This is pretty old article. There must be more current information available.
Let’s go right to the permit review for Enviva Sampson. Permit was issued on 1/20/2022. Is that new enough?
On page 8,
“Green” (i.e., wet) wood is delivered to the plant via trucks as either pre-chipped wood or bark or unchipped logs.
On page 64 of pdf (page A1-29), the calculation of potential fugitive PM emissions (Attachment 1), the first line in the table for logs delivery to crane shows
empty truck weight - 31,700 lbs
loaded truck weight - 87,380 lbs
trips per day - 60
So the facility has the potential to use 55,680 lbs of logs per trip.
Now there is a note to a table on page 55 of the PDF for the debarker potential emissions. It says “At most, Enviva would purchase 75% of the needed logs with the remaining 25% of green material coming from purchased chips.”
Now before you say anything about potential does not mean actual, that’s true. Actual throughput would be CBI and not available to the public. Potential emission calculations are based on maximum output, not actual output. But the calculations are generally indicative of actual operations. Potential emission calculations are not done for unrealistic operating scenarios. So the permit review indicated up to 75% of the total green wood is in the form of logs but it could be lower. Maybe they’re only running 60-70% but there wouldn’t be debarking and chipping calculations in the permit if they were not using logs.
While we are in the permit application, let’s look at facility-wide carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e) emissions on page 14. It lists 273,545 tons per year after control. These are the emissions of concern for climate change. I wonder if the European users enter those tons into their calculations.
To address an point made upthread about misshapen trees being used, misshapen means the trees are not good for making dimensional lumber. The trees could be chipped to make OSB sheets for house construction. The chips could further be ground to make particle board. Grind it more and make paper products such as cardboard. It doesn’t mean we got to toss these trees in a landfill since they’re not good for anything but wood pellets.