The new normal?

I’ve discussed a number of times that, should you decide to take a cruise (river or ocean) under current circumstances, the likelihood of leaving with a COVID infection is extremely high. A new age.

Similarly, how many here have recently gone to a movie theatre during the past couple of years?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/19/media/regal-cinemas-financial…

The owner of Regal Cinemas is having a tough time — its stock crashed as much as 80% Friday after reports that its parent company is preparing to file for bankruptcy.

British company Cineworld Group has spoken to lawyers at Kirkland & Ellis LLP to advise on the bankruptcy process in the United States and United Kingdom, according to a report by the Wall Street Journal.

The stock has recovered slightly, but is still 60% below its price at the start of Friday trading.
Earlier this week, Cineworld said in a press release that, despite a “gradual recovery of demand” since last spring, admissions were below expectations.

Jeff

3 Likes

Regal Cinemas is having a tough time —

Streaming during the pandemic displaced Movie Going to Home Theater Viewing. Although this trend was already underway the pandemic just accelerated it… Like remote working
video streaming industry reached $72.2 billion in 2021, with most of the revenue coming from the United States. It is projected to reach $115 billion by 2026.
In 2020 Netflix added 25 million new subscribers, again pandemic effect.
Today Nielson announced that Streaming overtakes broadcast and cable TV viewing for first time –
https://www.lightreading.com/videomedia/streaming-overtakes-…

1 Like

Before COVID hit, Honors Bridge Club, on East 58th Street, NYC was the largest bridge club in the country, second largest in the world. They ran hundreds of tables each day and filled two floors of a midtown NYC office building. With the rent expense associated with that, they were also the most expensive club (that I’m aware of) and charged $34 a game (but supplied a very ornate lunch as part of the deal). It provided a social outlet for thousands of (frequently wealthy) people (highly weighted towards women) whose spouses worked during the day. They were so successful that, in 2019, they purchased the other two publicly available bridge clubs in Manhattan - Cavandish and Aces.

COVID forced nearly every bridge club to close its doors. Honors had to give up its Midtown location.

During COVID, on-line bridge playing became the norm - first out of necessity and then out of preference. The games are cheaper, run at any convenient time and the sites allow players in various parts of the world to easily partner. In my case, nearly all of my bridge playing has been done on ships and in foreign clubs, so this allowed me to reestablish partnerships with people I hadn’t played with in years. (I still have a weekly game, for about a year now, with a partner whose last pre-COVID game with me was in 1970).

Anyway, Honors is trying to rent a new Midtown location by asking its customers to pay for a year in advance in order to provide them with funds and running their club with far fewer members from the old Cavandish, much smaller, location. Similar situations are playing out at bridge clubs nationwide as players have found they find playing on-line to be more convenient.

Jeff

2 Likes

We used to hit our local theater almost weekly with an old friend or grandkids, but not since Covid came along, and as noted, upgraded out flat screen to a big OLED & sound bar… Pretty awesome actually… We’re so spoiled, but, were tempted recently, only to have the old friend be in need of knee surgery soon, so will not endanger that in any possibility…

Cruising is off the table, airline flights as well, heading up to Seattle in October, but would rather drive a couple days than be stuck in a long tin can, breathing the same air as so many others…

BTW, did you know there is an open Budget Travel board now, might be of interest for you and others…

We were just going to do another longish drive over to Carson City, NV, but the host inlaw, she fell, fractured a bunch ribs, is still in recovery from her round with Covid that her hubby brought back, via a flight from Houston! So things change, we’re hoping the new, proposed combo covid shot arrives in September…

Turmoil, chaos seems to be the theme today…

weco

Just because - 6610000

1 Like

The owner of Regal Cinemas is having a tough time — its stock crashed as much as 80% Friday after reports that its parent company is preparing to file for bankruptcy.

Even prior to the pandemic, I almost never went to the movie theater for these reasons:

1. There are plenty of alternatives that are cheaper AND more convenient. These include using RedBox, borrowing DVDs from the library, watching my own DVDs (already paid for), and using my Roku box to watch streaming videos. A month of a popular paid streaming video service doesn’t cost that much more than a movie ticket but allows me to watch numerous movies and TV shows during this period. And I don’t have to venture out in cold winter weather, drive somewhere, and have to use the ice scraper and defroster to clear my windows before I can be on my way home.
  2. When I watch movies on-demand, I can pause for bathroom breaks. That’s not an option at a movie theater, which is why I would avoid eating or drinking anything for an hour before the movie. I never understood why people ordered those overpriced and nutritionally deplorable concessions. Drinking such large quantities of beverages means making frequent trips to the bathroom and missing parts of the movie. Eating all those sodium bombs and sugar bombs leads to excessive thirst, which means having to drink large amounts of water and then making frequent trips to the bathroom.
1 Like

Really enjoy going to movies - mind you -only restarted within the last year and that too - solely daytime shows NOT on Friday-Saturday-Sunday. Crowds much lower.

Just wish there was more good stuff - I’m not high on the INsta Generations penchant for agenda filled movies, and remakes-reboots-refreshes-and-remakes of-the-reboots.

Maverick was a treat saw it twice.

Hoping to see Rogue One’s quick re-release but darn thing is only for a weekend so ONLY if the crowd is low on Friday afternoon which I highly doubt.

In the end - the well educated executives along with the “investors” who built Taj Mahal theaters will take a haircut. Theaters will exist - but less of them, smaller less grandiose facilities.

2. When I watch movies on-demand, I can pause for bathroom breaks. That’s not an option at a movie theater, which is why I would avoid eating or drinking anything for an hour before the movie. I never understood why people ordered those overpriced and nutritionally deplorable concessions. Drinking such large quantities of beverages means making frequent trips to the bathroom and missing parts of the movie. Eating all those sodium bombs and sugar bombs leads to excessive thirst, which means having to drink large amounts of water and then making frequent trips to the bathroom.

Never had that problem.

PSU

We’ve been members and supporters of a local historic independent theater for decades. We’ve not seen anything there since Covid hit. They continue to require masking of all patrons other than when snacking (which renders the requirement a good deal less than bulletproof, alas). We’re out of town for roughly half the year, however, and we haven’t found much worth watching–N95-masked and hence snack-free, per our regimen–the rest of the time. Sigh.