The Tide Piper is going to demand payment

4 Likes

Seems to me that somebody doesn’t understand how sea level works.

Sea level is a global phenomenon. Individual points that differ by more than 1" are nonsensical…

…Unless you don’t want to account for subsidence.

Since subsidence is VERY localized, any measurements that are using that for relative reference are… challenged.

Sea level at the equator is higher than it is at higher latitudes due to the rotation of the Earth. It is not a global phenomenon.

6 Likes

Most people are surprised to learn that, just as the surface of the Earth is not flat, the surface of the ocean is not flat, and that the surface of the sea changes at different rates around the globe. For instance, the absolute water level height is higher along the West Coast of the United States than the East Coast.

And there is more here.

1 Like

Not at Gibraltar,

The Strait of Gibraltar today

Because more water still evaporates than is brought in by rivers and precipitation, the Mediterranean would today dry out again without the connection to the Atlantic. The water level of the Atlantic Ocean is about 1.5 meters higher, so that about 1 million cubic meters of water per second flow into the Mediterranean Sea at the surface.

The Captain

6 Likes

Thanks for all the educational remarks. I appreciate it.

I should have stated that relative to any locale, this should be held as a constant.

This is how it’s done professionally, anyway.

For example:

The reference point in Louisiana is 21.5 m below the land surface

This speaks to my earlier comment about land subsidence is enormously noisy and that sea level references which do not account for this are, at best, negligent.

OS - Measuring rates of present-day relative sea-level rise in low-elevation coastal zones: a critical evaluation (copernicus.org)

2 Likes