first flash of this when he was having a press conference about the coronavirus and he turned around and snapped at one of his staffers “Get that mask off”. It’s like “my way or you don’t exist”.

4 Likes

He actually said that to a bunch of college students - so even worse.

3 Likes

Sticks in my mind he was speaking at a school, and some of the students were wearing masks. He tried to shame them into removing their masks. Reminds me of most of the “JCs” I worked for.

Steve

4 Likes

My Irony Meter just broke and it is beyond repair.

6 Likes

You cant be any more sanctimonious about things than when you say your not sanctimonious.

4 Likes
1 Like

wrt DeSanti’s comments regarding Disney backfiring, he will play the “victim” card, as that works so well with a particular demographic.

Steve

2 Likes

It gets better.

Snip:

“The funny thing about this is that there actually is a passage in DeSantis’ memoir where he discusses his private talks with Republicans in the state legislature about how they’re going to singly target Disney with governmental action.”

Too funny.

7 Likes

Florida is suing Disney

This state case must be decided before the Disney’s federal case can be heard.

Also, the perpetuity language flourishes came from Disney’s national legal team, not Florida attorneys. It was PR aimed at the national press and is, apparently, irrelevant in Florida.

Prominent cases will always have spin. It’s important to separate that spin from the nature and merits of the actual case.

2 Likes

Some people have a need to push a mouse to far. You can only push a mouse so far.

California where the tourists are here comes Micky 2.

I don’t see that in the linked article. Why do you believe that the state case must be decided first?

—Peter

1 Like

My understanding is that Florida alleges that the district is invalid. Disney must establish that the district is legitimate before federal court would know what they are arguing about.

edit:

So now Florida really is trying to invalidate the district. This is now fully into the weeds.

1 Like

The district was established as valid and legitimate when it was created and accepted. There is no proof to the contrary (other than hot {h}air).

1 Like

I’m not here to argue political spin. It’s impossible to learn anything that way.

1 Like