Ambarella (AMBA) mid-quarter review

Ambarella (AMBA) mid-quarter review

Let me preface by emphasizing that I am not a techie, and therefore what I am giving on my own very inexact impressions, which may definitely include misunderstandings. Besides which, Ambarella is much more difficult to analyze than some of the others I’ve done these reports on.

Who is Ambarella?
This company was founded in 2004 and is headquartered in California. It develops products for video that enable high-definition (HD) video capture, sharing, and display worldwide. Their system-on-a-chip puts video processing, image processing, audio processing, and other functions onto a single chip for delivering high image quality with low power consumption. It delivers products for wearable sports cameras (GoPro, etc), automotive aftermarket cameras, security cameras, personal (think police, etc) cameras, and drone cameras, among others. They also have products to manage IP video traffic, broadcast encoding and transcoding, and IP video delivery in the infrastructure market. The company sells its solutions to original design manufacturers (whatever they are) and OEMs.

What is your history with them?
I first took a position in AMBA about two and a half years ago at about $13 and $16, but I haven’t been in them all the way, having been out from time to time for reasons I don’t currently remember.

Don’t chip manufacturers become commoditized?
Yes, that usually happens because competitors make cheaper competing products, causing the company’s margins to fall and fall. That’s one of my worries about Ambarella, and why I recently reduced my position from 7.5% to 5.5%. I think that they currently have a good technology lead, but my worry is that after a while competitors may be able to make a “good enough” alternative, at a cheaper price. The problem is that after a certain amount of image precision in video, making it better does no good because the eye can’t see the difference. On the other hand, many current security cameras give pretty grainy pictures and there should be a big market in upgrading them, perhaps almost indefinitely as the picture can be enlarged to see better, etc, and better definition in drone cameras will definitely be valued.

What about sports cameras like GoPro?
Well, GoPro’s stock price has been as high as $94 or so, and is now at $20, and there is a lot of speculation that the fad is over, as well as lower priced competitors taking market share. I don’t know. Ambarella sells to the low priced competitors anyway, but if the fad is over, or at least quits growing rapidly, Ambarella could lose a chunk of its growth.

How has Ambarella stock been doing?
Well, in the six months or so they’ve been as high as $126, as low as $50, and are now at $58. They’ve had multiple Best Buy recommendations from various MF services at various times. They currently have an adjusted PE of 19.8 and they have been growing trailing adjusted earnings at well over 100%.

Wow, they are more than 50% off the high? What happened?
Well actually, nothing HAPPENED. It’s what people are worried may happen. Their fiscal quarters are Apr, Jul, Oct, Jan, so they haven’t reported October yet. However, their adjusted earnings have been straight up:

2011		$0.45
2012		$0.83
2013		$1.10
2014		$1.98

That enormous rate of growth has even accelerated as their last four quarters adjusted earnings are up to $2.98, which is up 136% from $1.25 in the four previous quarters. Gross margins are steady, or even up a percent or so at 65%, so they aren’t being commoditized yet. Trailing four-quarter revenue is 285.5 million up 64% from 173.9 million the four previous quarters.

To summarize.
This one is a little tougher to figure. All the current metrics look great. The concern is about the future with three main worries:

1. What happens when increased video definition becomes superfluous?

2. What happens when the sports camera craze becomes replacement, and no one wants to bother replacing the camera he or she has?

3. What happens if cheaper competitors catch up?

This is answered by big new markets: police cameras, security cameras, drone cameras, etc. We’ll have to see how it plays out. At a PE of 20 it is no longer wildly valued, but it’s not clear whether growth will continue as before, decrease but still be good growth, or even become shrinkage. Investing in Ambarella is a bet on the middle outcome, I think. But I’m definitely not sure!

Hope you found this interesting, entertaining, and useful.

Saul

For Knowledgebase for this board
please go to Post #9939.

A link to the Knowledgebase is also at the top of the Announcements column
on the right side of every page on this board

40 Likes

I forgot to mention that considerable insider selling has bothered some people too.

And I discovered that doing that review really helped my understanding of AMBA.

Best,
Saul

3 Likes

AMBA really has come down, I believe, based on worries about GPRO’s outlook. Now last Q GPRO represented about 30% of AMBA’s sales. GPRO sales may be slowing but they have not completely gone away and some of the sales GPRO lost was likely to lower priced competitors (some of which use AMBA chips also). GPRO referenced this on their last conference call regarding their price point and lack of ad spend. On the positive side drone business was 10% of sales and growing. Body cameras continues to grow as well as security cameras ( governmental,enterprise,residential). This combined with the semiconductor weakness in general due to worries of AAPL slowing has imo created the perfect storm that has taken AMBA down with the overall sector. If AMBA can report better than feared we should see a very nice multi-day rally as is differentiates itself from the pack.
AMBA was pretty much defenseless as it reports late in the cycle. We shall know in the fullness of time and that time is 12/3.

Rob

2 Likes

Citron (I think) made a big issue of video resolution in their short attack. A lot of folks came to believe (as Saul stated in his review) that this constitutes the sole competitive advantage of Ambarella. As competitors gain the ability to reach the “limit” of human perception (cited as 1080p in the short attack - as if 4k didn’t exist for a reason), Ambarella’s competitive advantage would fade and so too would the stock price.

This argument fails to understand and value the myriad things that Ambarella does better than any other company and why it so hard to compete with them. Have you ever stopped to wonder, if resolution is the entire game, why does Ambarella offer so many different solutions? Simple, resolution is just part of the game, there are a host of other important factors that need to be considered when addressing a specific application. Ambarella excels at all of them.

I won’t try to match the features to the applications, but you can sort of gather them for yourself by thinking about if the thing moves or is it stationary, what’s the operating environment, how does the video get to where it’s needed when it’s desired, etc.

Just a rough summary of some of things to be considered (This is a short list. I’m sure there are others I’m not aware of):

1. Video resolution(and no, human perception is not the limit)
  2. Physical size and weight
  3. Power consumption
  4. Environmental operating range (temperature, pressure, humidity, etc)
  5. Lossless video compression
  6. Ability to withstand shock, acceleration, etc.
22 Likes

It is worth noting that (from Yahoo) short % of float at Nov. 13th. was 47%. Possible reactions as follows:

‘Great, mega short-squeeze coming right up!’

or

‘Gosh, what do they know that I don’t?’.

No holding but tempted to have a tiny punt (it’s tech.). But, like SWKS and SEDG, it does have ROIC, without which etc. etc.

1 Like

I don’t think that it was my post yesterday that sent Ambarella up 8% today.

:wink:

I think that when the Black Friday report came in on GoPro (disappointing), people said “Well we knew that in advance and it was already priced in as far as AMBA” and breathed a sigh of relief. A little reversal of the usual “Buy on the rumor, sell on the news!” This was “Sell on the rumor, buy on the news!” And with over 40% of the stock sold short, when Ambarella didn’t start down, the shorts probably started covering, and that made more shorts cover, etc.

Saul

5 Likes

I don’t think that it was my post yesterday that sent Ambarella up 8% today.

:wink:

I think that when the Black Friday report came in on GoPro (disappointing), people said “Well we knew that in advance and it was already priced in as far as AMBA” and breathed a sigh of relief. A little reversal of the usual “Buy on the rumor, sell on the news!” This was “Sell on the rumor, buy on the news!” And with over 40% of the stock sold short, when Ambarella didn’t start down, the shorts probably started covering, and that made more shorts cover, etc.

Don’t forget that earnings is this Thursday as well (after market close). Shorts may have wanted to cover before that event.

Sincerely,
Charlie

1 Like

Not to mention this from Barron’s

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2015/11/30/ambarell…

Ambarella (AMBA) will report third-quarter earnings on Thursday, and Stifel believes that the video processing chip maker will not only beat expectations, but prove it is more than just a bet on customer GoPro (GPRO).

Brian

6 Likes