Vegetables are losing their nutrients

… next they’ll be telling us that Rice Krispies are losing their “Snap, Crackle, Pop”

intercst

2 Likes

It was Strawberry Season in Portugal. The Strawberries were huge! Back home the Strawberries were much smaller and sour to boot. I stopped eating them because I didn’t want to add sugar.

The Portugal Strawberries were so tempting I could not resist…

TASTELESS!

Only the size increased, the same amount of flavor was diluted into a much larger fruit.

I would not be surprised if the same happens to nutrients.

The Captain

5 Likes

We find you have to be aware of where strawberries are grown. We won’t buy them if they are grown in FL, because as you say, beautiful but tasteless. California strawberries tend to be the best, assuming there’s nothing local in the farmers market. It’s also one of the foods I buy organic. It’s one of the Dirty Dozen, which rate high on pesticides, but I have conducted blind taste tests with the family and organic wins every time.

IP

4 Likes

The place to grow is in your backyard if you have the space. DW had a friend that hated tomatoes. Was finally convinced to try some we had grown and they love them now and are trying to grow their own. Can’t beat picking at perfect ripeness.

We tried to grow strawberries but the birds and chipmunks got the majority so not worth the effort in our small garden. Ironically, we find FL strawberries better than CA. Possibly because of lesser distance traveled for delivery, 500 miles vs. cross country.

4 Likes

Space isn’t the problem. Critters are. It’s a constant battle that I am done with. We have to harvest our figs before the birds and the bees attack, (letting them ripen on the counter,) not to mention the groundhog that broke branches trying to get to his now favorite food. HE has been conquered, but no doubt another will arrive soon. Squirrels love our grape tomatoes. Rabbits eat everything in sight and then there are the deer that simply vault the fence. I have stopped battling the birds for the blueberries, which even fully netted did not stop those birds from access. This sweet critter was kind enough to only grab the persimmons we could not reach…last year. No doubt now that he knows where the tree is, he will be back, assuming he doesn’t think it was all a dream. Actually fell asleep in the tree from a sugar crash:

Large scale farms have to grow tasteless produce. It’s too hard to grow the good stuff!

IP

4 Likes

I think this is true of most fruits. When I buy fruits, I examine the look, color, feel, aroma, and size (I use the Goldilocks Rule for size. Not too small, not too big, just right!)

Large fruit is nature’s way of punishing greedy people.

3 Likes

One problem is soil depletion of minerals. Plants grow and absorb the limited elements from the soil. When they are harvested the minerals are taken away. Micronutrients, such as selenium, are lost.

The article mentions iron and zinc. Those could be added to the soil since they are inexpensive and relatively non-toxic. The real answer to soil depletion is adding old-fashioned organic fertilizers such as animal manure or seaweed. But this is expensive and not scalable to industrial agriculture.

Wendy

5 Likes

We used to put bird netting over our fig tree until it got about 7 feet tall. Then it produced so much that I didn’t care if we lost some to the birds. DW would make jam and we would have enough to last a year until next harvest.

I got good and building modular chicken wire fencing to keeps the rabbits away. The only thing they went after though were the green beans and herbs while leaving the tomatoes alone. Never had a deer problem, probably because there is too much easier to reach stuff outside the fence.

Did wind up taking out a peach tree. The squirrels would pick it clean while everything was still green no matter what deterrent method I used besides a shotgun.

1 Like