Americans Spent More on Taxes in 2021 Than on...

Americans Spent More on Taxes in 2021 Than on Food, Clothing and Health Care Combined

(CNSNews.com) - According to newly released data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Americans in 2021 once again spent more on average on taxes than they did on food, clothing and health care combined.

During 2021, according to Table R-1 in the BLS’ Consumer Expenditure Survey, American “consumer units” spent an average of $15,495.28 on food, clothing and health care combined, while paying an average of $16,729.73 in total taxes to federal, state and local governments.

https://www.cnsnews.com/article/washington/terence-p-jeffrey…

7 Likes

Demand side econ…put up the real GDP growth rate.

The issue is over doing it for the pandemic.

Americans Spent More on Taxes in 2021 Than on Food, Clothing and Health Care Combined

How do you think the giverment pays for all the free stuff they give you? Maybe not to ‘you’ but to all those deserving people.

The Captain

4 Likes

How do you think the giverment pays for all the free stuff they give you? Maybe not to ‘you’ but to all those deserving people.

No link...but this makes sense...

One local politico told me that state, local, federal budgets combined only 6.5% is welfare. That 85% of that is for the seniors.

When you consider how many major industries get a free ride.....
1 Like

z"During 2021, according to Table R-1 in the BLS’ Consumer Expenditure Survey, American “consumer units” spent an average of $15,495.28 on food, clothing and health care combined, while paying an average of $16,729.73 in total taxes to federal, state and local governments."

true for me…

$4000 real estate taxes
$1000+ state sales tax and probably $500 in restaurant tax from meals out and hotel tax from travel.

$500 or more a year in ‘gas tax’ on each gallon of gas.

But I can’t itemize…

Lots income tax…putting me well over $16.7K total…

My sister pays over $18K in real estate taxes alone. ( 2 houses) - now limited to $10K deduction on income tax)

Then again, as a senior, I’m collecting my SS checks and subsidized Medicare (most pay only 20-25% of actual cost)…so I can’t complain too much…(except of course, I got to pay income tax on 85% of SS).

While I was working, I paid and paid and paid in…in taxes.

t

“During 2021, according to Table R-1 in the BLS’ Consumer Expenditure Survey, American “consumer units” spent an average of $15,495.28 on food, clothing and health care combined, while paying an average of $16,729.73 in total taxes to federal, state and local governments.”

Ah, but you left out housing and saving. If the average American pays, say 20%, in taxes the above statement would mean that their income was about $84,000. After subtracting taxes and “food, clothing and health care combined”, the combined spending is about $32K which leaves $50K for housing and recreation.

Doesn’t sound like a bad deal to me.

Jeff

2 Likes

NO Jeff

“Ah, but you left out housing and saving. If the average American pays, say 20%, in taxes the above statement would mean that their income was about $84,000. After subtracting taxes and “food, clothing and health care combined”, the combined spending is about $32K which leaves $50K for housing and recreation”

In TX, a single can take $1000+ in sales tax as a deduction - families get close to 2K…but unless you got $15K for single, or a lot more for a family…you don’t wind up getting any deduction.

Oh, and if you’re working you pay over 8% FICA 1 and 2 tax on your salary…plus of course any income tax.

House owners pay significant real estate taxes… and pay sales taxes on non-food purchases and in some places , on food itself at lower rates. They also pay up to $1.50/gal gas tax on every gallon they buy…most pay the better part of a buck -depends upon the state.

It’s just not ‘income tax’.

t

3 Likes

No link…but this makes sense…

One local politico told me that …

Thank you for granting us the benefit of your opinion.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Methinks most people have more opinions than belly buttons

Desert (No link, but y’all can check out my opinion the next time you take a shower.) Dave

2 Likes