A Handmaid's Tale

The justices are on a roll.
SCOTUS confidence/approval hits historic low.
Latest poll was 25% approval; the previous low in 2014 was 30%.
Between 1973-2006, the average was around 47%.

The current court is the worst in recent history.

Even Susan Collins has concerns and regrets believing both Gorsuch and Kavanaugh when they reassured the Senate panel Roe was precedent and would stand.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/collins-manch…

“This decision is inconsistent with what Justices Gorsuch and Kavanaugh said in their testimony and their meetings with me, where they both were insistent on the importance of supporting long-standing precedents that the country has relied upon," Collins said in a statement.

She blasted the ruling as “a sudden and radical jolt to the country that will lead to political chaos, anger, and a further loss of confidence in our government.”

I saw the hearings. I was not fooled by Gorsuch’s calm assurance he would never overturn Roe. Kavanaugh’s red-faced anger giving way to tears were not convincing either. Susan Collins still believes the conservative court has a soul and can be trusted.

America reacted today with anger and protests. Can’t blame the country for turning out and complaining. We have stood by and watched SCOTUS strip away rights like voting rights and reproductive health rights while expanding the rights of any gun owner to carry a weapon anywhere they choose to take it–unchallenged and unvetted. Certain rights seem to be inalienable; others not so much.

A child/woman will be forced to carry any pregnancy to term regardless of rape, incest or the wellbeing of the woman. Blessed be the fruit.

1 Like