Wish I had an EV last night...

I met a bunch of old friends last night at a local restaurant. Started at 6PM. As I was pulling into a parking space, I noticed one of my friends walking into the restaurant. I wanted to catch up with him to say hi so I bolted into the restaurant.

Four hours later, as we closed the place, I noticed that the headlights were on in my car. Yep - I never shut it off. It sat in the parking lot running from 6PM - 10PM. Thank goodness I had gas in my tank and no one stole my car!

If I had an EV, I don’t think I would have used any power by not shutting it off - correct?

'38Packard

2 Likes

If I had an EV, I don’t think I would have used any power by not shutting it off - correct?

It would have used a little power for the lights, computers, AC, but not nearly as much as is wasted idling a gas engine.

1 Like

"Four hours later, as we closed the place, I noticed that the headlights were on in my car. Yep - I never shut it off. It sat in the parking lot running from 6PM - 10PM. Thank goodness I had gas in my tank and no one stole my car!

'38Packard"

Well, I guess you could leave your EV running with headlights and a/c running - to run down the battery, too.

My Prius makes all kind of squawks if you get out without shutting it off. It will honk the horn.

My Malibu if you shut if off and don’t turn off headlights will complain and ding loudly if you forced them on. Otherwise they come on and go off automatically when you need them or turn the wipers on.

If you had a run down charge, just enough to get you home in your EV, it might have died…and there is no way to run to service station and get a gallon can of ‘electricity’ either

t

2 Likes

tele,

My Prius makes all kind of squawks if you get out without shutting it off. It will honk the horn.

That’s great! I have a late-model Avalon and it beeps but does not blow the horn. I got out quickly, and not having all the best hearing, totally missed the beeps.

'38Packard

In a Tesla if you open the door the car automatically goes into park if you forgot to do it.
When you walk away (phone Bluetooth outside the car) and ~5 seconds elapses the car will shut off and lock itself. (These are all configurable options)

If you happen to leave the windows open, trunk not latched, door not closed, etc after a few minutes you’ll get a notification on your phone. In the case of windows, you can just tap the app to close them. These things can be geo fenced, for example, to not happen when at home in your garage.

You can also use the phone app to unlock just the trunk, frunk or doors so someone you know/trust can get something you left for them or they can put a package in the trunk, for example.

Mike

10 Likes

You can also use the phone app to unlock just the trunk, frunk or doors so someone you know/trust can get something you left for them or they can put a package in the trunk, for example.

Software and IOT on Wheels! :wink:

The Captain

Software and IOT on Wheels! :wink:

I only gave a few of the things you can remotely with a Tesla. Here are some more things you can do remotely via the phone app (not short distance like with a key fob)

• honk the horn, flash the lights, windows up/down
  • turn on/off fan, heat, A/C, defrosters, seat heaters
  • find GPS location (street address) of the car
  • start & stop charging, adjust max charging percentage, schedule charging start or end time
  • turn sentry mode on/off (this is security cameras)
  • turn valet mode on/off, set speed limit for valet
  • control summon (remotely drive car in/out of parking spaces at 2 or 3 mph)

The app also lets you see your charging stats, schedule service, get roadside assistance (flat tire, car won’t start, battery dead, etc.), allow an OTA update to start, view security alerts (someone tried to break into your car)

I’m probably missing a few things

Mike

4 Likes

One of my EVs is quite clever. I just exit the car, shut the door, and walk away … and it then shuts the windows (if open), and locks the doors, all by itself!

It uses small amounts of power while off to do various things, but usually not much. Right now my car is in my driveway and downloading a software update, so it is using some power, but not much.

2 Likes