Twilio's Q2 2020 Results

Vinegar101: They beat on revs (by $31mm) and earnings (non gaap consensus was -$.09, while they posted positive $0.09) for this quarter, and their forecast for revs is higher than the consensus ($404M guidance for next Q vs $381M consensus (6% raise)). I think the numbers are objectively quite good, but relatively, they are still not as good as a lot of our other stocks.

Twilio Announces Second Quarter 2020 Results
August 04, 2020
Second Quarter Total Revenue of $400.8 million, up 46% Year-Over-Year
Second Quarter Total Revenue Dollar-Based Net Expansion Rate of 132%
SAN FRANCISCO–(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Twilio (NYSE: TWLO), the leading cloud communications platform, today reported financial results for its second quarter ended June 30, 2020.

"Organizations in nearly every industry are turning to Twilio as they identify new ways to communicate with their customers and stakeholders,” said Jeff Lawson, Twilio’s co-founder and CEO. “We are just scratching the surface of this huge opportunity, and we believe the solutions being built today using our customer engagement platform will be the standard for digital engagement in the future.”

Second Quarter 2020 Financial Highlights

Total revenue of $400.8 million for the second quarter of 2020, up 46% year-over-year.
GAAP loss from operations of $102.6 million for the second quarter of 2020, compared to $93.7 million for the second quarter of 2019.
Non-GAAP income from operations of $9.5 million for the second quarter of 2020, compared to $1.5 million for the second quarter of 2019.
GAAP net loss per share attributable to common stockholders of $0.71 for the second quarter of 2020, based on 141.6 million weighted average shares outstanding, compared to a net loss per share of $0.72 for the second quarter of 2019.
Non-GAAP diluted net income per share attributable to common stockholders of $0.09 based on 153.7 million non-GAAP weighted average shares outstanding, compared to net income per share of $0.03 for the second quarter of 2019.
Key Metrics and Recent Business Highlights

More than 200,000 Active Customer Accounts as of June 30, 2020, up 24% year-over-year.
Dollar-Based Net Expansion Rate, calculated using total revenue, was 132% for the second quarter of 2020, compared to 141% for the second quarter of 2019.
3,284 employees as of June 30, 2020.
Welcomed Michelle Grover as the company’s first Chief Information Officer.
Twilio SendGrid crossed a new milestone, surpassing three trillion processed emails since inception.
Twilio was named to Fast Company’s second annual list of the 100 Best Workplaces for Innovators.
Outlook

Twilio is initiating the following guidance for the third quarter ending September 30, 2020.

Q3 FY20
Guidance

Revenue (millions): $401 - $406 (36% - 38% y/y growth)

Non-GAAP loss from operations (millions): ($15) - ($10)

Non-GAAP loss per share ($0.09) - ($0.05)

Non-GAAP basic shares outstanding (millions) 145

Also, some of you have probably noticed, I am having formatting issues lately with the motley fool. I tend to write longer posts into microsoft word and then paste them here into the motley fool discussion boards. Doing so seems to result in odd formatting, random question marks appearing, etc. If any of you have formatting advice (especially on writing longer posts), please email me off the board, since I suppose it is off topic.

38 Likes