Westport (WPRT)

I gained my notoriety a few years ago when MF was pounding the table saying everyone should buy WPRT (at about $31.00 when I looked at it), and I got people very angry at me for saying that it was impossible for WPRT to become profitable in the next five years, at least. Well MF finally sold recently at about $1.55 or so. It’s at $1.46 today.

Saul

25 Likes

Hey Saul -

I noticed, but didn’t closely follow your work on the SA WPRT board back then - but I do recall you posited that PSIX was a better choice then WPRT.

I found this post from September of 2014 (it is an SA post - sorry to those w/out access) where you were similarly posting an “I told you so” message. (I’ve no problem with you doing that by the way - you did call it!)

http://discussion.fool.com/1081/wprt-31429103.aspx

In that linked post, you recalled that you had earlier asked (and gotten folks angry as you say) why one would buy WPRT (a firm that was losing money)when they could buy PSIX - a similar company that was growing and profitable.

Both stocks were at about $29.50 at the time when you were suggesting PSIX over WPRT. By the time of the September 2014 post, WPRT was at $11, PSIX was at $69.

Just thought I’d point out that PSIX trades at $14.46 today. Still better then WPRT, no doubt - and you likely would have sold it as some point or another before the bottom fell out, but it think its important to point out that PSIX has fallen quite hard as well.

I still hold a tiny position in WPRT (was one of my small speculative allocations way back when - a solid 95% down now so it’s minuscule now…) I’d not be surprised as all of WPRT goes bankrupt, so I do intend to close out my position just to avoid all the pink sheet/delisting nonsense if it comes to that.

Thanks for the work you put in here.

Greg
BJRI, DAR & LUK Ticker Guide

See all of my holdings here:
http://my.fool.com/profile/CMFGalapagos/info.aspx

9 Likes

Just saw on the internet that Westport Innovations is receiving an investment from Cartesian Capital Group for approximately $70 million in financing.

Anyone think this provides a reason to hold onto Westport shares?

I remember the dust-up on the WPRT board well. You saved me a bundle and convinced me your were a Fool to follow carefully. Only thing I would note is that “notoriety” sounds pejorative. How about a reputation for honest, straight talk, even if it goes against the popular view or TMF party line.

Thanks for your on-going willingness to share.

David

14 Likes

PSIX trades at $14.46 today. Still better then WPRT, no doubt

Hi Greg. TEN TIMES better, actually!

and you likely would have sold it as some point or another before the bottom fell out,

And, as you know, yes, I did sell out of PSIX long ago.

Saul

Only thing I would note is that “notoriety” sounds pejorative. How about a reputation for honest, straight talk, even if it goes against the popular view or TMF party line.

Hi David, thanks. I was just being ironic in using notoriety, though I think the people “doubling down” in WPRT at the time considered me as notorious.

:wink:

Saul

Hi Saul,

Please do not disclose recommendations (buy or sell) from our newsletters outside of those services.

There are several reasons for this, but they generally boil down to keeping information confidential for members who have paid us for our views and service-specific recommendations. Revealing that information to others on a public discussion board such as this one is both unfair to those members and a violation of The Motley Fool’s Terms and Conditions of Service (specifically section 5, third paragraph at http://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx).

Thanks.

Jim

12 Likes

Please do not disclose recommendations (buy or sell) from our newsletters outside of those services.

Sorry, Jim, I didn’t say which service, or exactly when (I just said “recently”), but I guess I shouldn’t have said anything for 30 days or so. I think I (wrongly) assumed that once you sold out you didn’t care any more.
Saul

5 Likes

Saul:
I guess you do not buy stocks with negative EPS which is a good rule of thumbs I must admit.

Some were more willing to wait to see what could happen. Some did not want to wait.
Tt was a coin flip. Some said sell earlier and some said it later. On hindsight, the ones who said to sell earlier got their lucky call.

Certainly if you want to put down 20% or 10% or 5% of your money into one stock, you definitely did not want to put that much in WPRT.

tj