Timberrrrr!!!!

Just trying to CNBC - Cramer up the place.

What goes down, goes up, etc.

A move of 5 or 6 or 2% means nothing.

What we have to understand, about human psychology, is that loss hurts much more to humans than gain feels good. Could be a reason why saying such as “to be human is to suffer,” and why humans, in general are so risk adverse, and only the few of us take the risks necessary to move things forward (and many of them becoming addicts, needing constant short term “hits” whether drugs, gambling, sex, whatever - as gains don’t feel as good as loss hurts).

This can certainly be seen in bad days on the stock market, despite what we all intellectually understand.

For whatever it is worth, remember to appreciate that loss feels more awful than gain, and the good feeling of gain is more transitory, and needs constant reaffirmation. To invest properly we need to understand this, and not overreact to loss, nor continually needing hit after hit of positive gains in order to stay the course.

I can say, that I have literally not made millions of dollars because of this sort of human mentality. Obviously I am a risk taker, but when those around you don’t support you or trust you, you can fall into bad investing mentality. Invest for the long-term, in quality, understand there is a time to sell, but it is not because of emotion, and don’t let this human psychological reality cause undue stress in your life, nor get in the way of your investing success.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), I’ve come to a point in life where I don’t care one way or the other. Loss, gain, all part of what happens in the world, each equal. Probably because I’ve been through it too often, gain this, lose that, make it back…the wheel always turns. But I think each of us should get to the place in our portfolios where we can be like this. That loss is as expected as gain, and that we are good with it either way, as there is no gain without potential for loss, just like you cannot hire anyone if you also don’t have the right to fire them. It is all a necessary part of the process.

Esoterically yours (and maybe of more general interest than that),

Tinker

38 Likes

Tinker,

Motley Fool should copy this post and it should become the “standard response” on all of their boards when a person starts down the path of “xyz stock has lost 5% today, should i sell? Why doesn’t MF give guidance”

We have all seen the person that needs to get talked down from their tree and this response by Tinker is the perfect solution.

Thanks,

JK

2 Likes

Thank you for one of the best posts on MF.

For me, reaching the point of indifference would mean than I had enough money to be able to live off of bond and dividend interest, and only have a “play” account in growth stocks and options trading.

I have quite a bit more in cash right now than I did 14 months ago. But that’s partly-to-largely because of not knowing where to put my gains from sales, which included a lot of options.