Ubiquity's awesome new consumer product

Well there is already competition. But so far UBNT has beaten them all on cost, quality and experience :slight_smile: Validates Pera’s core principle (also my core belief) that they can provide great products at disruptive price by focusing on R&D and cutting down on sales/marketing.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/these-routers-fix-wi-fi-dead-zon…
https://t.co/FrJKOI8ldt
https://t.co/kPvbv6U7jT

There are more reviews. Keep a tab on Amplifi’s twitter feed.
https://twitter.com/amplifihome

Almost every review I have seen in the last few weeks places Amplifi at the top for both cost and quality.

That said I always had concerns that consumer products require at least some sales and marketing, till the work of mouth takes over.

But hey 2.5 million views is great ! I bought one in late August, arrived this week. So demand sure is robust.

2 Likes

Thanks so much to everyone who chimed in on this issue!

Again, I wasn’t trying to dampen the spirits of those of us who own shares of Ubiquity; rather, I was trying to make the point that a video of what appears to be an exciting product might not be that much of a big deal from an investor’s perspective.

All, this is slightly off topic for which I apologize. I am a complete tech nerd. I currently receive internet through ATT Uverse. I believe it has a combined modem/router. Is this product compatible? Many thanks

Is this product compatible?

I presume that you could plug that router into the router/modem you have now, but you couldn’t replace that router without also getting a modem.

But, the first question is whether there is any point. Do you have places in your house where you do not get a good WiFi signal? Are computers connected via WiFi significantly slower in their internet connection than ones that are hard-wired ( e.g., tested using something like http://www.speedtest.net/ )? How does this speed compare with the rated speed for the service you subscribe to?

For example, I also have Uverse and my subscription is for the nominal 12 mbps service. A speedtest from my desktop just now gave me 15.32 mbps, nicely over what I am paying for. From my phone which is connected via WiFi, I get 15.25 mbps … not meaningfully different and also above rated speed. So, my only possible justification would be dead spots in the house, which I don’t have.

1 Like

I have never used the speed test. Thank you for that. Believe the problem comes from having a large house with large family.
I know others have commented that this product may not impact the stock much but if its helpful this consumer would give it a try.

Again, I wasn’t trying to dampen the spirits of those of us who own shares of Ubiquity; rather, I was trying to make the point that a video of what appears to be an exciting product might not be that much of a big deal from an investor’s perspective.

I doubt it will really have any impact at all. I am not sure how most internet providers work in the US but don’t they all pretty much give a wireless router as part of the package? I know very few people that upgrade the basic router from that what comes with their provider.

I’ve clocked my download at 200Mbps (80Mbps upload) so a product like this would make sense. I did upgrade my router through the ISP as part of my installation package and had already wired most of the rest of the house so it wouldn’t be something that I would look at now.

If they got their product bundled with ISPs, it probably could sell but they would require sales people to work those kind if deals.

I think it is nice but will have very little sales with consumers.

Hi AJ,

Regarding the lack of sales force. This is UBNT entering into the general consumer world, which is a little bit different from their traditional market. Traditionally, there would be a lot of network admins using network forums and through word of mouth, UBNT rises to the top. There was no need to spend money on sales/advertising.

The mass market consumer world is slightly different. Yes this fresh-out of the box easy to set up functionality is great, but I’m not sure most households will be scouting on forums looking for the best router. They’ll just use the ones provided by their ISP or look for the best rating on amazon. And even if it’s 5/5 stars, you’re comparing a $200 product vs a $30 one. I have no idea how popular amplifi will be. You have the likes of netgear, Linksys, TP-Link, buffalo, which are probably a little more recognisable names to the average user. Although I’m sure the average user just doesn’t care.

I hope Amplifi does well. I don’t have the acumen to suggest reasons why or why not. But just wanted to point out the different market might require a different sales tactic.

4 Likes

I sold UBNT for all the previous reasons and have not re-established a position because of the previous 3 or 4 problems where Mr. Pera had to ride in on his white horse to save the day–slay the dragons that his incompetent people had allowed into the kingdom.

However, I will contribute this: I will go to the local mall and see if the computer shops are stocking this awesome new consumer product or if the shelves are stuffed with only TP-Link. After all, if it is a consumer product it needs to be seen by consumers, right? Otherwise, they are still depending on the few technicians to connect the product to the consumer–and that will be a slow marketing process out here in the 3rd world.

KC, who has his Ubiquiti (non-functioning) equipment in storage and who has a naked, 80 ft tower to gaze at.

I will go to the local mall and see if the computer shops
You still have physical computer shops in your country? They have all but closed down here in Singapore.
Ant

2 Likes

“Half” of the shops and kiosks in the malls are cell phones, computers, mobile service providers and the like. At least out here in the provinces. Manila, Cebu, don’t know.

KC