Aldi expanding in US, bought competitors, and real source of overall profit

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/19/business/aldi-aisle-of-shame-fans/index.html

2 Likes

Aldi just has the German version of Oscar Myer’s.

1 Like

Aldi in Porto has the ‘aisle of shame’ as does Lidl. I glance at it but I have only bought two T-shirts at a very low price. OK T-shirts but when I first washed them I noticed that they must be rejects, the seams at the sides are not perfectly vertical. That’s how they get these bargains.

There are lots of supermarket chains in Porto. My best estimate is that Aldi is fifth or lower from the top in popularity, below Lidl.

• Mercadona
  • P_ingo Doce
  • Continente
  • Intermarche
  • Lild
  • Aldi

There might be more in the top ten list but i don’t visit them all.

The Captain

An error occurred: Sorry, you can’t post the word ‘P_ingo’; it’s not allowed.

2 Likes

That makes perfect sense since the definition is “a low hill or mound forced up by hydrostatic pressure in an area underlain by permafrost .”

Yes, TMF wouldn’t want that kind of word on its site.

Pete

5 Likes

Think that might be mind control?

LOL

TMF needs to keep this site kid friendly because most of us are under the age of 14.

2 Likes

Here’s a map of Aldi stores. Half the nation is in an Aldi-free zone.

intercst

1 Like

No surprise. No Aldi = area/regional incomes are too low to justify such an expensive (to them) store.

Aldi would do well in both Portland and Seattle. My understanding is that they stand up an Aldi warehouse and supply chain in an area, then build 20 or 30 stores within that service area a reasonable distance from the warehouse. You won’t see one Aldi store in the middle of nowhere.

intercst

1 Like

I think you will see the locations correlate more with population density for the most part.
Individual Aldi stores require 15000 vehicles per day passing by, and the distribution area must support a thirty store build out plan , more or less.

Jk

2 Likes

Half the nation doesn’t have much of anyone living in it. iirc, Washington DC has a greater population than the state of Wyoming.

Steve

3 Likes

Amazing coincidence it is a human free zone.

1 Like

Most major cities probably have the ability to support an Aldi cluster. They have to serve stores with a distribution center with enough volume to make it economic.

Starting that is costly. But you can play leapfrog. Serve first few stores from a DC a few hours away and gradually add stores. That works where cities are a reasonable distance apart. But in the west can be a problem. California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Nevada, Utah probably possible and in their plans. Denver might be a reach.

And then there’s Trader Joe’s–different branch of the same family. Can they share distribution space?

No way. They are nowhere near even having a chance at a reconciliation.