8 million Ukranian refugees in EU

1 Like

Almost eight million refugees have fled Ukraine since Russia’s invasion in February, Europe’s largest refugee wave since the Second World War, with the majority of those now in the European Union; according to the IMF, Estonia has accepted over 62,000 Ukrainian refugees – as a share of population, more than any other EU country.

Almost five million people from Ukraine are registered for temporary protection in the EU or in similar national programmes. The EU has removed many barriers refugees typically face by offering residency rights, work permits, and access to health care, schools, housing and banking services.

According to the International Monetary Fund, Estonia, the Czech Republic and Poland have the largest shares of Ukrainian refugees among the EU member states.

2 Likes

More than 271,000 Ukrainian refugees have been admitted to the United States since the Russian invasion of Ukraine began one year ago, according to the Department of Homeland Security, far above President Joe Biden’s stated goal of admitting 100,000.

Just over two-fifths, or more than 117,000, of those who were admitted came via the Biden administration’s “Uniting for Ukraine” program, which allows Americans to sponsor Ukrainians to prove that they will be financially supported in the U.S. DHS, which administers the program, said more than 200,000 Americans came forward as sponsors.

About 150,000 Ukrainians came to the U.S. outside of the program, some through the traditional refugee program and others by crossing the U.S.-Mexico border prior to the program launching last April.

2 Likes

The figures are terrifying. But the worst thing is that more and more refugees will come to the EU and other countries, the US and Canada. There are a couple of refugee families renting places in my neighborhood, and guess what? Now, they are planning to stay for good.

If they behave properly and contribute positively to society then it’s a win for you.

5 Likes

It’s a win for all of us.

3 Likes

Those from Ukraine who have showed up to my company have been some of the hardest working, over qualified hires we’ve gotten in quite some time. Let them come. I’ll buy 'em lunch.

3 Likes

A Ukrainian bought me a cup of coffee this morning.

I went into the best coffee shop in our area which is owned by a Ukrainian family of three generations. The son has made a point of befriending me. I had some time today to drop by and the next thing I knew he was telling the cashier the decaf was on him.

https://domscoffee.com/about

2 Likes

In the spirit of curiosity, why is this terrifying?

2 Likes