When Irish eyes aren't smiling

To have, say, a quarter of your village/town/city leave is to experience a loss, but the rhythm of life is basically unchanged. In contrast, to have a quarter of your village/town/city filled with people from another country/culture is quite a different experience.

DB2

@DrBob2

The Irish are aware of that. The high road is paved by principles. If we could leave for the US when literally starving who are we to turn away others?

Bob! You got cake!

:partying_face::tada: :clap::clap::clap:
ralph

1 Like

Oh, my. Twenty five years, slip slidin’ away.

DB2
You know, the nearer your destination
The more you’re slip slidin’ away

3 Likes

@DrBob2 Lemon cake…for he’s a jolly good fellow that nobody can deny…

1 Like

Where is your references or sources that this is true in 2023. Sinn Fein is for a united Ireland and EU membership. Both very good and powerful goals. Maybe that is why the are the majority party in Northern Ireland.

Sinn Fein knee caps Irish Catholics who go against it.

The majority in the north do not support Sinn Fein. The Protestants are completely against them.

Something like one-quarter or one-third of Southern Irish are Protestant.

Sinn Fein has 32% support currently with heavier support in the north.

You keep making things up when you do not know the politics on the ground.

It is highly questionable that Sinn Fein would want EU membership. The party is anti-immigrant. To the extent of probably kicking out many of the Ukrainian refugees.

A united Ireland means bloodshed. The Southern Irish do not want that. In their hearts, the Irish want it but not any of the blood. You keep thinking you can read a wiki page and that is all it takes.

If you read Sinn Fein is pro EU you have been had. Anyone can put up a wiki page and fool people for political purposes.

You forgot to provide reference to you mistaken ideas about Sinn Fein. Probably could not find any and just making up stuff.

LISBON, Oct 26 (Reuters) - The leader of Ireland’s main opposition party Sinn Fein on Thursday said she would travel across Europe to seek support for a united Ireland in the run-up to a parliamentary election due within 18 months that her party is favourite to win.

Mary Lou McDonald, who is seeking to become the country’s first female prime minister, was speaking during a two-day visit to Lisbon by a Sinn Fein delegation. She has previously said she was sure a referendum would happen in the next decade.

“We are anxious to talk to people about this project and also about the EU itself and where it goes next,” McDonald told reporters, adding she would “absolutely” travel to other European capitals ahead of the election.

Sinn Fein’s leadership was to meet political leaders, including the Portuguese foreign minister, to discuss, among other issues, “the need for preparations to begin for Irish unity”, the party said.

Under a 1998 peace deal, which largely ended three decades of violence between Catholic Irish nationalists and Protestant unionists, the British government can call a referendum on whether Northern Ireland should leave the United Kingdom if a “yes” majority looks likely.

Asked if she felt European leaders would support her party’s quest, McDonald said people seemed “very engaged” and interested but that they needed to be sure a referendum “would not be chaotic” like the Brexit vote and subsequent negotiations.

Leaders abroad want to be confident that Sinn Fein would “do things in an orderly, thoughtful and democratic way” and Sinn Fein is happy to give that assurance, McDonald said.

Sinn Fein, the former political wing of the Irish Republican Army (IRA), is by far the most popular in Ireland ahead of elections due by early 2025 and became the first party seeking to leave the United Kingdom to come out on top at elections in Northern Ireland in May last year.

Sinn Fein’s spokesperson on foreign affairs, Matt Carthy, travelled with McDonald to Lisbon and said the level of support for Ireland from European governments during Brexit negotiations was a shock to the British political system.

Their support, Carthy said, would also “be important in terms of ensuring that united Ireland will be a successful endeavour”.

1 Like

You are way off the mark. Protestants in Republic of Ireland is only 7%.

1 Like

There’s an “Ireland’s Great Hunger Museum” at Quinnipiac University in Hamden CT. It was oddly bankrolled by a Jewish businessman, Murray Lender, who was so moved by the stories of the Irish Famine that he started collecting a lot of historical artifacts and the art of the period.

About the Museum | Ireland’s Great Hunger Museum (ighm.org)

Unfortunately the museum closed during the COVID epidemic and hasn’t reopened.

intercst

1 Like

I don’t think of it as a famine. I’m ashamed to say it was a policy of starvation by us English. You can’t call it a famine when vast quantities of food from Ireland were being exported to England:

One of the many tragic ironies of the Great Hunger in Ireland is that as people died of starvation, thousands of tons of grain that could have saved them was instead shipped out of the country.

A most shameful piece of English history

4 Likes

All the Great Powers of history have had ignoble records of bad behavior.

There was an article during the start of the COVID pandemic about an Irish charity funding relief for the long suffering Choctaw Indians of Oklahoma.

The Choctaw Nation sent $170 in famine relief to Ireland in 1847, not long after the US Gov’t forced them from their land.

intercst

4 Likes

You’re doing a pretty good job of that yourself.

Doesn’t matter how much you try to finagle the statistics, the Irish Republic is still overwhelmingly Catholic…and even Northern Ireland has far greater numbers than the early days of partition. Maybe not a majority, yet…although I’ll wager getting closer.

Of course the support for Sinn Fein is lower in Northern Ireland. Less than half a century ago, the likes of Gerry Adams and those who’ve followed in his footsteps were the ones setting off nail bombs etc. If policies don’t gain support, historical differences and resentment works a treat.

1 Like

I’m of Irish ancestry, and I did not know that !

( my Mom’s Mom was put on a boat, alone as a 6 year old,
to be taken in by relatives in America, she was from Belfast.
How bad it must have been to put a 6 year old on a trans Atlantic journey to a new land ! I don’t know a lot of the details as I have no memory of my grandparents, but hopefully there were some neighbors or someone who watched over her on the boat. Thankfully it all worked out. )

2 Likes

I doubt your gran was put on a boat and left to fend for herself. This wave of emigration was via paid passages on commercial shipping lines, for the most part. Very few families could afford for everyone in a family…mum, dad and however many children…to travel all at once. Oftentimes the father would be the one to leave, get a job and start sending money back to finance the next in line (and maybe repay anyone who’d helped him out) Still tough to do to leave your child in someone else’s care…even a trusted family member…because they don’t always behave in the child’s best interests.

1 Like

“Still tough to do to leave your child in someone else’s care…even a trusted family member…because they don’t always behave in the child’s best interests.”

yup, the story passed down to me was that she had a very tough childhood, young adulthood. I have siblings that are 10+ years older than me, they knew her, speak very highly of her, say from what they remember that she was very much like our Mom, who was a very sweet person. So she came thru it just fine.

2 Likes

Instead of asking me to dance for you prove yourself. You know next to nothing about Ireland. Then you get on here and make statements that are false.

If you are going to quote political stuff out of Ireland…what politician does not lie?

I referenced that. You are correct. The family saying otherwise must have been referencing the mix on the entire island. Remember the vote is for the unification.

The Southern Irish are less supportive of Sinn Fein.

Yes the Catholics in the North are becoming the majority. But religion is playing less of a role as people are better educated.

Southern Ireland is less religious than much of the US in the legal codes.

====================

My comment first, there may have been a drop of 3% because of the O’Connell Street riot.

Support for Sinn Féin has dropped three percentage point but remains far ahead of rival parties, a new poll has indicated.

The latest Irish Business Post/Red C poll has support for Sinn Féin at 29 per cent – down from 32 per cent last month – but well ahead of Fine Gael on 20 per cent and Fianna Fáil on 16 per cent.

The poll also records an increase in support for independents by one percentage point to 13 per cent.

The next Irish general election is set to be held in 2025, however, speculation is mounting it could be called in 2024.

Good thing they don’t allow guns, like every other sane country in the world.

You have not shown one false statement that I have made.

I know more about Ireland than you think. My wife’s father was 100% Irish. My wife and I have been to Ireland and lived there for weeks at a time while doing genealogical and historical research. We met with historians, genealogists, politicians, and lots of friends, relatives and local history buffs in Ireland.

2 Likes