Waterproofing a vase

Mrs. Goofy bought a vase at an art show thinking she would use it for flowers on the kitchen counter. First time she put water in, oops, water on the countertop. The vase is ceramic, but not glazed, and obviously not watertight.

Is there some way to put some sort of goo inside the vase that would form an impermeable shield so she could use it as planned? I should mention that it’s a bud vase with a very small opening, so I have no ability to brush anything on. I would have to pour the goo in through the top and swirl it around to achieve the inside coating.

If you know of a specific product I’d be happy to hear, but generic advise would be appreciated too.

Hey Goofy. The boss says there is a product called Pottery Glaze. You might want to Google it but she mentioned they use it at the stores where kids go to learn pottery. She also mentioned the product goes on the outside not the inside.

Regards,
ImAGolfer

I would get some epoxy paint and coat the inside. Put a little in, rotate while tipping to see how high you can coat. Add a little more, tip & roll. Repeat until the coating is near the top.

You do not want to have any excess that will puddle on the bottom - hence the idea of adding small amounts.

2 Likes

Then brush on the rest, if desired.

Pick a contrasting or complementary color for artsy-ness. Pick something very close to the existing unfinished color to hide the modifications.

–Peter

I think a product like polyurethane would do the trick. It is pretty low viscosity so would flow around easily to coat the inside of the vase and it dries clear. It may take a couple of applications to build up some thickness depending on how porous the vase material is. My two cents anyway. :coin: :coin:

Apply an epoxy coating - one with fairly low viscosity (very liquid) so it can be poured in then excess poured out. System 3 has epoxies you could use, as does West System. If you know someone that does surfboards or builds boats, they can potentially help you out.

Alternatively - if you don’t want to alter the vase, get a glass test tube that can slip into the neck of the vase - possibly you’ll have to add some thing to the bottom of the testtube so the top is even with the top of the vase - or have to cut the top of the testtube off so it doesn’t stick up too much.

1 Like

You want a two package epoxy where you add the catalyst just before you mix it. A free standing paint store like Sherwin-Williams will have it. (The single pack epoxies are epoxy ester and not as good. You want epoxy polyamide but most contain BPA. Not for food use.)

The paint used for swimming pools should work.

Two pack urethanes can also work. Urethane is tougher but epoxy has better water and chemical resistance.

If you adjust viscosity, you will need to get the thinner that goes with it. Typical mineral spirits paint thinner is not strong enough.

I’m surprised no one has suggested mounting the vase on something like a potter’s wheel (or lazy susan) and spinning it like in a centrifuge. Then inserting a (maybe) custom made long spray nozzle up and down while spraying to the side.
Oh. You are just doing this for one vase? If Mrs Goofy doesn’t go for this project maybe you could suggest dry flowers.

Mike

Keep it simpler, drop in some wax. maybe a chunk of an old candle, heat it up with maybe a propane torch or over the stove burner to melt the wax, rotate as needed… Likely last for ages…

4 Likes