Amtrak: NYC to Scranton proposed

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/amtrak/news/Study-outlines-potential-Amtrak-NYC-Scranton-route–68865?fbclid=IwAR0-kU-BoRL7pRWtu9VK0vnrKft3Lshwp7zZ0oSnrNvsZrNjpd6B1GFWBWk

“The trains would travel up to 110 mph on the Lackawanna Cutoff segment. Stations in between Scranton and New York City would be located in Mount Pocono and East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, and Blairstown, Dover, Morristown, Montclair and Newark, New Jersey.”

“the 60-mile segment owned by PNRRA would be upgraded to Federal Railroad Administration track classes 3 and 4 to increase speeds. Signals and positive train control systems would also be installed”

" service could begin as early as 2028… applying for federal funding through the FRA’s Corridor Identification and Development Program; . . . Track improvements on PNRRA-owned segments would cost $100 million to $175 million; train acquisition would cost $70 million to $90 million."

1 Like

Seems like a lot of work from home these days among the semi-professional class.

And being an old fashioned sort of person, I wonder “If their ridership number is reasonable (I’m skeptical), would/could this route also at least break even?” It seems unlikely there is much demand from either end to travel to the other end, but I can imagine good traffic near NYC if it’s a commuter line.

If not financially viable… why? For good feelings?

Rob
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

3 Likes

This study is only the first step. They have a long way to go to invest and build.

I think its ok for Amtrak to look at possible expansions. It can help with economic development of an area. And it is energy efficient compared to driving.

Yes, we hope ridership develops if they get that far. The article notes the route was discontinued only the year before creation of Amtrak. There could be a base to build on. (But that was probably 50 years ago.)