Thoughts about being blind

AEYE’s solution creates audio files out of the original web page. A customer (content owner) installs a program in its home page that, when the user gets there, will play a tune. Hearing the tune, the user simply press a button that will take the user out of the original webpage to the audio files.

This solution costs the end user absolutely nothing and allows the end users to access AEYE-powered websites anytime and anywhere from any devices.

Investing in AEYE has caused me to think about how difficult it must be for blind people to get around in today’s world where everything is so focussed around the internet. A blind person couldn’t read these post, just for instance. Or Facebook or other social media, etc etc.

Thanks M for the above description. I’d imagine that if a single life insurance company, or bank, for instance, put their information pages on this system, the word would spread in the blind community like wildfire, and within a year, every bank and life insurance company would have to have it, or write-off that group of clients. And I could easily see every government website having their information pages on this system. And I’m not talking about in 20 years, I’m talking about in two years. Just saying…

Saul

6 Likes

A blind person couldn’t read these post, just for instance. Or Facebook or other social media, etc etc.

Not exactly. I have blind and seeing-impaired friends who use the internet all the time: at home, at work, when traveling. Mac OS’s have offered accessibility features since 2005, including voice-over, which reads text and offers navigation tools. (I just tried it, and it read my post to me, including pointing out a typo.)

Unfortunately, much internet content is conveyed through images rather than text. Does anyone know how AEYE handles that?

banjr

1 Like

Unfortunately, much internet content is conveyed through images rather than text. Does anyone know how AEYE handles that?

banjr,

I think they are targeting business and government sites, where images are not as important.

As an aside, we don’t have any widely available technology right now that can parse an image and say "A small child holds a duck in the foreground, set against a blue sky with white puffy clouds. " Some day, though.

Thanks for your reply, Slips.

If AEYE is only translating text to speech, I guess I don’t get the point. I’ve had that that capability on my Mac for over a decade, and it’s been part of the Microsoft OS since at least Windows XP.

What does AEYE offer that’s new or unique? Why would anyone pay for it? I’m obviously missing a key element here…

banjr

If AEYE is only translating text to speech, I guess I don’t get the point. I’ve had that that capability on my Mac for over a decade, and it’s been part of the Microsoft OS since at least Windows XP.

They are not simply translating text to speech. Read through their FAQ will help

A few things that I doubt you get from a MAC or Windows PC:

From the FAQ: https://www.audioeye.com/faq/
A. On a basic level, the AudioEye system detects published Alt Text or Aria Labels and converts them to speech, reading them back to the user through the AudioEye player. When descriptions aren’t published, AudioEye will alert key stakeholders to author descriptions for compliant publication standards. As a service AudioEye has professional audio description authors versed in the art of providing rich content descriptions.

A. Accessible form fill-out is at the core of the Audio Internet platform. When a user encounters an AudioEye enabled web form, AudioEye will announce the form elements and audibly walk the user through the form fill-out process. AudioEye will read aloud the form input request and the user may type or, for supported browsers, speak their input into the form field. In addition, AudioEye allows the user to listen back to form inputs prior to advancing to the next form field and submitting the form.More specifically, the AudioEye form fill out process follows these steps:

3 Likes

Thanks, jdc115. Very helpful.