A Letter to Advertisers from Musk on His Purchase of $TWTR

This made me laugh.

1 Like

I’ll just ramble here, the thread having gone off in search of Ye and other assorted nonsense
l

Yeah, I worked Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh; big 50kw blowtorch AMs mostly, with kid sister FMs. No, we would never give 100% value add, although I suppose it could have happened behind my back if the Sales Manager got in a pinch. But we monitored “average rate” too, so it would have been minor, if ever.*

This kind of rate lowering is panic, pure and simple. And the first place a weak manager runs in the face of adversity. Moreover, it’s unlikely to make any kind of impact whatsoever. This “value add” has to be done by the end of December, according to published reports. Well
 December is one of the crappiest advertising months of the year, believe it or not. That’s because the week after Christmas is close to a zero, and the week before Christmas almost likewise, because everybody has pretty much made up their mind by then - so basically you have a two week month.

Now I haven’t spent any time on Twitter in over a year, but I don’t recall a lot of big brand advertising anyway, so it’s hard to imagine someone saying “Oh sure, we’ve got an extra $500,000 sitting here we weren’t using (recall ad budgets are being tightened because of the long predicted and so far non-existent recession that’s coming) and we’ll dump it all on Twitter, because, um, Musk.

Add to that the fact that Musk eliminated most of the ad department, including upper management that the and agencies dealt with - and the controversy about hate speech rapidly multiplying, and it’s difficult for me to see this as anything but a desperation play that’s destined to fail. Bigly.

• Yes, rates can bounce, sometimes wildly. In broadcast we were constrained because we had to offer political candidates the lower rate we had given anyone in the previous 90 days, so you didn’t want to be stuck giving every idiot running for office a monster discount and crowd out your real, paying customers. I don’t know if that constraint follows to online, I suspect not, but don’t know.

• On a music station you would never, because you wanted fewer spots and more music. (At least the PD did, and a thinking GM, which all of them weren’t.) On a news or talk station it didn’t matter as much because the audience was less sensitive to over-commercialization. I suspect there is a point at which someone’s feed is overwhelmed by advertising, but I don’t know what that might be.

• Anyhoo, this Twitter desperation play is weak and unlikely to bear fruit. Maybe they’ll pick up a couple bucks at the margins, but I’d doubt even that - but then I caveat with “I don’t know the online ad market at all”, so there’s that.

3 Likes

https://archive.ph/LM2zD

Elon Musk’s bankers are considering providing the billionaire with new margin loans backed by Tesla Inc. stock to replace some of the high-interest debt he layered on Twitter Inc., according to people with knowledge of the matter.

The margin loans are one of several options the Morgan Stanley-led bank group and Musk’s advisers have discussed to soften the burden of the $13 billion of debt Twitter took on as part of Musk’s $44 billion acquisition, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the discussions are confidential.

The first internal draft read:

Dear Elon:

We all know you screwed the pooch by overpaying by at least double for Twitter. Worse, you took some high interest loans against a depreciating asset, and worse yet, you seem determined to drive it into the ground.

We are now prepared to offer you some really swell margin loans, fully backed by collateral this time with your Tesla stock, at a reduced interest rate from the usury we took before. This is a sincere offer, since we offered the loans previously thinking you would be able to pay them off, not declare bankruptcy as you have been talking about lately. And we all know that with a media company there really isn’t any terminal value: no inventory, no big factory, no real estate, so this is better for us too!

Please let us know soonest, we are started to be a little worried about our eagerness to hand you gobs of money based on your reputation alone.

Cordially,

The Loan Committee

4 Likes

I read this line in the voice of the main character in Robert Downey Sr.'s “Putney Swope” and busted out laughing.

BTW, if you have a Roku Box, you can see “Putney Swope” on their “FREEVEE” channel.

1 Like

https://archive.vn/aAjeo

Twitter said the new Twitter Blue would include the ability to edit tweets and upload 1080p video, as well as a color-coded checkmark system: blue for paid users, gold for businesses, and grey for “government and multilateral accounts.” The company did not specify what will happen to existing accounts with blue checkmarks that do not fit into those categories.

Twitter Blue subscribers will also be able to edit their display name or profile photo, but will temporarily lose the blue check until their account can be reviewed, the company said.

Doesn’t the google store also skim 30%?

1 Like

You are correct, and thanks for making me look it up.

1 Like

When the town crier goes to divinity school to learn how to sermonize instead of inform:

1 Like

Today is the day of the $11 Twitter app on iPhones.

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/twitters-paid-blue-tick-re-launches-after-pause/ar-AA15ahOl

Twitter Blue’s additional features include an edit button.

This has long been a feature requested by many Twitter users, although there are others who argue that it increases the potential for the spread of disinformation, if a tweet is altered after being widely shared.

Blue-tick subscribers will also see fewer ads, have their tweets amplified above others, and be able to post and view longer, better quality videos, the platform says.

1 Like

Superior Being hath spoken!

That people now dare call him out about his lies on a social media which he now privately owns makes this all the more surreal.

1 Like

Joe Biden’s White House is less concerned about Elon Musk’s takeover of Twitter than many Democrats, officials said in recent interviews.

That’s because Biden’s team believes Twitter is largely valuable for just two things:

• Selling its message to journalists and other influential figures.

• Encouraging friendly activists to put pressure on those elite voices.

“There’s a crowd within the White House that cares about disinformation and thinks it’s a major problem for Democrats narrowly and democracy more broadly,” an administration official said of Musk’s efforts to relax moderation and make the site more welcoming to the right. “But it’s probably a minority.”

Did he say he had a bachelors of science in physics? He certainly has BS for most topics he post on.

2 Likes

I was just signing off and saw this and laughed. That’s the way to go into yard work, with a good laugh.

3 Likes

You should have taken that $5,000 long ago, young man. Your “app” is already replicated by others. There was some other guy on Twitter tracking Musk’s jet three-years ago.

• The accounts of Ryan Mac of The New York Times, Donie O’Sullivan of CNN, Drew Harwell of The Washington Post, Matt Binder of Mashable, Micah Lee of The Intercept, Steve Herman of Voice of America and independent journalists Aaron Rupar, Keith Olbermann and Tony Webster had all been suspended as of Thursday evening.

What do these journalists all have in common? They have all written coverage critical of Elon Musk.

So much for the Free Speech absolutist.

–Peter <== who has no Twitter account, therefore is not concerned with being banned

PS - Gotta add the coverage from Rolling Stone, too.

3 Likes