What is internet2? (reprise)

I was just notified that an earlier post was deleted due to copyright rules. I am not sure what exactly that means as the source is public. Here is a link the article I quoted:

http://www.stackmojo.com/what-is-internet2/

And here is one detail from the article that is of particular interest to Infinera shareholders. Hopefully quoting one line from the article is ok:

The Internet2 backbone is usually an Infinera-based optical network that offers up to be able to 400Gbps of wavelength ability.

And here is what Internet2 is all about (from Wikipedia, not the source article, and I think there are no copyright problems if you are quoting Wikipedia, correct?):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet2

Internet2 is a not-for-profit United States computer networking consortium led by members from the research and education communities, industry, and government.[2] The Internet2 consortium administrative headquarters are located in Ann Arbor, Michigan, with offices in Washington, D.C. and Emeryville, California.[1]

As of November 2013, Internet2 has over 500 members including 251 institutions of higher education,[3] 9 partners and 76 members from industry,[4] over 100 research and education networks or connector organizations,[5][6] and 67 affiliate members.[7]

Internet2 operates the Internet2 Network,[8] an Internet Protocol network using optical fiber that delivers network services for research and education, and provides a secure network testing and research environment. In late 2007, Internet2 began operating its newest dynamic circuit network, the Internet2 DCN, an advanced technology that allows user-based allocation of data circuits over the fiber-optic network.

The Internet2 Network, through its regional network and connector members, connects over 60,000 U.S. educational, research, government and “community anchor” institutions, from primary and secondary schools to community colleges and universities, public libraries and museums to health care organizations.[9]

The Internet2 community develops and deploys network technologies for the future of the Internet. These technologies include large-scale network performance measurement and management tools,[10] secure identity and access management tools[11] and capabilities such as scheduling high-bandwidth, high-performance circuits.[12]

Internet2 members serve on several advisory councils,[13] collaborate in a variety of working groups and special interest groups,[14] gather at spring and fall member meetings,[15] and are encouraged to participate in the strategic planning process.[16]

Best,
–Kevin

15 Likes

Thanks again Kevin. I’ve had some puzzling deletions of posts too. This seems quite important for INFN so thanks very much for reposting it.
Saul

2 Likes