Uncle Warren Sells off JNJ & P&G

1 Like

I can see shying away from J&J, since that company spun off it’s consumer products division, as management decided the prescription meds side had greater potential for price gouging and profit escalation…until the pols started posturing about the price gouging and profit escalation.

Not so sure about P&G. It has done well for me, and it not that heavily into drugs.

Steve

2 Likes

Former Gillette employee and P&G stock owner here - I read recently that P&G was taking a $2.5B write down of the Gillette business. I have to say among my former Gillette peers / colleagues - P&G really screwed up the G business by trying to merchandise the G products the same as they do for other P&G lines of business and it didn’t work.

They still own the former Gillette NA plant in South Boston which they claim is underutilized, and they’ve announced recently that it will be redeveloped or sold. This property is high value on the edge of downtown along Fort Point Channel and across the street from a major MBTA station at South Boston.

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/pg-record-up-25-bln-charges-related-gillette-business-restructuring-2023-12-05/

I haven’t kept up with the rest of the business units lately, but if the rest of them are somewhat struggling, then I might see why Warren would consider selling. I also do think that P&G has a high pricing model across all its brands and may also be facing high production and raw material costs (read reduced margins / profitability) as well.

Cheers,
'38Packard

3 Likes

That is for sure, has been for a long time. I don’t touch Tide, even on sale. But then, most consumers seem to have the analytical ability of a turnip, See my previous comments about Breyer’s ice cream, so substandard some flavors can’t even be called “ice cream”, but it’s priced higher than better quality alternatives.

Steve

1 Like

What the heck is wrong with Tide?

JimA

2 Likes

This might seem like a stone under the princess but it might matter. There are a few of these on the market by different companies. Henson is by far the best and the only one to recommend.

My shaving cost is $6 per year. I would never use a cartridge-shaving head ever again.

Safety razors were always a better shave but five or six cuts per shave.

Henson does not ever have to cut you if you use it properly. It is easy to use properly.

1 Like

The price, as 38 said. I usually use Arm & Hammer.

Steve

1 Like

I just bought some Tide; the smallest package but enough to last me 3 plus years - for only $14.49!

It supports the companies I’ve invested in and I get some back in dividends. What is not to like in the grand scheme of things?

JimA

I do two loads per week. Right now, the smallest jug of Tide, rated at 64 loads, costs $13.49. A 105 load jug of Arm & Hammer is $9.99. The 50 load jug is regularly $5.99, but is on sale this week for $3.99.

Steve

3 Likes

How do you manage that? I had the impression you were single, without attachments and yet you manage to do 2 loads a week? I’m old, single, no attachments, no obligations and walk around my condo nude most of the time. I’m not even sure I do a load of laundry once a month or maybe every 6 weeks. You know if you wear your clothes for 2 hours a day; then you can get several weeks out of a set of clothing!

JimA

2 Likes

Well…

I change bed linens every week. Wash bath and hand towels weekly. I change underwear daily. In cold weather I use flannel jammies. I have a set of grubs: jeans and t-shirt in summer, jeans and my Office Depot sweatshirt in the winter, that I wear around the house, and wear when exercising: pedaling the exercise bike 5 days/week in the winter and walking 2 miles around the hood 5 days/week in the summer. That workout gets whatever I’m wearing very sweaty. And a second pair of jeans, and t-shirt/flannel shirt that I wear when I go out, and I go somewhere almost every day.

No-one that has seen a demonstration by a Kirby salesman will not want to change his bed linens often. One of the demonstrations was vacuuming the sheet on my bed. The amount of dead skin cells the vacuum picked up was gross beyond words.

Steve…running laundry since age 12.

2 Likes

I use the Kirkland in-house brand detergent. I think it is biodegradable which gives me some piece of mind. I avoid chemicals to a degree. Tide is a very nice product but that does not secure in my mind that the chemicals in it won’t over time do a lot of DNA damage to the skin and blood.