Will the Ukraine assault unite the US?

In a bipartisan show of support for Ukraine, Texas government officials are all supporting Ukraine, and expressing outrage against Putin.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2022/02/24/vladimir-put…

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2022/02/24/this-is-…

Texas Governor asks stores and restaurants to remove Russian goods.
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/texas/gov-abbott-tex…

The “experts” say that a good war will unite the citizens of a country.
Is Putin’s Ukrainian assault gonna have a silver lining for the US?
In Texas, the leaders are all bipartisan in condemning Putin.
I dont know what is the general Texas public’s POV.

What’s the view from other states?
:alien:
ralph

Nope. It will tear the US apart more. I posted a piece on the Quagmire whether the invasion would have happened had something been different in the US.

Steve

I don’t have a dig in the fight.

Still I have an opinion. Like all opinions it is not fully researched. Doing some more research I found a liberal that supported Bernie Sanders having
his opinions of the Ukraine
mess being touted by far right wing web sites.

The gist of the opinion os that the U.S. behavior since the fall
of the Soviet Union has led to this position. Further the capture of Ukraine by Russia was inevitable the day the new pro west government was installed in 2014. And, that Russia will use nukes to back its play if required.

Finally, U. S. military involvement is extremely dangerous and unwarranted.

While sanctions can have violent consequences, (Some say the bombing of Pearl Harbor was brought on by a steel embargo of Japan) they are required here. The removing of Russia from the SWIFT system is dramatic and may well lead to significant unintended consequences.

Cheers
Qazulight

1 Like

The gist of the opinion os that the U.S. behavior since the fall
of the Soviet Union has led to this position.

At sometime at some point in the history of the US someone is going to have to admit how another country acts is not the fault of America. No matter how many hoops are in the analysis. More specifically how many hoops are jumped through is tell. His analysis is that of a plate of spaghetti.

After the collapse of the Soviet system there was hope of a democratic republic in Russia. Russia failed herself and now the world. There is a sure and steady stream that got Russia on her own to mess up.

In all likelihood Putin will be hung by the Russians.

3 Likes

What’s the view from other states?

=====================================================

White supremacists are siding with Putin and Trump across the states.

Jaak

5 Likes

He could go out in a volley, like Ceau?escu. How about a dose of the nerve gas his agents fed Navalny?

Steve…when Navalny returned to Russia, I expected him to end up like Aquino

After the collapse of the Soviet system there was hope of a democratic republic in Russia. Russia failed herself and now the world. There is a sure and steady stream that got Russia on her own to mess up.

Yesterday I would have said this is unlikely. However, the situation has escalated. The EU, not NATO has sent war planes to Ukraine, and Putin had said he will attack any country the provides deadly weapons. Several counties have announced that they will send arms.

So, Putin has to respond or fold. If he responds he has to move toward thermonuclear war, if he folds he has to be deposed to get sanctions lifted.

Just like Operation Market Garden, or Operation Watch on the Rhine. There is a need for speed. Supplies, food, ammo and fuel only lasts so long and the supply lines cannot be built robust enough to win a drawn out battle. Once small arms channels, including anti tank and anti aircraft rockets are established, the insurgency cannot be rooted out.

It appears that Putin (This is a surprise to me because Putin is a skilled spy and should have had excellent intelligence) made a sad miscalculation about how many Ukrainians really did not want to be under the influence of Russia. As such Putin made a significant tactical error in not sealing the borders before attempting to take the cities.

Cheers
Qazulight

4 Likes

Qaz,

I am very conservative on foreign policy.

There was always a reason for the US to spend on the military as she has. The reasons have never left us.

Putin and Xi are a calculation of needing to be put down like rabid dogs, by their own peoples.

The Russians did not kill Hitler. A German lit the fire on the body. It is rare that an outside power needs to kill a dictator.

As someone else astutely put it in so many words, there is no retirement plan.

1 Like

White supremacists

and fascists in general. They love Putin.

1 Like

It is rare that an outside power needs to kill a dictator.

==================================================================

Stalin died in his bed and Hitler shot himself.

Ceausescu faced a firing squad, after elements of his own army abandoned him and joined the revolution.

Steve

No. of Recommendations: 0
It is rare that an outside power needs to kill a dictator.

==================================================================

Muammar Gaddafi, the deposed leader of Libya, was captured and killed on 20 October 2011 after the Battle of Sirte. Gaddafi was found west of Sirte after his convoys were attacked by NATO aircraft. He was then captured by National Transitional Council (NTC) forces and was killed shortly afterwards.

Nicolae Ceau?escu
Tovara?ul Conducator Nicolae Ceau?escu

Cause of death Execution by firing squad

Elena Petrescu ? ? ( m. 1947; died 1989)?

Then of course there was this fellow who got captured by Partisans who executed him and his mistress with lots of graphic pictures. Be Aware.

Anymouse

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1UEAD_enCA974CA974&s…

1 Like

White supremacists are siding with Putin and Trump across the states.

Someone needs to tell them that the Ukrainians are whiter, on average, than the Russians! :rofl: