Uppity indigenous people in Vancouver

Vancouver has long been nicknamed the “city of glass” for its shimmering high-rise skyline. Over the next few years, that skyline will get a very large new addition: Sen̓áḵw, an 11-tower development that will Tetrize 6,000 apartments onto just over 10 acres of land in the heart of the city. Once complete, this will be the densest neighbourhood in Canada…

Because the project is on First Nations land, not city land, it’s under Squamish authority, free of Vancouver’s zoning rules. And the Nation has chosen to build bigger, denser and taller than any development on city property would be allowed…

There’s also been a persistent sense of disbelief that Indigenous people could be responsible for this futuristic version of urban living. In 2022, Gordon Price, a prominent Vancouver urban planner and a former city councillor, told Gitxsan reporter Angela Sterritt, “When you’re building 30, 40-storey high rises out of concrete, there’s a big gap between that and an Indigenous way of building.”

The subtext is as unmissable as a skyscraper: Indigenous culture and urban life—let alone urban development—don’t mix. That response isn’t confined to Sen̓áḵw, either. On Vancouver’s west side, the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations—through a joint partnership called MST Development Corp.—are planning a 12-tower development called the Heather Lands. In 2022, city councillor Colleen Hardwick said of that project, “How do you reconcile Indigenous ways of being with 18-storey high-rises?” (Hardwick, it goes without saying, is not Indigenous.)

DB2

2 Likes

LOL!

Tell Gordon Price that
IF
indigenous people are doing it,
THEN
Ipso Facto
it necessarily is an indigenous way of building.

Sheesh, they used to do an excellent job of teaching logic in Canadian public schools.

Given the intelligent dense design pluncked right smack dab in the middle of a major urban center all I can say is put more “indigenous” thinking people into positions of power in Californian urban planning!!

But no, we decided long ago to exterminate rather than monetarily settle with the California indigenous…

d fb

5 Likes

Tell Gordon Price that
IF
indigenous people are doing it,
THEN
Ipso Facto
it necessarily is an indigenous way of building.

Absolute nonsense but a non too good word sleight of hand. It is not Indigenous in anyway. Just having a, Indigenous Person do a thing does not mean it is ipso facto “an indigenous way.” They are “Acting White”. Modern building techniques and codes. They didn’t learn it from the Native Inhabitants. Maybe moving up? Maybe racial and therefor racist cultural misappropriation? Different people will have different ways of describing it.

1 Like

Once complete, it will be the largest carbon neutral rental development in Canada - District Energy - Sen̓áḵw

Pretty sweet for people who are only supposed to build longhouses.

4 Likes

FCorelli - I do not know you and I have no idea where you are coming from, but the words you posted sound very hostile and insensitive to my ears. I would blindly bet money that The Peoples would incorporate a whole lot of their own culture into a huge effort like this. And, I give them all the support a white boy whose parents immigrated here I can possibly give.

1 Like

Uf! Your overall comment lands pretty hard, not sure you intended it that way. If you did…geesh.

What it comes down to is this. It’s their land, they can choose to build whatever they want on it. They’re developing the land to ensure financial stability for their future. Any critique centered on it not being “indigenous enough” is rooted in assholery.

7 Likes

They should stay in their tee pees or other such archaic structures? Maybe they shouldn’t have running water, central heat? Geesh! Do some of us not understand the dog whistle here?

3 Likes

There were large cities in various parts of North and South America over the last 2000+ years. They lasted for some time, until there was a major climate or other ecological change that made them uninhabitable.