What a difference a week can make

Inspired by Ethan’s post, I thought I’d take a look at what I would have missed out on with some of my holdings if I’d got scared and sold out at the lows on February 9th. At least Ethan sold before these lows, but what struck me as interesting is that these lows were only 5 trading days ago! Also, even with the drop for Arista, they’re almost even with the Feb 9 low. The poor folks who sold in fear on February 9th have missed out on a tremendous week.

Stock       Low on 2/9      Current      Difference
Shopify       114.16        137.53         +20%
Wix            55.80         75.60         +35%
Arista        258.06        249.49         - 3%
Pure Storage   18.40         21.64         +18%
Hubspot        85.66        105.75         +23%
Talend         35.46         42.51         +20%
Alteryx        24.46         29.41         +20%

Others are similar, I just got bored calculating. It looks like so many stocks fluctuated 20% or more. In 5 days. Incredible. And Wix, which I’ve been pounding the pavement on because I think it’s undervalued, is up 35% from the low one week ago. I’m going to try to remember this when people are selling because of general market fear – it might be a phenomenal time to sell anything that’s not down (or is down only a little) and buy things I think are undervalued.

Bear

PS - I’m aware that for most of these, earnings came out this week and helped (except for Arista). But:

1. That should have been more reason not to sell on Feb 9!
    and
  2. Alteryx was up 20%, and Pure Storage was up 18%, without any earnings news!
12 Likes

According to Mark Twain February is a risky month in the market. The other risky months are October, December, January, July, March, August, April, November, June, May, and September.

Denny Schlesinger

9 Likes

Bear - you consider WIX & SHOP competitors, and if so, have you also considered BZUN or SQ?

I like smaller caps with potential upside…had not heard of WIX before.

I know TMF has touted TLND, but haven’t looked into it yet, but have been meaning to.
Any good previous posts on WIX or TLND you could point me towards?

thanks,
Dreamer

"Alteryx was up 20%, and Pure Storage was up 18%, without any earnings news!

Bear"

AYX has rallied as have many of the SAAS companies. MULE and BL reported and are up substantially; both rallied hard on their earnings reports. Maybe it’s bridge too far but to my eyes I’m seeing the SAAS model highlighted by Saul and others as coming to fruition right before our eyes.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=BL&p=D&b=5&g=0&…

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=MULE&p=D&b=5&g=…

Rob

2 Likes

Bear - you consider WIX & SHOP competitors, and if so, have you also considered BZUN or SQ?

I like smaller caps with potential upside…had not heard of WIX before.

I know TMF has touted TLND, but haven’t looked into it yet, but have been meaning to.
Any good previous posts on WIX or TLND you could point me towards?

Dreamer (and anyone else who is new to the board),

Many of these stocks are widely discussed on this very board. Saul does a monthly review of the stocks he owns, and several others of us have started doing the same. You can read about Wix and Talend and others on my most recent review, here: http://discussion.fool.com/bear39s-portfolio-through-jan-2018-32… You’ll see I also own Square. Baozun is a Chinese company which makes it harder for me to get all the information I’d like about them, and anyway their growth hasn’t impressed me like Shopify.

Saul’s reviews can be found at the “Additional Information” link you will see on the pane to the right of this post.

And no, I don’t consider Wix and Shopify to be competitors. :slight_smile:

Bear

3 Likes