Walmart closing all its health clinics AND virtual health services

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/30/business/walmart-closes-health-clinics/index.html

Not profitable and escalating operating costs.

3 Likes

“One of unique things was they were focused on stores located in underserved communities.”

I guess there were reasons they were underserved.

DB2

1 Like

I could understand a shortage of healthcare workers. But telehealth would be the lowest cost way to offer something, especially if it was supported (even partially) by the govt.

2 Likes

If Walmart can’t do it who can? It just shows how hard it is to provide healthcare to a small community. But the people in the small community are most likely the ones who want a small government. So, its true, you get what you pay for.

Andy

Nifty contradiction. Enough people AND incomes for a Walmart store to physically be there, but not enough for health care?

1 Like

From the article:

Walmart had made a big push into health care in recent years, opening clinics next to its superstores that offered primary and urgent care, labs, X-rays, behavioral health and dental work — Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Missouri and Texas.

Florida, Georgia, and Texas have not expanded Medicaid. I wonder if or how that affected the profitability?

3 Likes

This is one of those areas that gov’t needs to step in. Places where a real need exists that is not profitable for a public company to do.

3 Likes

Beat before you start. Tell people they will be taxed, to benefit someone else, other than a “JC”, and you are dead in the water.

Steve

1 Like

Not every business, makes money with every item, at every location. Some business models work in a location where another business model would fail in the same location. I suspect you just need to go to a small community and ask them, “Do you remember when you had a hospital?” Then sit back and listen to what they have to say.

Andy

There are Three ways to solve this. Get government help, move to an area that has better healthcare, stay in the location and just put up with it. Let’s see what happens.

Andy

2 Likes