AMS Portfolio review - Feb 2017

Ok this is the first proper (of sorts) portfolio review I have done on this board. We previously used to do this (share portfolio composition and reviews) a lot on the High Yield Portfolio on UK Fool but the forum service is now defunct unfortunately.

A quick backgrounder:-
I have been using Yahoo as my primary portfolio tracking facility - my Singapore and UK brokerage accounts are actually awful at providing any utility in that respect. I need to improve on the Yahoo constraints and have begun building an offline spreadsheet to determine and track performance and ranking factors. My will focus on the US portfolio which is the most relevant to the investing on this board although I will make some cross compares to the Singapore and HK portfolios which I am actively managing - the Singapore holdings are a mix of High Yield stocks (mainly REITS) as well as growth stocks whilst the HK port is more of a fully growth oriented along the lines of the US port. I’m not going to cover the UK portfolio as it really isn’t the investing focus of this board (although B&W might be interested).

Before I get going - I didn’t manage to pull end of Jan data, although in setting up the spreadsheet I pulled some early/mid feb data so whilst I don’t have 2 month on month comparisons I know that my end of Feb position is about equal to where it was at the ~10th/12th Feb stage. Had I pulled the data at the 4 week stage as per Saul and not at month end - the numbers would have looked a lot better, (I dropped over 1% yesterday alone - although it seems to have recovered about half of that today).

Review approach:-
Ok let’s get into it. As you may be aware from other threads, I currently have far too large a portfolio which I need to slim down however in the meantime I’m going to give the portfolio level overview and the leading (top 15) holdings according to various metrics. Right now I’m going to cover purely capital change and leave dividend income aside although I completely believe in considering it from a total return perspective and as re-investment source of funds and in the long run as per B&W’s point of view, providing a growing source of retirement income draw down (ideally spread throughout the year). In future reviews - certainly at the year end I might account for dividend income.

I will focus the overall review across the 3 portfolios but drill down into just the US portfolio and start with looking at 3 ranking metrics: 1) Overall value allocation, 2) Overall % return & 3) 2017 YTD % return. I will ignore inclusion of my outsized holding in my former company stock which I am selling down and will review the (rest of the) top 15 holdings and suspend coverage of the long tail that I am looking to clean up.

Performance review:-
The overall US portfolio 2017 investing returns (excluding fresh capital additions) are up 9.5% from 2016 year end through to 28th Feb market close. Interestingly it is identical to my 2017 investing returns from the HK port - also up 9.5%. (The Singapore port which is a combination of high yield and growth stocks is up 5.34% over the same time period). Both US and HK ports are ahead of their indices but SG is behind.

Overall 2017 February YTD portfolio investment returns (excluding new capital investment) vs index benchmarks:-

US   %YTD change
Port +9.51%
S&P  +5.57%

SG   %YTD change
Port +5.34%
STI  +7.49

HK   %YTD change
Port +9.48%
HS   +7.91%

US Portfolio composition metrics:-

1) Overall portfolio value rankings

#  Ticker %
1  SHOP   2.6%
2  NTES   2.5%
3  SWIR   2.2%
4  BABA   2.0%
5  MZOR   2.0%
6  TAL    1.9% 
7  KMI    1.9%
8  AUDC   1.9%
9  KKR    1.8%
10 PAYC   1.8%
11 INBK   1.7%
12 NCLH   1.7%
13 CYBR   1.7%
14 IMPV   1.6%
15 CTRP   1.6%

In terms of the top 15 holdings – these have been reasonably stable. I’m pretty happy with all of them – although I am watching AUDC and SWIR carefully as their growth record is sporadic and could retreat very quickly on disappointing earnings release. Out of all of them I would be most comfortable adding to BABA (which I have been), KMI and possibly SHOP. Most of these are pure growth plays. I have a bias (and risk exposure) towards cyber security, China and technology. A couple are recovery and income plays (KKR and KMI). Most of these plays also represent a top down mega theme investing approach that I am onboard with, including: Ageing – NCLH & MZOR; the Cloud, IoT & Cyber security – INBK, PAYC, SWIR, NTES, BABA, IMPV & CYBR, and China: CTRP, BABA & NTES & Natural Gas: KMI.

2) Total % gain rankings

#  Ticker %
1  CEVA   691.5%
2  CTRP   208.7%
3  TAL    172.2%
4  AMD    140.4%
5  PANW   135%
6  NTES   114.6%
7  MZOR   102.8%
8  SHOP   102.6%
9  NTAP   90.1%
10 APHQF  88.2%
11 ACBFF  82.0%
12 ABMD   71.7%
13 NOAH   66.1%
14 C      61.2%
15 CCL    47.7%

This list includes a lot of Saul stocks as well as quite a lot of Chinese stocks. I’m probably closest to taking my gains off the table with CEVA, ABMD (which I already top sliced at 130) and C. Interestingly this list includes some long held positions (CEVA, CTRP & AMD) as well as some very young positions (SHOP, APHQF & ACBFF).

3) 2017 YTD % gain rankings

#  Ticker %
1  SWIR   79.9%
2  CYH    74.4%
3  GOGL   45.0%
4  NTES   41.7%
5  DWCH   38.2%
6  SHOP   38.1%
7  APHQF  33.6%
8  INFN   27.8%
9  AMD    27.5%
10 SN     27.4%
11 BOX    27.1%
12 HUBS   26.6%
13 FTNT   24.0%
14 TAL    23.3%
15 SB     22.6% 

My 2017 strongest advancers includes both current high momentum stocks as well as some older positions that have bounced back with the oil price and cyclical recovery in play (admittedly a few from some very bombed out positions - which I should have never entered or exited a lot earlier in the downturn).

Buy and Sell Trades:-
In the January and February time period I exited BOFI and redeployed proceeds into PAYC which was a miraculous pair trade. I added to BABA when it fell back below $90 and I topped up/averaged down on Twilio when it fell below 28.

Watch List:-
I am very interested in adding to my Criteo position and would have several times had I been able to trade afterhours or at inconvenient SG times - Criteo has seen some wild swings of late. I’d also like to raise my position in BX to a full position from a current half position. I’m also considering initiating positions in FB, Square and Paypal although I want to streamline my long tail before or in the process.

Anyhow – thanks for reading and hope it was interesting/useful. All comments welcome (although please don’t go off on one about the risk in Chinese companies - I think we did that one to death).

Cheers
Ant

30 Likes

Ant,

Love it. I think the way you organized the post is great. Did you say what % of your total dollars are in each (US, SG, HK)?

Obviously I haven’t digested everything yet, but I’ll take a crack at one position with a question: SWIR – Do you think the recent bounce is justified? Growth looking forward doesn’t jump off the page. And maybe CYH, same question. Two 80% gains in just a couple months…with questionable fundamentals…maybe it’s time to take the money and run? (DWCH and INFN too maybe)

Just a thought. Can’t wait to see more of these as the months roll on.

Bear

Sorry - just noticed a typo in the portfolio listings. Ticker “C” should read “CY” as in Cypress Semi (which I ended up with via my holding in Spansion - one of my IoT plays which they acquired).
Ant

Thanks of the note Bear.

By way of answers and a follow up…

1. % allocation between ports:-

US would be 70% and SG+HK = 30% split 18% and 12% respectively

1. Would I consider selling some of the potentially unjustified run ups (including SWIR, DWCH and INFN)?

SWIR - yes but only to trade it as I still believe in the long term potential but agree it has probably now got ahead of itself. If I was David G I would probably just hold it. If I was a ruthless allocator of resources like Saul I would probably sell or trim and re-enter when the metrics or story looks better.
DWCH & INFN - yes although at a heft loss. If I can get my head around that then I will - although I think INFN are maybe 1-2 Quarters away from confirming a turnaround.
NTAP - probably yes although there was a great article supporting the longer term potential by Bert H which made me stop and think
AMD - again would have probably neared a selling consideration but again the potential is still exploding on this one
DVMT - yeh this one maybe just about baked
CYH - agree it might be the right thing to do
Others I need to let go of include GRUB, AMBA and FIVE although I missed some reasonable exits points for them and now down on their luck.

In the future to make this a more useful exercise to me and everyone on this board, I’d like to somehow track or notate a simple flag as to whether the latest Q’s results under the review period have been thesis consistent, inconsistent or busting based on revs/earnings growth and 1YPEG type metric alignment.

Ant

5 Likes

… this time with YTD yield running total by portfolio, especially for B&W ;-). I haven’t been able to show change in dividend distributions as I did not capture all of this information exactly last year.

Overall 2017 February YTD portfolio investment returns (excluding new capital investment) vs index benchmarks:-

US   %YTD change  %YTD Yield
Port +9.51%       0.07%
S&P  +5.57%

SG   %YTD change  %YTD Yield
Port +5.34%       0.47%
STI  +7.49

HK   %YTD change  %YTD Yield
Port +9.48%       0%
HS   +7.91%

Next month - at the quarterly review stage, as a note to self as well as to force myself to be accountable on this, I will come back to addressing those points that I mentioned:

1. % allocation between ports (done and done/tick)
    US would be 70% and SG+HK = 30% split 18% and 12% respectively

2. Add in a YTD yield running total (done and done/tick)
    In future reviews - certainly at the year end I might account for dividend income.

3. Company performance tracking (starting with Q1 & current valuations)
    In the future to make this a more useful exercise to me and everyone on this board, I’d like to somehow track or notate a simple flag as to whether the latest Q’s results under the review period have been thesis consistent, inconsistent or busting based on revs/earnings growth and 1YPEG type metric alignment.

4. Mega themes
    Most of these plays also represent a top down mega theme investing approach … I will dig out the complete reference of the 10 mega themes that guided a lot of my US investing approach which happened around the time I discovered the NPI board and Saul’s investing board and link those back to my holdings.

5. Update on my long tail clean up
    I currently have far too large a portfolio which I need to slim down

If anyone has any better/further suggestions then I’d love to hear from you; I can already hear Saul muttering under his breath something about using full corp. names rather than just stock tickers :wink:

Of course if the last few days on the stock market are anything to go by ;-( then I might jack it all in and go snow boarding instead! :wink:

Ant
(BTW thanks everyone for not being kind enough not to haul me over the hot coals for the risks associated with China stock).

9 Likes

ugh - should have read…
(BTW thanks everyone for being kind enough not to haul me over the hot coals for the risks associated with China stock).