UK House of Commons ZOOMS!

This is just too good of an endorsement not to post about it. A whole country being run on ZOOM!

House of Commons agrees to allow Zoom app in Parliament, British MPs will still have to dress smartly
How long till this gets hacked?

The House of Commons today approved so-called “hybrid sessions” – MPs participating in Parliament in person and via video conferencing – marking arguably the biggest change in British parliamentary procedure in centuries.

The changes, which are designed to allow a continuity of parliamentary business during the coronavirus pandemic, enter into effect tomorrow. The new working arrangements were outlined in an extraordinarily quiet Commons by Leader of the House Jacob Rees-Mogg MP, where social distancing was being strictly adhered to.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/21/uk_commons_agrees_t…

Denny Schlesinger

22 Likes

It’s all broadcasted on TV so it doesn’t really matter if it does.

It’s all broadcasted on TV so it doesn’t really matter if it does.

I don’t understand your comment. Of course the debate has been broadcast on TV for years but without Zoom they can’t debate from home. The point I’m making is that they picked Zoom and not some competitor despite all the anti Zoom campaign of the past few weeks.

So, how does it not matter?

Puzzled!

Denny Schlesinger

7 Likes

Sorry Denny - I was referring to the comment about “how long until it gets hacked”.

It was a throwaway comment anyway and not super relevant to the discussion. Forget I made it.

bobbbino, thanks for clearing that up!

When I was doing the copy-paste I wondered whether I should edit out the hacking comment. It looked like part of the anti-Zoom media campaign. I further wondered if I should add that “If Zoom is good enough for The House of Commons, it’s good enough for most everybody.”

In Portugal there is talk about allowing real estate to be traded electronically. The world is not going to abandon the benefits of online once the pandemic is over. I have been managing my portfolio online from before the WWW was invented. I had an E-Trade account on CompuServe. My handle, captainccs (Captain Caracas), was suggested by a fellow on CompuServe’s MAUG – Micronetworked Apple Users Group Inc.

Zoom might not want retail users but it’s going to have to learn to love them. There is no going back.

Denny Schlesinger

4 Likes

The point I’m making is that they picked Zoom and not some competitor despite all the anti Zoom campaign of the past few weeks.

To which I would add parenthetically that despite the negative publicity Zoom usage has zoomed (ha) from 200 million to 300 million in just a matter of weeks. That is not to be dismissed.