Used EV Market Bad Omen

“I also have a 2007 Prius, still on its original traction battery.”

Likely it’s going to die, and soon. I’m sure hot hot weather in Dallas didn’t do any favors for preserving old battery about to fail.

My local Toyota dealer said most fail 10-12 years of age.

I got a factory new battery - 3 year 30000 mile warranty. You can buy others for $1400 but 1 year warranty.

I don’t think they really resell ‘rebuilt’ ones - they’ll sell you modules if you want to tinker with it and find the bad module and replace it - of course the others are likely on last legs too.

One of the hybrid ‘gotchas’ and some are lot more than $1800 for the battery - like 3-5 times as much.

t.

1 Like

I got a factory new battery - 3 year 30000 mile warranty. You can buy others for $1400 but 1 year warranty.

I don’t think they really resell ‘rebuilt’ ones - they’ll sell you modules if you want to tinker with it and find the bad module and replace it - of course the others are likely on last legs too.

Interesting. I wasn’t aware they were still selling new batteries for those old models. I’d heard rebuilds were all you can get.

Yeah, I’m thinking about selling my 2007 … should get good value in this used car market. I’ve never bought a new car yet, but I’m thinking about a Prius Prime, the plug-in version. I could use the $4500 federal tax credit and they’re supposed to be good cars. Only thing I don’t like is the cargo space is partially eaten up by the traction battery, so it lacks the full utility of the regular hybrid Priuses.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m thinking about selling my 2007 … should get good value in this used car market. I’ve never bought a new car yet, but I’m thinking about a Prius Prime, the plug-in version.

I’d have already done this with my '06 Civic Hybrid, if only there was a Prime in the area for me to buy…

I’d have already done this with my '06 Civic Hybrid, if only there was a Prime in the area for me to buy…

www.carmax.com/cars?search=prius+prime

www.carvana.com/cars/filters?cvnaid=eyJmaWx0ZXJzIjp7ImZyZWVU…

DB2