ZM security - good news

Mfgd, I don’t see a U-turn here. What I see is consistency and delivering on the promises - as Eric stressed security during the call and various interviews.

My hope here is that video quality and ease of use won’t suffer as these are very important aspects of Zoom’s moat. Perhaps some folks with technical background could give us their opinion on this topic.

Long ZM

Best,
V

V, this thread started off based on ZOOM’s announcement that their new end to end encryption security software was for paid users only. That meant if you were using a free account to join a Zoom meeting, you were doing so without encryption. The announcement today is a reversal of that position. It will now be available to free accounts. Nobody can now claim that Zoom is treating security and privacy as a paid for upgrade. That, to me, is a smart move, and good news.

4 Likes

No, it is an observation that an 80% solution that’s free often wins over a 95% solution that costs money and has to be integrated and managed separately.

Thank you! That was probably as succinct a statement as could be made. I admit my company is pretty cheap. Our CEO is always telling us “spend money like it’s your own money”, even when times are good. But, again, just one data point.

We also use WebEx.

Regarding the other question about “is your company a laggard or early adapter” [sic -I think he meant “early adopter”], that is an interesting question. I’m honestly not sure how to answer it. If it costs money there will be resistance, but if you can make a good enough case they will probably approve. I don’t think “early adopter” fits for us. I think if you visualize a distribution from “laggard” to “early adopter” as a Gaussian (or normal) distribution, we’d be somewhere near the peak with most other companies. Maybe slightly towards the laggard side.

Though this is starting to border on OT, and I don’t want to anger the board monitors with talk about my company. Though I think this is relevant at least in so far as it may be reflective of adoption of one the products/companies discussed here (i.e. Zoom).

Yes, I’m sure there’s “No-one gets fired for choosing Microsoft” at play as well. Plus, even with all the criticism that Microsoft generates, their Office package does work pretty well. Maybe not “the best”, but it gets the job done**. So, really, there would be no cause to fire someone for choosing Microsoft Office 365.

1poorguy

**My biggest gripe is that when they update Office they move “where things are”, and so I have to relearn how to ‘sort’ in EXCEL, or how to do a histogram, or where the line/spacing control is in Word. Fine, add features, but don’t rearrange them in the menus when I already know where they were in the old version!

Regarding the other question about “is your company a laggard or early adapter” [sic -I think he meant “early adopter”], that is an interesting question. I’m honestly not sure how to answer it. If it costs money there will be resistance, but if you can make a good enough case they will probably approve. I don’t think “early adopter” fits for us. I think if you visualize a distribution from “laggard” to “early adopter” as a Gaussian (or normal) distribution, we’d be somewhere near the peak with most other companies. Maybe slightly towards the laggard side.

As I recall from The Gorilla Game and from your description of your company, definitively not Early Adopter and not even an early Early Majority. But not a Laggard either, somewhere in between.

https://techcommcentral.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/2.jpg

https://techcommcentral.wordpress.com/2013/02/04/chapter-5-u…

Denny Schlesinger

When best of breed is really good and provides true value that’s realisable, they win.

I agree with that. Zoom has had the best user experience and among the best in video/audio quality. Unfortunately, some of the user friendliness has gone away with the security requirements, but that’s inevitable.

And, with the latest news on end-to-end encryption, Zoom has really stepped up. No-one else offers end-to-end encryption for free - and I’ll bet most paid users of, say, WebEx, choose to configure that option. I just hope Zoom doesn’t become the teleconferencing tool of choice for Al Quaeda.

1 Like

**My biggest gripe is that when they update Office they move “where things are”, and so I have to relearn how to ‘sort’ in EXCEL, or how to do a histogram, or where the line/spacing control is in Word. Fine, add features, but don’t rearrange them in the menus when I already know where they were in the old version!

I’m right there with you, but what I see is that the re-write of Word and Excel for Office 365 are just giving us the features that these apps had 10 or more years ago. This “re-imagination” of Office has not added any new features that I can find.