Today's Global Conditions

For Discussion Purposes:

Today’s Comparative Global Market Performance as of 1:22PM in NY (per Fidelity)
Top 3 and Bottom 3 Performers shown in Bold

Americas

S&P 500 - 1.59%
NASDAQ - 1.35%
DJIA - 2.02%
Canada - 0.58%
Chile - 1.96%
Mexico - 0.35%

Europe, Middle East, Africa

Eurozone - 3.08%
France - 3.94%
Germany - 3.53%
Italy - 4.18%
United Kingdom - 1.72%
South Africa + 2.22%

Asia-Pacific

Australia + 0.65%
China + 0.81%
Hong Kong - 0.28%
Japan + 1.20%
New Zealand + 2.66%
Singapore - 1.29%

I can understand why Italy, Germany, and France are the worst performers today. I also can understand why South African Gold might be in demand. However, I don’t understand why New Zealand and Singapore are relatively strong today.

As long as my port is outperforming the US averages, I’ll sit tight. However, I’m glad to have reduced the size of some of my bets.

Despite rampant inflation, cash just feels better overnight with death and destruction are being intentionally inflicted upon old women and little children by targeting residential dwellings.

Among the Geneva Convention are the following:

UN Declaration on the Protection of Women and Children in Emergency and Armed Conflict

Paragraphs 4 and 5 of the 1974 UN Declaration on the Protection of Women and Children in Emergency and Armed Conflict state:

1. All the necessary steps shall be taken to ensure the prohibition of measures such as persecution, torture, punitive measures, degrading treatment and violence, particularly against that part of the civilian population that consists of women …

2. All forms of repression and cruel and inhuman treatment of women … including imprisonment, torture, shooting, mass arrests, collective punishment, destruction of dwellings and forcible eviction, committed by belligerents in the course of military operations or in occupied territories shall be considered criminal. [Emphasis added.]

https://ihl-databases.icrc.org/customary-ihl/eng/docindex/v2…

1 Like

I don’t understand why New Zealand and Singapore are relatively strong today.

SGX is made up of just 30 companies and much like our own DOW, can be moved by a single company. NZX is similar in that it is just 50 companies. I don’t think either are equal weighted - or that you should infer anything special about a single day’s worth of movement.

Hawkwin
Who notes that ZS, part of the NASDAQ 100, is up over 6% today, yet the NASDAQ is down 1.5%.