A STRONG SUGGESTION AND REQUEST

A STRONG SUGGESTION AND REQUEST

When I woke up this morning (European time) I found 61 unread posts on the board. Sixty-one posts overnight! There were some gems like the three part deep dive by Wooter, the Nutanix deep dive by sarksnz (Greg) and some excellent posts about Pivotal by Tinker and others, and others about Nutanix, but most of the posts I was just wading through arguing back and forth about philosophy of investing and valuation. After the first few it was just blah, blah, blah. Just repeating and repeating.

LETS STOP THAT DISCUSSION. That’s not what this board is about, and not what has made it great. Our board is about analyzing, discussing, and investing in great, rapidly growing growth companies. If you are not happy with what we are doing, you don’t have to stay on the board. No one is making you. In fact it is easy to start a board of your own, and you can discuss investing the way you want to invest. This is not a board about value investing.

You’ve made all your points about how foolish we are and about how we are living dangerously, etc. I just don’t see the sense of continuing to post just to criticize and make fun of what we are doing. What is the rational of coming to a board dedicated to a particular type of investing (which has been quite successful, by the way), just to criticize us. I don’t get it. Again, if you are not happy with what this board is about, and you are not willing to learn from it, you don’t have to stay.

And making fun of us without understanding what we are doing. (If you don’t think “making fun of us” is accurate, here are a couple of examples):

For a clear example, calling us in-and-out traders specifically because I discussed being in and out of Mongo twice before I decided to stay. It was perfectly clear that I wasn’t trading to make a small profit (that was never even mentioned by me or anyone else at the time), but because I was trying to decide whether or not I wanted to hold it LONG TERM!

And calling us momentum traders was just silly, and also showed a lack of understanding of what we were doing. Most of us buy with the intention of the company being a long term investment, not with a price goal in mind, and we stay until the company’s picture changes (in our individual opinions), or until we decide we have made a mistake, or prefer to invest our money elsewhere.

And calling us “giddy.” I’ve been saying each month, over and over, that this can’t keep going on like this, and that it seemed ridiculous and embarrassing to be up as much as we were.

SO AGAIN, LETS GET BACK TO FINDING AND DISCUSSING GREAT COMPANIES AND QUIT FIGHTING ABOUT QUESTIONS THAT CAN NEVER BE ANSWERED, AND LET’S DROP THAT DISCUSSION that just was eating up the board. We got the message about living dangerously right with the first couple of posts. It didn’t need to go on, and on, and on. We are grown-ups and if we get hurt when the “big crash” comes, that will be our own responsibility, not yours.

Thanks very much for your cooperation,

Saul

117 Likes

Saul,

I sincerely apologise for my yesterday’s unwarranted and pointed comments concerning your strategy.

You are right; this is your board and you and many others on here have been very successful following your strategy.

I was seriously worried about many newbies on here blindly following your portfolio - you know what you are doing and are obviously very good at it; but I was concerned about the others.

In any event, it was not my place to pass unsolicited comments and I shouldn’t have criticised your strategy on your board.

For what it is worth; I also invest in growth companies but obviously, our methods and holding periods are different which is fine because there are many ways to skin the cat.

Once again, I apologise for my remarks yesterday and wish you and others on here all the best.

GM

55 Likes

Thanks, GM, I wish you well in your endeavors.
Saul

8 Likes

Happy Balloon Day Saul!

Thanks for a great discussion board. :slight_smile:

Lucky Dog

4 Likes

Thanks again Saul.
I feel so at home here on this board
I can even relate to the in and outs that sometimes happen when deciding which stocks you want to hold longer term

1 Like

I have ‘known’ about the Saul’s board for some time, but really didn’t take the time to pay a visit. I got here today via the “Best of” pages link.

After clicking around a couple of hours, I am concluding that this is where perhaps I should have been spending more time.(???) There doesn’t seem to the “cliquishness” that can overshadow some of the TMF boards.

Is there a Saul’s FAQ page? I’d like to go thru it.

BB

1 Like

You should be able to see a link to the Knowledge base to the right. And a link to Additional Information.

Sometimes it does not show up if you are reading in threaded mode.

Leana

1 Like

Yeah. The FAQ etc stuff doesn’t show up on the smartphone version. Gotta go to a PC or MAC browser version then it is all along the right.

On a smartphone, the Knowledgebase and Additional Information appear at the bottom when you scroll down, rather than appearing on the right side when on a computer.

BrerBear,

I have found a growing “clique” mentality on some of the boards as well. Even some I have followed
and been active on for quite some time.

I find it quite silly myself that the “clique” situation even exists on discussion boards.

I have never experienced it here on Saul’s board, nor do I expect to.

As far as other boards are concerned, I’ve found the “ignore” button highly beneficial.

I hope you gain as much knowledge here on Saul’s board as many of us here have.

– This…is the MaineReason
Long Saul’s and other boards
Long the “ignore” button
Short “cliques”

3 Likes

Apologies Saul; previous posted before I came to your ‘strong suggestion’ which I will again try my hardest to abide by. (It is a good quote though.)

Hell I’ve been reading Sauls board for well over a year now, but quickly realized that I should stop posting and sit back and just read the posts.

You guys are way over my head when it comes to analyzing companies, so it’s better to just stay silent and let the magic happen in here.

Keep up the great work, I’m here just to look over your shoulder. :wink:

Chris

5 Likes