The Whole World

Note 1) I am an amateur investor and have made every single investing mistake (except one) in the entire known investing world. To make up for the one investing mistake I have never made I have went out of my way to make a couple of other investing mistakes a number of times. Balance - is the key to life!

Note 2) Summer is here and kids everywhere are celebrating. Rightly so - you’re only a kid once; albeit some of us mature a lot later in life (if at all), and finding fun things to do can be challenging for those children who don’t come from affluent families. But there is good news: You can help! How? here is a brief list:

1. Sponsor some kid to a summer camp.
  2. Donate a handful of tickets to local sporting events.
  3. Pay the entry fees for kids at the local swimming holes.
  4. Pay entry fees at the local zoo.
  5. Volunteer and create some of your own events. Three that I have found to be easy and popular are: Fishing Rodeos; Summer Youth Olympics; PTB -Point Total Basketball whereby teams comprised of two kids have 2 minutes to each shoot hoops from 1,2, and 3 pt zones.
  6. Make up your own list ya lazy bum - but, whatever you do, don’t just sit there. Your action could make some kids summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibQ162mnr_U

And thats exactly what we investors have as well - we have the entire world of growth stocks - and non-growth stocks as well - from which to build our portfolios. But - if you look around a bit you might realize that most of us are fishing in the same small pond and that our entire growth investing world is comprised on only 5-15 companies. What’s up with that?

So…I decided to go back and look at the universe of growth companies from the standpoint of the subscription services I follow. Just take the whole sack-o-stocks and dump them out right here. So then this is that.

Here are the STARTERS for the services I follow - which is to say, by hook or crook, their top 5 judged by allocation, current favorites and/or recent commentary. Right here - right now - the whole dang shebang to sort through.

1. STARTERS From the Subscription Services

CRWD
PSTG
ESTC
AYX
DT

DOCN
TTD
MELI
CRWD
AMD

BILL
S
SNOW
MNDY
DDOG

AMD
DDOG
MDB
NVDA
ROKU

GOOG
MELI
DDOG
META
CRM

TSLA
ZM
ROKU
COIN
SQ

AAPL
PYPL
CRM
TWLO
ACN

CRWD
ADBE
SPGI
AXON
MEDP

AXON
ABNB
ETSY
ROKU
TREX

ROKU
MNST
MELI
MDB
DOCN

Note 3) This list does not include Brother Saul’s portfolio although I use his monthly reports for comparative purposes. But - while I haven’t checked to be sure, I don’t see any of his stocks that are not on one or the other of these lists.

Note 4) I am a much renowned garbler of Data. Such as you can - check this stuff out for yourself

Doesn’t seem too awful much like an entire universe of growth stocks to me which is a point, if not THE point, of this post. In fact…some of those may not even be growth stocks by definition. Now…truth be told - there are a few other fringe services I check out from time to time but they are not all that much different. So…since hordes of other investors subscribe to many of those same subscription services wouldn’t it be true that we are all sort of clumped together in a very narrow company recommendation group? Let’s tally-up:

• A total of 36 companies are listed.

• The companies listed the most are

ROKU 4
CRWD 3
MELI 3
DDOG 3
CRM. 2
AXON 2

You may note that the third list of STARTERS above pretty much nails the top companies in the majority of our portfolios. As luck would have it, that list comes from a company that freely and publicly displays their ratings. As such, I can actually name that list as coming from the Bessemer Venture Partners site. I derived rankings for them simply based on Revenue Growth. Simple as that.

Note 5: The list for the Bessemer Venture Partners was bastardized to eliminate BLND Labs.

So…what happens if I layer-in The Bench level companies from these same subscription services; which is to say, their next five most highly rated companies. This should expand our universe of Growth Stocks as well as add some additional insight and clarification. Let’s see.

1. The Bench From the Subscription Services:

(Not necessarily in the same subscription service order as the STARTER company list)

DDOG
JAMF
FOUR
ZI
BRZE

ROKU
ABNB
GOOG
U
ZS

GTLB
OKTA
CFLT
ZS
CRWD

SNOW
MSFT
GOOG
S
SHOP

ABNB
TREX
ADBE
ADYE.E
TTD

EXAS
U
TDOC
TWLO
PATH

ADBE
NVDA
HD
U
TDOC

TWLO
MELI
GOOG
TTD
NVCR

CRM
DDOG
ETSY
DOCU
SHOP

ACN
TTWO
NOW
TWLO
MELI

All of which, once you take out the companies already noted on someone’s STARTER list - then adds another 20 companies to our list. If my math is even reasonably correct that gives us a total of 56 companies recommenced either as STARTERs or Bench level players. Still…this is a relatively small
cohort of companies to consider. Lets narrow the list down by taking a look at which companies had the most appearances when the lists are combined:

ROKU 5
MELI 5
DDOG 5
CRWD 4
GOOG 4
TWLO 4
ABNB 3
ADBE 3
U… 3
CRM. 3
TTD. 3
ZS… 2
TREX 2
ETSY 2
ACN. 2
SNOW 2
NVDA 2
AXON 2
SHOP 2
TDOC 2

Not necessarily a very satisfying list for us high flying, smarty pants, high growth investor types. Still could be some nuggets in there somewhere I suppose. The shocker in the STARTERs list - which is a pretty exclusive club was DOCN. I also would have guessed that ZS, and SNOW would have had more looks at the basket with higher pts in the end - and/or, ROKU and TWLO with less. But sometimes these subscription services take a while to alter or correct their course - sort of like a big ship turning.

So what else might I have come away from this exercise thinking: well…nothing all that much. There is a wealth of make-or-break detail missing from just compiling these type of lists and in the end they are just starting points. Decent enough starting points perhaps - but starting points all the same.

I did this while waiting for the All-Too-Lovely to complete her annual physical exam. We do a sort of Executive Review level where the Doc spends half a day with you - off and on - while the assistants put you through the paces. Woman is healthy as a horse. She already took a moment or two to come out and tell me her hearing and eye tests came out superb. We are definitely blessed.

All the Best,

10 Likes