You can't beat the market indexes!

I would argue that if Saul began a fund and was paid by a group of investors to manage millions, if not billions of dollars, his investing style might change a bit, especially during a downturn which then might effect his performance going forward. Saul only you can answer this. I’m curious if your popularity on this board, as it has grown, has it effected your performance in any way.

Hi Chris, To answer both your questions,

If I had to manage billions of dollars of course I couldn’t continue to invest as I do, and of course I couldn’t do as well. No way. For all the reasons I set forth. And I wouldn’t do it.

Running the board hasn’t affected my performance that I’m aware of, as I do what seems correct to me whether others approve of it or not, as I’m investing to support myself and my family, and that’s what counts.

Best,

Saul

4 Likes

I keep hearing on some threads that it’s impossible to beat the indexes long term.
And it’s stated as if it’s an established fact…

Yes, you can beat the indexes.

So is this now an established fact? :wink:

Measurement of returns is tricky. It depends on the timeframe you choose. For
example, if you look at annualized returns, starting any year from 1993
to 2004 until the end of 2016, Saul beat the total stock market index 90% of the time.
On the other hand, if you start any year from 2004 on, the index beat Saul 75% of the
time. Then again, if you did this same exercise at the end of 2015, the index beat Saul
only a little over half the time from 2004 on. You can pick a timeframe to pretty much
support any established fact.

Saul’s most impressive achievement in my book is what he did in the period 2000-2002.
Like Saul, many of us made good money on stocks in the 1990’s go-go years, but very few
were able to escape when the clock turned midnight after March 2000. Call it luck, call
it skill, whatever – Saul didn’t lose money. That’s Buffett’s rule – don’t lose money.
I really didn’t have a full appreciation for what that meant until I spent a few sleepless
nights in late 2001. Anyway, if there’s a lesson to be learned, it’s to find out more about
what Saul did in that 2000-2002 time period.

Here’s the other thing, though. How useful is it to know that you beat an index? How would
that change your investing approach? I’ve heard some people say that, well, if I can’t beat
the index then I should just invest in the index. The problem with that line of thinking gets
back to timeframe. One year or two years or even five years isn’t enough time to draw
conclusions about what the results mean. Looking at Saul’s results, he did much better in the
first 12 years than the second 12 years. Does that mean he should switch to an index?

In my experience, comparing to an index is interesting information but it’s not action worthy.
What’s far more critical is understanding your emotions and wiring. What do you enjoy doing,
how much time do you have, how do you respond to adversity – that type of information is
what’s action worthy, not comparing to an index.

Thanks,
Ears

34 Likes

If you want an alternative to SPY look at the non cap weighted RSP.

Recently large caps have been doing well, a not atypical sign of an aging bull market. All the fast growers have become too expensive and all that new money coming in can only be absorbed by big large cap stocks.

3 Likes

I like Ken Fisher’s stuff.
Knowing that some sectors will outperform does not help you to pick them (except in retrospect) so I have not found sector analysis actionable.
Some sector based momentum plays have outperformed the individual market, at least off and on. With a big bull like now it isn’t worth the trouble.
This is still a stock pickers market

Brittlerock, I don’t follow Saul’s monthly progress as much as I read his arguments for and against particular stocks. Then I figure out if I have the cash, and what share price I want to pay. It’s his analysis of a company and its stock that I’m finding so helpful.

I don’t do the same thing he does to buy or sell a stock. For one thing, I usually sell puts. And if I find his buy argument more compelling than a later sell argument, I’ll usually keep holding. Skyworks, for instance.

Denny, my invention of a new index is more of a back-of-the-mind thing than something I’ll really end up doing. I have some money in Vanguard’s mid-cap value, small-cap value, and REIT index funds. I think the most room for improvement there is with REIT’s, so I’ll probably move money from that index to individual REIT’s.

Here’s another simple idea - Define a time period - 6 months, a year, 18 months, whatever. Buy shares of the best performers in the previous time period and hold for that amount of time. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Joel Greenblatt came up with some new index funds in the last few years:

https://www.gothamfunds.com/Default.aspx

Some of these are value-weighted rather than market cap weighted, which is how the S&P 500 is constructed. There’s also some shorting. Not surprising, since he’s mainly known for running a hedge fund, and for writing books like The Little Book that Beats the Market, the basis for magicformulainvesting.com.

Hi Saul:

many will find your case interesting and would like to some extent emulate you. why not? 352 baggers! that sounds excellent.

Just to understand that number…you did not have any new money going in your portfolio since 1996? so since then for every $1 that was in it, you have $352?
That’s not just excellent. It’s impressive. wow.

But to achieve that you had to trade more than just using a buy and hold strategy. You had to change horses a few time and see which ones were going further ahead faster. Do you have any stocks that you own more than 10 years still in your portfolio?

tj

doable but not everyone can be above average, can they?

and if you are, it’s statistics.

tj

you did not have any new money going in your portfolio since 1996? so since then for every $1 that was in it, you have $352?

Of course not tj, we’ve been living off that money for more than 20 years, for every expense there is… from food and clothing and mortgage payments, cars, airfare, house repairs, electric bills, computers, smart phones, insurance, movies, books, eating out, birthday cards, MF subscriptions, sending my daughter to college, tuition, everything, for my whole family. I see that you’ve never read the Knowledgebase as it’s all spelled out there exactly how I calculate it (at the beginning of Part 3). But just to make it clear to you here it is again:

I retired in July 1996, so I’ve actually been taking out money to live on for the last 20 years, instead of adding money.

Here’s how to calculate your overall returns ignoring cash flow in or out. Say you start the year with $14,000. You want to equate that with 100% and calculate gains and losses from there. So you ask yourself “What number (factor) would I multiply $14,000 by to get 100?”

By simple arithmetic we have 14000 x F = 100

And thus F = 100/14000 = .0071428

Sure enough 14,000 x .0071428 = 100

Now say three weeks later you have $14,740 and you want to see how you are doing, you multiply that number by .0071428 and you get 105.3 (so you are up 5.3%). If you don’t add or subtract money, that factor will work for the whole year.

Now say you add $2300 of fresh money, but you don’t want that to screw up your estimate of how well you are doing.

You add the $2300 to the $14,740 and get $17,040 which is your new balance that you are investing with. That’s your new starting point. It doesn’t affect how you’ve done up to here. You haven’t suddenly done better because you added money. You can’t still multiply by .0071428 because you’d get 121.7 and it would look as if you were up 21.7%, when you are really only up 5.3%.

So you need to change your factor to make it smaller so it will still reflect just the 5.3% gain you’ve made so far. You figure: “What would I multiply my new balance ($17,040) by to get 105.3, to reflect my 5.3% gain so far this year?”

F x 17,040 = 105.3

F = 105.3/17,040 = .0061795

And that’s your new factor. If you multiply it by 17,040, sure enough you get 105.3. Now you continue to see how you will do for the rest of the year.

If a little later you are at $18,000, you multiply 18,000 by .0061795 and you get 111.2, so you know that your investing is now up 11.2% for the year.

Same, if you take money out. You don’t want it to look as if you lost money. You calculate a new factor so you start from the same percentage where you were.

On January 1st of the next year, you write down how you did for the year to keep a record, and start over at 100 for the next year.

In other words, every time I take money out I recalculate the factor (which only takes 30 seconds or so) so as to restart from the exact same percentage as I was before the withdrawal. I hope that helps.

And since I’ve been taking money out for twenty years, naturally I have only a tiny, tiny part of what I would have had if I never had to take anything out and still had 352 times what I started with in 1989. But the point never was to pile up money. It was to make enough money by investing so that I could withdraw it, and use it to help my family and me live comfortably.

Saul

PS You should take the time to read the Knowledgebase. There’s a lot of interesting stuff in it. You may not agree with everything, but you are sure to get at least a few good ideas.

15 Likes

There is no confusion on how the annual return is calculated. The fact that you withdrew from it regularly only makes the results even more extraordinary.

Even if you did not take out any cash, your 351 or 352 baggers over 28 years would mean you averaged almost 25% return per annum? is that right?
That is already extraordinary.

btw, if the index made ~8X your initial principal, isn’t that called a 7 bagger?

But you did not answer my question: do you have any stocks in your portfolio that you continuously held for more than 10 years?

tj

1 Like

Wow, this thread really touched a nerve.

Those who were investing in stocks in the 1990’s and kept meticulous records, have incredible numbers to show off. There’s a generation of lucky investors that were of the right age and at the right time of their careers with money to invest. Saul belongs to that generation. They got lucky and their phenomenal returns cannot be replicated without bringing the 1990’s back.

Saul’s methodology has a problem that is conveniently ignored here. It cannot provide a reasonable explanation for the performance of the last 10 years. Ten years is a statistically significant time that cannot be brushed aside as a fluke.

I have posted it here before. In the last 10 years, Saul portfolio had trailed the indices pretty badly. He had returned an annual average of 5.2%. The SPY had returned 6.9% at that time frame. The Russell 2K had done 7.1%. Index funds that track the high-tech sector have done even better at 10%+. What appears to be a small annual difference, compounding over 10 years, will make for a huge difference.

This group is a great place for adrenaline junkies and people that enjoy doing research. If you are simply looking to make money, there are far easier ways.

Most people will not beat the index long term.

27 Likes

Hi tj, let me try to respond again to some of your questions.

There is no confusion on how the annual return is calculated. The fact that you withdrew from it regularly only makes the results even more extraordinary.
There is still some confusion. Read it again. The fact that I withdrew from it regularly has no effect effect at all on the results one way or another and doesn’t make the results more extraordinary. Again: It has no effect at all on the percentage results. It doesn’t change them.

… you averaged almost 25% return per annum? is that right?
Yes.

btw, if the index made ~8X (of its) initial principal, isn’t that called a 7 bagger?
There are a lot of things to correct in this one sentence. The final value of the index was 8 times the original value, so it “made” 7X profit. My understanding of baggers is that if you double your original investment (end up with 2X what you started with) it’s a 2-bagger, and if you end up with 8X what you started with it’s an 8-bagger. The S&P was an 8-bagger.

do you have any stocks in your portfolio that you continuously held for more than 10 years?
No. My holding period is usually 2 to 5 years. It’s not planned that way, it’s just the way it works out.

Saul

2 Likes

My understanding of baggers is that if you double your original investment (end up with 2X what you started with) it’s a 2-bagger, and if you end up with 8X what you started with it’s an 8-bagger.

It’s a baseball analogy. If you hit a home run you gain four bases, a four bagger. If you get to first it’s a one bagger. You don’t get a bag for just standing in the batter’s box. To my thinking if you double your money you have a one bagger because your original capital is not a bag gained.

For a fair assessment of performance I think one needs two measures. Most important is to meet one’s financial needs regardless of bags. For comparative purposes one should measure against a target index for the exact same period. If you inherited a million dollars in 1999 and put it in the market on January 2, 2000, you might have zero bags at the end of ten years and still beat the index.

http://softwaretimes.com/pics/indexes.gif

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

It’s hilarious the topics that you get into while talking investments.

Denny - The more popular cultural definition of the term multibagger agrees with Saul. I must have heard 10-bagger every month during the tech wreck in the 90’s and it was always the value now is 10 times the value you started with. Some of us just overthink everything no matter how silly. :slight_smile:

I took two seconds to get “an outside” opinion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multibagger_Stocks

or

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/tenbagger.asp

ok … so wikipedia actually agrees with you Denny…

A ten bagger is a stock which gives returns equal to 10 times the investment.

ok … 2 more seconds investopedia actually agrees with you too

any investment that appreciates or has the potential to increase ten-fold

so if $1 increases ten-fold would you say you have $11 or $10? I think only the overthinkers of a meaningless bragger term would say you have $11.

I still think Saul’s interpretation is more widely accepted despite the “outside” opinions I cite. Ha.

10bagger or 11 bagger, I think I would be quite happy either way

Saul’s most impressive achievement in my book is what he did in the period 2000-2002.
Like Saul, many of us made good money on stocks in the 1990’s go-go years, but very few
were able to escape when the clock turned midnight after March 2000. Call it luck, call
it skill, whatever – Saul didn’t lose money. That’s Buffett’s rule – don’t lose money.
I really didn’t have a full appreciation for what that meant until I spent a few sleepless
nights in late 2001. Anyway, if there’s a lesson to be learned, it’s to find out more about
what Saul did in that 2000-2002 time period.

Hi Ears, Here’s what I did in that 2000-2002 period. I’m reprinting it right from the Knowledgebase, by the way.

I lived through the Internet bubble of 1999-2000. I sold out of Amazon, Yahoo, and AOL one day in January or February of 2000, after Yahoo, as I remember, had gone up something like $30 to $50 per day for three days in a row. I said to my wife, “They may keep going up, but this is insane. I’ll let someone else have the rest of the ride.” The bubble broke about 3 weeks later. Sometimes selling can be the most important thing you can do. I didn’t get out of the market. I just bought non-internet stocks and was up 19% for the year. Sure I could have held through the decline, and 10 years later Amazon came back, even if Yahoo and AOL never did… but why???

However, I definitely wasn’t as prescient in 2008:

I got killed in 2008 like everyone else. Probably worse than someone who was in defensive stocks. It was my first negative year after 19 positive years in a row. I stayed 100% in stocks, selling anything which hadn’t gone down much to buy more of the ones that were down the most. Finally, I was down so much that even I got scared and started to think of selling out and going into cash. All the talking heads were saying, “Sell! Sell! Sell! Get out! Get 100% in cash!”

I said to my wife, “If everyone is shouting ‘Sell!’ and even I am scared enough to be thinking about selling, there’s no one else left to sell… This must be the bottom.” And it was (Nov 2008). In the big meltdown in 2008 I dropped 62.5%, which was pretty terrifying. In 2009 I was up 110.7%. The way percentages work though, after dropping 62.5%, gaining even 110.7% doesn’t get you back to where you started, but I sure felt better.

Ears, You had this odd statistic in your post:

Measurement of returns is tricky. It depends on the timeframe you choose. For
example, if you look at annualized returns, starting any year from 1993
to 2004 until the end of 2016, Saul beat the total stock market index 90% of the time.
On the other hand, if you start any year from 2004 on, the index beat Saul 75% of the
time. Then again, if you did this same exercise at the end of 2015, the index beat Saul
only a little over half the time from 2004 on. You can pick a timeframe to pretty much
support any established fact.

Measurement of returns is tricky, but counting YEARS is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT! I’m sure you know that! A glance at my results shows that there were three years that I was up over 100%… 1999, 2003 and 2009, when I was up 115.5%, 124.5% and 110.7%.

Now I probably was up by over 80% more than the total stock market index in EACH of those years! The years the market beat me were probably usually by less than 5% to 15% except in 2008. Each of those large years for me was probably equivalent to 10 years or so of total market index results, and those three years alone probably add up to 30 years of total market results. So counting how many YEARS of who beat whom is kind of meaningless, wouldn’t you think? And that’s not counting three other years when I was up 43.4%, 46.9% and 51.0%.

On the other hand, you are correct that as the amount I’ve been managing has grown in recent years, it’s been difficult for me to do as well as before. (But for people who are early in their investing life, that shouldn’t make any difference). In fact, in the 28 or so years of my results, the only three years I was negative were in the last ten [2008 (of course), 2011, and 2014].

Best,

Saul

3 Likes

Here’s what I did in that 2000-2002 period. I’m reprinting it right from the Knowledgebase,
by the way.

Hi Saul, yes, I was aware of what you did and also that it was in the Knowledgebase.
I wanted to emphasize that for me looking at what you did in that period of time has
more relevance to understanding your methods than trying to compare your returns to an index
(which I believe has no action worthy information, and actually may be counter-productive).

You had this odd statistic in your post:

It may appear odd to you because perhaps I didn’t explain it well. So, just to double-check,
I was looking your annualized returns. So your annualized returns for 2015 through 2016 are
(1+16%) for 2015 times (1+2.5%) for 2016, and then you take the square root of that to get the
annualized return for the two year period which equals 9%. For the three year period 2014-2016 it
would be (1-9.8%) * (1+16%) * (1+2.5%), and then you take the cube root of that to get the
annualized return = 2.4%. The general formula for annualized return is (((1+n1) * (1+n2) *
(1+n3)…* (1+ny))^(1/y))-1.

So, even though it was great that you were up 111% in 2009 and the index was only up 29%, if
you look at 2010 you were at .3% and the index was at 17%, and in 2011 you were at -14.5% and the
index was at 1%…and so on…if you multiply those out and take the appropriate root, then you
get an annualized return which takes into account those wild swings you are talking about and
smooths them out. This is the way the industry looks at it which is typically comparisons of
annualized returns on a 1-year, 3-year, 5-year, 10-year, and “from inception” timefame. And so
as of 2016 the index beats you on the 1-year and 3-year and 10-year timeframes, and you beat on
the 5-year and from inception timeframes.

My point was that all these measurements are meaningless as far as reaching conclusions about
which method is better – picking stocks or indexing – because they all depend on what timeframe
you choose for your measurement, and these will change every time you make a new observation.
If you did that exercise in 2015 you would get a different result, and if you do it in 2017 you may
get quite another result. A 2009 research study suggested that it is only after 60-70 years that
returns stabilize around a central value. So if we want to have a meaningful discussion about your
returns compared to the index, we’ll have to meet in another 30 years or so. I’ll bring the
Geritol.

Does that make it any clearer?

Thanks,
Ears

10 Likes

My point was that all these measurements are meaningless as far as reaching conclusions about which method is better – picking stocks or indexing – because they all depend on what timeframe you choose for your measurement, and these will change every time you make a new observation.

While it is true that picking the starting and ending date for any comparison will produce different numbers, that doesn’t change the fact that most (~75%) stock pickers will not do as well as the index … whether they are individuals or managers of large amounts of money. While we have gone over some of the upstream issues facing the manager of a large account, particularly one which has to perform quarterly, there are also special hazards for smaller investors as well, not the least of which is that some bad picks can drastically reduce the capital base one has to work from. That, in turn, tends to produce timidity, which leads to under performance.

Frankly, I can’t see why people keep going on about Saul’s performance. Obviously, it has been good enough that few of us would be unhappy about switching, given the opportunity. But, we aren’t here to worship at the feet of the master because of some arbitrary achievement over some arbitrary period … we are here to listen to the reasons and ideas and approaches … and not just of one person, but of the community which that person has attracted.

8 Likes