Transaction-wise - very quiet week. Had pondered selling some ZIM shares, but then balked. GSM keeps getting cheaper - could not pass. Mid-week added to FRO. Found out last week, I can contribute more to Roth ac in 2023.
Very active day
- Trimmed VZ in taxable ac
- Trimmed VZ in Roth ac
- Trimmed AMZN in taxable ac
- Trimmed NAT in taxable ac
- Exited DDOG in Roth ac
- Exited FLGT in Roth ac
- Sold FRC in taxable ac
- Sold GOGL in taxable ac
- Added to QCOM in taxable ac
- Another FRO nibble
- Trimmed CPNG in Trading ac
- Under-$9, SFL was tempting- a nibble. At other times, I would not have done this transaction, There are certainly other ideas e.g. CLCO, TRMD. Maybe even NAT. But, I think I can wait for NAT to complete a better pullback
- Rumor of a new FLNG deal for Golar LNG (GLNG)
Nigeria’s NNPC, Norway’s Golar sign agreement on floating LNG plant (yahoo.com)
Somehow this item seems more along the lines of the Q3 2022 results i.e. constructuve talks with producers, vs we (producer) need immediate need for a FLNG asset e.g. the in-progress FLNG Mark 2 build. That’s just me - I could be wrong.
Cash being recycled into existing ideas - more VEEV, more BHP, more QCOM, more NAT.
Nibbled on ENPH today
Trimmed CPNG on bounce.
- Aaii! a short attack takes down a major holding - Icahn Partners (IEP).
What to do? Um, buy more IEP
- NAT retreats a little more. Again, buy more … two NAT nibbles
- A FRO nibble
- Another TRMD bite
05/03 - 05/04
- SBLK nibble
- IEP nibble
- FLNG nibble
- FRO nibble
- CPNG - taxable ac close out (smaller slice in Roth ac)
Last week it was IEP. This week it seems to be VATE - is this like the billionaire’s curse? (Icahn with IEP, Glazer with VATE)
IEP recovered some with the announcement of Q2 distribution (kept at $2). But price plunged again after SEC asked for docs.
TRMD took a small dive, even with decent results. I’m thinking, the build-up for the reserve ($1.8M per vessel on seven LR1s ) likely had a small impact on Q1 numbers. But, a Q1 2023 payout that make a 10% yield for the year very likely, is quite enticing. Added to position.
Then again, nice bounces from tech plays - GSM & ENTG
- ZIM shares took another dip
- VATE continues to plunge
- FLNG reported today and took a 5.72% hit.
Already realized losses with DDOG, DIS, TKLF
Taken body blows with QCOM, IEP too
May is beginning to feel like “death by a thousand cuts”
Week ending 05/19
- More RA
- More IEP
- More FLNG
- Cleared QQQ from taxable ac
- Another QYLD nibble
- NAT announced Q1 2023 results. Pretty good on the TCE and planned div. Still opted to monetize a portion of the stake.
- ZIM announced Q1 2023 results too. Not great; no income = no div in Q1. Glad I trimmed stake last week.
- GSM bounced - trimmed stakes in taxable, DRIP and Roth ac (still a Top 10 stake)
- Playing with fire? Added to VATE stake.
- Number of shipping ideas look interesting e.g. ESEA, GNK, TRMD (though they might have gone ex-div today)
Last day to trade on the TD Ameritrade platform. After the holiday, brokerage customers transition to Schwab. Figured I would complete some kind of trade to close out my experience with TD Ameritrade - a SBLK nibble.
IEP got slammed yesterday.
Wish I had a larger Nvidia (NVDA) stake prior to yesterday - now that’s a bounce
MRVL moved up some yesterday and dramatically today.
Had thought I had done all that was needed for my Schwab account transition - apparently not. Response from Schwab has been sad - waited on hold about 8 min, then opted for a call-back. No call after 55 min, so I called Schwab back. Gave them my call-back number after about 4-5 min of being on hold. Schwab finally called after 15 min. After a temp password, and a password reset, I finally got access to my Schwab accounts, The taxable and IRA accounts are linked - not a major fan of this feature,
Golar announced Q1 23 results - negative (a loss) and positive (div & share buyback announcement) surprises. Older vessel has been sold,
A bunch of transaction the first few trading days of the month
- Added to VEEV
- Closed out VZ position - Yes, I have no Verizon
- COHR nibble
- Couple of FRO nibbles
- TRMD nibble
- Started a RYAM position again
- QCOM nibble (on pullback)
Tanker shipping names are getting clobbered. Bulkers dipped, then had a small rebound.
What’s the deal with VATE? Crazy 27% bounce. Decided it made sense to take some off the table. Both the taxable ac shares and the Roth ac shares represent gains. So I can re-enter VATE again without worrying about wash or disallowed loss. Nibbled on WU. Took some ABEV gains in Roth ac (maybe 1.5 - 2% early, but remaining shares are lower cost). GOGL nibble for Roth ac
- About 25% drop was a huge tumble for VATE today. That was a good call I made on VATE. Next decision - Do I want to try VATE again?
- Realized additional gains with ABEV. Idea has reached its target price area, so easier to decide on
- Added more IEP to Roth ac
- WU nibble in both Roth ac and taxable ac. A basic business that still has a great market in US & Internationally
- ENTG nibble in taxable ac
A couple more dividends showed up yesterday. I know the PDT DRIP did not occur due to account transition. I probably need to get clarification from Schwab on whether I need to -re-validate my DRIP holdings. Speaking of dividends, for TRMD’s position size, that was a really nice payout (Yes, I’m currently red with TRMD, but I think the share price will recover).
- All out - No stake currently in ABEV. Mentioned prior that ABEV is a “trading fish”, with around $3.20/sh as the upper end.
- Could VATE be a replacement trading fish idea? Certainly, a riskier one with more volatility than ABEV
- Had been slightly surprised at COHR bounce. Had considered selling some of the higher priced shares. Then, it took a price hit. Overall, still green with COHR, but some regrets.
- More FLNG? With all the cash sitting in the port, it could be a place for some of the cash.
Saw this SeekingAlpha article–
Tech is the strongest S&P segment in 2023, see the top 10 performing stocks in the sector | Seeking Alpha
It isn’t completely accurate. Three ideas I own or am tracking - MRVL, AEHR & ENTG would make the Top 5 of the list. I am guessing there are a bunch more that would shuffle that Top 10. But, there is definitely some data to be gleamed from the piece e.g. all 10 ideas are Large Caps. Would a general screen have been able to identify many on the list? Possibly, but maybe it would generate a lot more names. To myself, stay with my own approach - just be a little more firm in conviction.
In that vein, added to ENPH and initiated a SB position (nibble, but a start)
PDT announced a dividend cut on 07/03 - a 15% cut. Share price not reacting as badly (had price already adjusted in anticipation?). Another clean-up candidate & finance related again
A FRO purchase had gone in on 07/03, didn’t execute, and carried over to today. Right before a small FRO bounce - nice.
Another QCOM nibble on the pull-back. Another RYAM nibble.
A couple of interesting items
- Rare metals (Lynas) perking up?
- TMC going on a run the last week, up more than 250%
- Golar picked up an upgrade from Stifel
Golar LNG finally at catalyst stage and could double by year-end, Stifel says | Seeking Alpha
Been waiting for news on #3 for some time. Either development isn’t really a near term catalyst. Developments on Hilli are at least 4 years out (after current contract expires) and/or Mark II contract is at least 2-3 years out. The real near term catalyst is Gimi starting up in Q4 2023.
SeekingAlpha typically offers a bunch of random posts in a daily email. This one showed up in today’s (07/07) collection. A bunch of “lessons learned/advice” in condensed form
Seeking Schadenfreude - Part 2: Lessons Learned | Seeking Alpha
While waiting for CPNG to return to lower levels, nibbled on competitor - Sea (SE), SBLK nibble, BRK-B nibble, more RAYM
- Trimmed some of my IEP shares in the Roth ac
- Restarted VZ with a nibble
- More FRO in taxable ac
- More TRMD in Roth ac