ZM - 300M Users?

Being forgotten in this is that there are a lot of users who are not using it daily.

Is there data available for this “statistic”?

Carver,

Of course there is. I and most of the people I Zoom with, use Zoom once a week or once in two weeks.

And besides, as long as it’s an apples to apples comparison, 10 million daily participants increasing to 300 million participants, what’s the difference? It’s still up 30 times! whether you call it users or participants! Out of the original 10 million there were probably even a larger proportion who were using it more than once a day, because you didn’t have the casual users like me. Whatever you call it, it’s 30 times more people on Zoom than there were when it was growing “only” 80% per year. duh!

Best,

Saul

19 Likes

Darth/all,

I can answer a few of these questions. I work for a top 10 Medical Device Company as a VP of Sales. We used WebEx for many years (ok experience), then we were forced to standardize on Skype for 2-3 years (terrible experience, had to use laptop for presentations but call on a phone separately to prevent echo), then April 1st were had to standardize to Teams. Teams presentations have worked well, but when presenting, you can’t see anything else (participants, questions, etc). In addition, talking back and forth on laptop has been perfect on Teams. So IMHO, Teams is a solid competitor to Zoom.

In regards to Zoom, my daughter uses ever single day (ASU standardized on Zoom right away) and she loves it. I just started using it for friends and now weekly for an online poker club. Zoom is better than Teams for seeing more than 4 on a screen and is much easier to navigate.

Zoom is my largest holding, so this past month has been frustrating, but I am still holding.

Scott

5 Likes

So, yeah not a great look but it doesn’t change the thesis in my book. In fact, it might be a chance to get some more on before the market realizes it is still a 30 fold increase on Dec and a 50% increase from a month ago!

Yes, the metric is apples to apples, apparently. However, there are 2 ways to increase the daily precipitants: add net new users or increase the average use of each user.

Is one better than the other?

I think so. If the company charges a fixed monthly or annual fee then adding new users is better than adding more use per user. If Zoom is trying to make its offering the standard then it is great to get more people using Zoom but it is also great to increase utilization of each user because they are meeting with new people who could become hooked. In terms of near term revenue, it’s more important to add a lot of new paying customers. Long term it’s also important to get the most people possible to prefer Zoom as their primary video conferencing tool/service.

Chris

5 Likes

Have to agree with Saul on this. We are part of the 300 million. My daughters have their dance class on Zoom once a week. So not just our family, but most likely many of the other kids in the class as well are once or twice a week users. Other than dance class, we use it to see family maybe every other week or so. Just one example, but multiply it by the number of new users in similar and You can see how this more than offsets those using for multiple meetings a day.
Combine that with the previous quarter number of 10million, of many were meeting multiple times daily - is a non-issue or even positive imho. I see nothing shady on their part. Apples to apples comparison.

Kevin

1 Like

Darth,

Most of our workforce is now working remotely. We have moved to teams almost exclusively for meetings/conversations that require 3 or more individuals being involved. We still are utilizing traditional telephony but the difference is remarkable. Teams allows (well - I’m sure you know what it all allows) easy sharing of documentation, adding folks to the call/presentation, whatever.

Easily a 10-fold increase compared to pre-Covid.

I participate in a daily zoom meeting (in my personal life)(6-15 participants). I personally find the chat feature a bit more cumbersome but as a platform overall, it also works well. The organizers have structured it in a way that it’s free, so I like that also.

1 Like

Tom Warren’s is clearly talking out of both sides of his mouth. In today’s article he is essentially implying that Zoom intentionally mislead the public with their wording in a blog on April 22 “300 million daily users”, which they corrected two days later to “…daily participants”.

Yet, on April 2 Warren wrote an article with the subtitle “Zoom has skyrocketed to 200 million daily users from 10 million in December”. Those are Tom Warren’s words not Eric Yaun’s In the article he correctly quotes Yuan “In March this year, we reached more than 200 million daily meeting participants, both free and paid" https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/2/21204018/zoom-security-pri…

My point is that he, Tom Warren, doesn’t differentiate between “users” or “participants” in his own article just a few weeks ago. And yet today he writes a hit piece on Zoom for doing it. It’s just semantics. What a joke!

Brian

16 Likes

This isn’t like the old WebEx days where you send out a meeting invite and wait for everyone to join the call, using your phone.

True, but you can still do that as well.

Mike (currently on a Teams Live meeting with a few thousand people)

No. of Recommendations: 3
This is from the author’s bio:
Tom Warren is a Senior Editor for The Verge. Tom previously founded WinRumors, a site dedicated to Microsoft news, before joining The Verge. Tom also used to work as an enterprise project manager in a variety of investment banks, and has a background in IT and Windows engineering.

Does his background make a difference? It certainly makes me think Saul is correct and this is a hit piece.

I am convinced a number of the articles against Zoom over the past few months are organized by Microsoft.

When the subject of the article is about Zoom security flaws and half the article talks about how wonderful Microsoft Teams is you know something is up.

Also check this out, Teams forgot to update an SSL certificate providing a widespread outage some months ago: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22227266

How about this one from 2 days ago: https://www.scmagazine.com/home/security-news/vulnerabilitie…

Teams vulnerability could lead to account takeover

Another discussion of the horrors of Microsoft Teams: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20678938

What bothers me is the media rooting for Microsoft to put Zoom out of business. Are we also rooting for Amazon to put mom and pop shops out of business?

8 Likes

Is there data available for this “statistic”?

Probably not, but I know many people who use it 1 to 3 times a week on a regular pattern exactly because it substitutes for what was a regular in person meeting.

I have not posted here before but following this group for about a year now. Thank you so much for sharing invaluable info. I learnt a lot. Since there was a lot of discussion around how many users are free vs paid w.r.t ZM, slide 7 from recent J.D Power research might help as that has Personal vs Enterprise use. Below link has lot of good information w.r.t video conferencing.

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6656761…

Thank you,
Raj

11 Likes