VMware acquires Heptio

VMware acquires Heptio, the startup founded by 2 co-founders of Kubernetes

https://techcrunch.com/2018/11/06/vmware-acquires-heptio-the…

I think they’d fit better with PVTL, but maybe this is more about Dell propping up VMWare against Nutanix than putting the pieces where they’d fit best?

Interesting nonetheless…

Paul

1 Like

Who would have predicted that (https://discussion.fool.com/ibm-didn39t-buy-redhat-for-their-lin…?) Watch for Docker next, though my money would be on Microsoft if it had to be on anyone. The play is not HCI. The play is the control plane, which is Kubernetes (and the unit of which is containers). I would expect Oracle to do something dumb, like acquire Mesosphere.

1 Like

Excellent call!

I remember that post, but at the time the name Heptio didn’t ring any bells. I’m not as up on the kubernetes space as I ought to be, and don’t really know the product itself as well as I ought to either.

This seems to spell disaster for NTNX. I understood from the get-go this wasn’t about HCI. I think HCI is important, but is still very premature. We’re still in the early-adopter phase of cloud tech. People are still trying to understand how to use it and what it means. The early adopters are “all-or-nothing” wrt the cloud. The late adopters are still waiting to see where things shake out. They’ll be the ones in 3-5 years who care about HCI and/or on-prem private clouds.

My biggest concern right now around the whole container/orchestration realm is, how much does serverless impact this? Serverless seems to be the ideal. Total IaC means you can eliminate a lot things developers don’t want to think about like system level OS choices, configuration management, networking, etc. The one big monkey wrench I see in achieving that nirvana is that serverless is also proprietary. A solution designed for AWS won’t work on Azure or Google. And vice-versa. And it’s not even close to portable.

The one great thing about Kubernetes and Docker is that you can run your apps anywhere across all types of cloud. But, the ideal is to get as far away from the OS as possible, which makes both Docker and Kubernetes merely an interim solution.

Unless there’s something I’m missing…

Paul - who has a love/hate relationship with Docker…

5 Likes