ANET and the 3 Day Rule

volfan,

I read this other day as I was watching ANET drop. I think it was last Thursday. I put some limits in on Friday, but missed them by pennies. Based on your 3-day theory I woke up this morning seeing that ANET in pre-open trading was already up a couple bucks, but put in a couple limits in different accounts figuring I might get lucky.

And, to add more data points to your theory, sure enough ANET dropped nicely and I got both of those limits. On a whim, despite it rising a bit from those limits, put in a 3rd order in yet a different account and picked some up at $239.95!

Thanks so much for posting this theory, it worked well for me today :slight_smile:

Paul - Really enjoying all the enthusiasm around ANET !

1 Like

Give the credit to Duma, this thread was my first real intro to the 3-day rule too… I simply decided to try to pay attention to it in this instance.

One other factor that could be of interest for short term movement watchers this week is the fact that this week is options expiration week. I almost think that might have played a bit into the timing of this particular “research note” from Cleveland Research, to provide a decent setup for some short-term options plays for calls expiring this Friday. To be determined if that is the case though. I currently hold no Arista options, but do have some NVDA $240 calls expiring Friday…which may be somewhat indirectly aided by Netflix’s very nice earning this afternoon (if that can boost the general tech sector a bit).

Caveat emptor

2 Likes

Thanks so much for posting this theory, it worked well for me today :slight_smile:

There is also the theory that prices drop on Mondays (generally mid morning) and rise on Fridays.

Denny Schlesinger
Voodoo Investing?

Denny,

I’ve noticed that trend as well. However, in this case, ANET fell on Friday too, just not quite far enough to trigger my limit buys :slight_smile:

But hey, if it takes Voodoo to make me money, I’m all for that!

Paul

But hey, if it takes Voodoo to make me money, I’m all for that!

Paul

I picked up some pocket money selling covered calls on MDB on Thursday and buying them back yesterday betting on MDB lockup expiration (today) price drop.

MongoDB Could Move Lower When Lockup Expires
Apr. 7, 2018 3:56 PM ET

When the 180-day lock up period for MongoDB expires on April 17, 2018, pre-IPO shareholders and insiders will be able to sell currently-restricted shares for the first time.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4161604-mongodb-move-lower-…

Of course the article implies that the price will drop as they sell but since the market is a discounting machine with everybody trying to front run the herd, the price drop is brought back from the future – a veritable time machine!

BTW, that’s one way to play Citron short raids.

Denny Schlesinger