Zoom Phone Experience

I run a very small business (two employees). Zoom is my largest holding. Where possible I try to engage with the companies that I invest in order to better understand their growth possibilities and potential problems. Accordingly, I decided to cancel my contract with our phone company and purchased two Yealink VOIP phones that I could use with Zoom.

My experience in transitioning to use Zoom for phone calls has been mixed. The good: 1. Call quality is excellent; 2. Zoom support is responsive; 3. Pricing is attractive compared to other more traditional options. The not so good: While Zoom support was responsive, in the several cases in which I contacted support I was provided with links to onboarding material that were convoluted. Unlike the simplicity that exists with Zoom video calls, there is no such simplicity in moving over to Zoom phone. It took me several days to set up the two phones so that I had the same functionality that I had before with my telco. In contrast, setting up my phones with telco providers never took longer than 15-30 minutes.

While Zoom phone provides the opportunity for land and expand, at present this service in my opinion will only be taken up by larger companies. Zoom has a massive opportunity to get small businesses who are currently using Zoom for video conference calls to switch to using Zoom for voice only calls, but the onboarding experience has to be significantly rethought for that to occur.

17 Likes

“Zoom has a massive opportunity to get small businesses who are currently using Zoom for video conference calls to switch to using Zoom for voice only calls, but the onboarding experience has to be significantly rethought for that to occur.”

This is a really good point. I wonder/hope that they’ll realize this and adapt. I have reason to believe they will, considering how responsive they’ve been in the past to issues that arise, like the security concerns from several months ago

-marketmusician

dpmohr
Why not report that to Zoom Investor Relations. Just as you posted it. Or to the CEO’s blog, or whatever.
Saul

37 Likes

Hi dpmohr,

Like Saul suggested do send your questions to Zoom. However, have you checked out “Hardware as a Service” from Zoom?

https://zoom.us/zoomphone/hardware-as-a-service#zoom-form-co…

ronjonb

2 Likes