Another Reminder About Our Companies

I’ve read all the threads on the current state of our investments. I didn’t know which thread seemed appropriate so I decided to start a new one. I don’t really have anything to say that’s new. So this is a reminder that seems to have been overlooked in much of the current discussion. I’ll freely admit that I was one of the members here who was somewhat panicky recently. I’ve calmed down. I’m in the sit tight and wait it out mode at present. Here’s why.

I’ll also interject as an aside that I’m in China right now and my internet connection is really flaky. I’ve got a VPN that’s supposed to be very good here in China. Not true - at least not true for a Windows device.

Anyway, most every thread posted here has focused on “growth” and/or “momentum.” I view those two terms as being very different phenomena, but I’l ignore that for now. I’ll only say that the market has traditionally rewarded growth. I would posit that one of the primary reasons, if not the primary reason for Saul’s long term success has been his laser focus on growth. So focusing on growth is not inappropriate. But it is not the only factor with respect to these investments.

I just wanted to remind folks that there are other very substantive reasons for these particular companies to succeed. And business success is really the key thing for mid to long term investment success. Revenue growth is just a proxy, it’s simple indicator that provides a reasonably reliable measurement of business success.

So a reminder that most of these businesses are unlike any that have come before. We are at a unique point in the evolution of society and business. The current intersection of the high speed internet, big data, cloud, computing performance and the pending explosion of IoT along with 5G put us uniquely on the cusp of the “information age.” People have been talking about this new paradigm for a decade or more now, but it is only recently that related investment opportunities have become available.

Denny often reminds us of the S-curve and how it describes any given product life cycle. But there is another way of looking at it on a more macro level. From my perspective we are close to the beginning of the S-curve as it relates to the information age.

The companies we are invested in are leading the way with respect to exploitation of the information age.

Has anyone ever seen the kinds of margins these companies seem to share? Saul’s been at this with a methodology for a long time. We’re not investing in sneakers anymore. In fact, we’re not investing in any business that sells tangible things (or if they do, it’s only to enable their primary products, it’s not the thrust of their business).

Does anyone recall a considerable number of companies that had net retention rates over 100% for numerous quarters (while retaining huge operating margins)? Does anyone remember investing in companies where each years revenue is virtually guaranteed to at least mirror the current year? Does anyone remember investing in a whole class of businesses with such extraordinary moats, “category crushers” as Saul puts it?

So absolutely, revenue growth is a vitally important indicator of a good investment opportunity. But it’s not the only thing that makes these companies stand out in the marketplace of potential investments. It’s maybe just the first filter.

We have a host of factors that make these companies unique. I’ve become comfortable with the discomfort of the value erosion in my portfolio. I view it as transitory. I am confident that virtually all my investments will return to their prior levels. The only thing that makes me a bit uncomfortable is that some big, mediocre company with very deep pockets buys out some of these smallish companies thereby so diluting the potential that it becomes almost invisible. But even this is mitigated by the fact that it’s extremely unlikely that the majority of these companies get bought out.

Just my way of looking at things. I hope it helps others who are still somewhat panicky.

I know, the next question is along the lines of, “OK Brittle, so when are they going to return to their prior glory?” In other words, a market timing question. Like Saul, or maybe worse than Saul, I’m no good at timing my buys and sells. But if you hold my feet to the fire, I’d venture a guess that it’s unlikely to last so long as a year unless (big caveat here) we go into a recession or the political situation overwhelms everything else. If that’s the case, it will take longer.

60 Likes

Brittle–you raise some good points, but I’m going to disagree on a few things, or at least throw my working thesis out here on why I think the investment climate for this group may have changed. I have seen investment bubbles come and go over the years (networking stocks in the 90s, internet bubble, 3D printing, cannabis recently, etc.). There is a famous quote along the lines of “the market ALWAYS overestimates the impact of new technologies/trends in the short-term, and underestimates them over the long-term.” The result of this is that the market tends to overpay for names in a sector almost assuming they will enjoy high-growth and no meaningful competition for extended periods of time. Both very false assumptions given the very nature of competitive, capitalist system. There is a pattern to these things.

Reality eventually hits. SaaS/software is still great for many of the reasons you cited, but I think we may be at the phase of the investment cycle where the market will be much more discerning instead of just throwing high multiples at every flashy SaaS/software growth company. When I say high-multiples, I mean that relative to what multiples software companies have traded at historically-speaking. I’ve made several posts on this and other boards, but historically, software company multiples have trended towards no more than 10 or so over time.

Here are the reasons why we may have arrived at the “Great SaaS/software Shake-out”. This pattern plays out with every new and hot sector investing trend:

1. Some will disagree, but the move to the cloud is maturing and the early adopters are already well into the transformation. The greenfield opportunity is getting smaller and smaller.

2. The result of #1 above is that the land-grab is getting more difficult. What evidence do I have of that? Witness ZS, OKTA, and others saying deals are taking longer to close. They may blame “sales execution” issues or that contracts are getting larger, but at the heart of it is that there is starting to be more competition as others catch-up and roll-out copycat offerings, and also, naturally LESS early adopters out there than the prior year.

3. The moats are never as great as Wall Street initially thinks. Pager Duty (PD), New Relic (NEWR), and Nutanix (NTNX) are perfect examples of this. They built great products which were very good at what they did, but they only had one basic function for all intent and purposes. As other SaaS/software plays look to continue their “expand” strategy into adjacent categories to keep up their growth rates, they naturally start to step on each other’s toes. ESTC has moved into application monitoring with NEWR. PD is getting burned by TEAM (OpsGenie). VMW has stunted NTNX’s growth. SPLK and ESTC are going at it. This is natural, of course–competitors see large TAMs and want to take a slice. The problem is there really isn’t a great moat for a lot of these SaaS/software plays–having the “best” product isn’t necessarily enough to fend off competition with “good enough” offerings with better prices. When this happens, the common reaction is to spend even more heavily on marketing and restructure pricing. That is McKinsey consulting playbook 101. This doesn’t even begin to cover all the little software start-ups out there that are saying “I can build this product too”. For example, I know 2 local software start-ups in my area that are doing exactly what ZUO does, and I don’t even live in an area known for tech start-ups.

As with every new technology/trend that comes along, investing in it becomes more difficult as the transformation matures. The TAMs start to overlap, and so it becomes more important than ever to distinguish the companies with real moats from companies with flashy, but unsustainable, growth. Signs of trouble to look for are (1) longer sales cycles, (2) increased marketing spend, and (3) changes in pricing structure. Those are tell-tale signs that the competition is heating up in the space, and a very good warning sign.

75 Likes

My question is if these companies have a stream
of income from their subscription base and are
embedded into a companies data system which might
make it difficult and expensive to change vendors
what is the long term problem? I could see growth
possible falling off, but add-ons and software
updates should add to future growth. I am new at
the SAAS concept but have committed to the likes
of MBD, TWLO, ZS, TTD, CRWD, AYX, DOCU,and OKTA.
I am still a buyer, adding a little more of ZS,
DOCU, and CRWD this week.

4 Likes

I think we may be at the phase of the investment cycle where the market will be much more discerning instead of just throwing high multiples at every flashy SaaS/software growth company.

Capitalism, I would posit that the market has been greatly discerning. Look at Talend, Nutanix, Twou, etc etc. It’s grow or die, and if you don’t keep showing results, your multiple gets cut down.

historically, software company multiples have trended towards no more than 10 or so over time.

Historically, and today, it depends a lot on if they’re growing at 20% or 60%. CRM is not just software but SaaS software, and it’s PS is actually below 10 at present.

Where’s this “bubble,” man?

Bear

PS - Signs of trouble to look for are (1) longer sales cycles, (2) increased marketing spend, and (3) changes in pricing structure. Those are tell-tale signs that the competition is heating up in the space, and a very good warning sign.

I agree with you there! But direly important: these are company-specific.

18 Likes

This is from Capitalism during the December crash of last year: https://discussion.fool.com/good-news-saas-stocks-getting-murder…

The last bastions of strength, namely the SaaS sector, is now joining in the carnage. When the hold-outs get taken out and shot that usually means we’re in capitulation phase (e.g. everything is being sold down indiscriminately) which also means we’re getting closer to a short-term bottom. Maybe.

That said, I don’t really care either way as I am still intermediate-term bearish (at least the next 3-6 months) on the markets and not planning on doing any buying. I’ll wait to see how deep the economic slowdown is going to be. I still believe that all the GDP models (Bloomberg etc.) still have US growth too high over the next few quarters and will need to come down further.

You guys probably think–so what, a slowdown or even recession? It is already being priced into equities. Not really. Back in the good old days, recessions were just that. Nowadays, they’re coupled with banking collapses and unforeseen crisis — thanks to dislocations caused by QE, poor regulation, and insane amounts of government and private debt.

Don’t worry, many things you can cut and paste from my past as well - I respect his opinion, and his current opinion as well. We do not want group think here or anywhere. I just don’t necessarily agree with it other than what is turbulence (and hey, some turbulence can drop an aircraft 20,000 feet before it regains its composure and re-asserts its flight path).

I bought hands over fist back then, and put in new money just now. Capitalism either rode it out or sold (I don’t know which, or perhaps moved into “defensive” plays, I don’t know).

What were the opportunity costs even after the current crash, let us see prices in Oct or Dec 2018 and now after the next crash:

AYX - $50 to now $107
ZS - $32 - $47 (well $34 in December, $32 in October)
MDB - $71 - $122
OKTA - $48 to $100

Sure we are talking the bottoms you could have bought during those periods of time, but also that would be maximum panic. Just 4, others did not change much (oops they did, even when I was looking for what did not):

Elastic went from $62 to now $85.

At the end of December PSTG went from $14 to $17 but otherwise broke even from the middle of December.

So biding by macro-economics and not adding anything cost around 50% gain or more (even after the current crash) during this intermediate period of weakness but they can now, again, be bought “on-sale” {I hate that term as I think it is very inaccurate} but the numbers speak for themselves.

In rare circumstances turbulence can smash the plane into the ground - and the metaphor can apply to the market. Maybe this time will be different and Capitalism’s perspective will finally be correct…or maybe not. I don’t know. Obviously I don’t invest in the same manner as the Capitalism process and perspective.

Each to their own, but it is good to go down the historical path again because frankly, this is getting boring. Every time there is a crash it is the same thing over and over again. Yes, maybe this time the plane crashes…each invest in their own manner.

Tinker

36 Likes

I’ve been saying this but I will repeat myself. EXAS, ENPH, and PINS didn’t suddenly wake up to new competition on August 25 or whatever day the Barron’s article came out. Growth stocks are getting hit hard across the board, regardless of what sector they are in, regardless of their competitive advantage.

On the other hand, I am seeing anything with monitoring and alerting heating up. And if your product is a feature, you’re likely to get wiped out, which is what’s happening with PD right now. Which is why I don’t own anything “alerting” and never did. “Monitoring” is now heating up. Which is why I don’t want anything to do with ESTC, DDOG, NEWR or anything like that. But I’m not going to carte blanche end growth investing because of this downturn. You can’t tell me PINS, which has nothing to do with SaaS, share the same fortune as SaaS. TTD, for that matter. All these companies are going to have their own fortune. They don’t all rise and fall to the same fortune because they are in the SaaS bucket. If so, explain how MDB’s situation has changed suddenly in the last month, just because it has an Atlas product and therefore a “SaaS company.”

The market does not distinguish between true competitive advantage and fancy current growth rates when valuing a company. that’s the conclusion I’ve come to.

6 Likes

Warren Buffett gave several historic speeches in late 1999 warning not about the long term general USA stock market. He discussed the 17 year bull (1982-1999) that some thought would never end, and also the previous 17-18 year bear some thought would never rebound. He stated the obvious that the widely held expectations in 1999 of 12-22% compound returns for the next 17 were impossible and predicted the most likely S&P 500 returns would be more like 3%, which turned out to be precisely correct.

But his most important revelatory principle to me which Jeff Bezos said at that very time influenced him profoundly was that in any tech revolution, it is easy to see the revolution at hand but very difficult to identify which companies will win and that the overwhelming majority of stocks in the sector will fail. He advised that it is usually pretty easy to identify the losers.

At the time he pointed to the auto and airline industries, obviously the future 90 years earlier, but of the 2000+ American auto companies in the century, only 3 survived in 1999, and of the 600+ commercial airlines, few remained. But you could have safely shorted buggy whips.

Bezos saw that among the thousands of Internet retailers in 2000, very few would survive the decades, and that Amazon’s survival was by no means guaranteed. He was franticly motivated, he said.

That lesson served me well for nearly two decades, then i found the cloud stocks, and my past success has perhaps caused me to become immodest enough to believe that i am better at identifying future leaders like Bezos, Gates, Page, Jobs, Hastings, etc. Hubris? delusion? IDK. But Buffett’s lesson keeps me somewhat more careful than i otherwise would be, which might rather result in missed wealth opportunities.

Buffett and Bezos lesson for those who find it compelling as do i: 90%+ of the publicly traded companies in the cloud/SAAS/subscription space today will not be around 10-20 years hence, some by successful consolidation but most by withering. Which will continue to flourish and dominate?

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/1999ar/FortuneMagazine.pdf

7 Likes

CRM is not just software but SaaS software, and it’s PS is actually below 10 at present.

Where’s this “bubble,” man?

CRM is 20 years old and a public company for 15 years. For a company with $15 B run rate, they made about $1 or so in profits, still diluting over 5%. Of course the company is still growing.

So the valuation cannot be only on one metric. If you look at the profitability etc they are very richly valued.

1 Like

Tinker–I appreciate you pulling this post, though I frankly don’t see how it is relevant to this thread. That was my perspective on the macro-economic environment, while this thread is my view on how things are evolving in the software/SaaS industry as far as moving into a phase of increased competition and overlapping TAMs. I guess this was a lawyer-ly attempt to discredit me? I actually think you did the opposite.

In any case, let’s go through what I said:

The last bastions of strength, namely the SaaS sector, is now joining in the carnage. When the hold-outs get taken out and shot that usually means we’re in capitulation phase (e.g. everything is being sold down indiscriminately) which also means we’re getting closer to a short-term bottom. Maybe.

• This was 100% correct in hindsight. I posted that literally within 1 day of the December bottom. Pretty great call I’d say.

That said, I don’t really care either way as I am still intermediate-term bearish (at least the next 3-6 months) on the markets and not planning on doing any buying. I’ll wait to see how deep the economic slowdown is going to be. I still believe that all the GDP models (Bloomberg etc.) still have US growth too high over the next few quarters and will need to come down further.

• Another good call as far as the economic situation. The economy in has in fact deteriorated since last year to the point that the Fed has been forced to cut rates twice now–in July and September. Don’t conflate the stock market’s performance with the state of the economy, they are not the same. Not relevant, but if you want a fuller expalanation of my investing methodology, I look at the macro-environment when deciding on how to allocate my portfolio between growth stocks, defensive plays, bonds, fixed income, etc. So yeah, you could have made 50% if you were brave enough to have bought SOME select SaaS/software names at the December bottom. Great. Meanwhile, being worried about slowing economic growth and interest rates falling as a result, I went defensive into bonds (TLT), utilities (XLU), REITs (VNQ) and gold (GLD) – all of which do well in that environment. How have those defensive plays done since December? Up 20+% on average this year, and much more if you think about it on a risk-adjusted basis.

You guys probably think–so what, a slowdown or even recession? It is already being priced into equities. Not really. Back in the good old days, recessions were just that. Nowadays, they’re coupled with banking collapses and unforeseen crisis — thanks to dislocations caused by QE, poor regulation, and insane amounts of government and private debt.

• That was a musing and I consider it still up in the air. These things take time to play out, but I still stand behind the fact that this debt-fueled, historically low-interest rate party will end very badly.

Lastly, your post does not address a single point I made about the increasing overlap between the various software/SaaS players as they “land-and-expand” on each other’s turf, the maturing of the digital/cloud transformation and early adopters, and the tangible warning signs of trouble I put. All your post really says is you disagree and bragged that you bought hand over fist back in December.

13 Likes

I brought it up to illustrate my point that this same topic and conversation comes up every time there is a market crash, and yet, if one understands it as noise, turbulence, when the next crash comes you go hark! I am still up 50%, even from the depths of this crash, from what I bought in the depths of the prior crash.

And yet those who say wait and wait never partake in the market feel vindicated while those very same investments have lower price to sales and are up 50% or more since the last time we were warned to not invest in the market.

This time is different? Maybe. Regardless of the general issues you raise your action step is to do the same thing as you did the last crash.

Maybe this time it will be different, you will be right, and price to sales will fall to 5x and no future growth will ever be priced into a stock again (and if not, then all that future growth will be earned each year as each stock proves itself year after year). Works either way for me.

Tinker

9 Likes

OK, but let’s look at the message: Data centers have slowed down, along with all hardware going into them (I will need to check what Azure and AWS are up to, every time this topic comes up, they are still ticking away). We’ve known this for over a year though hardware going to datacenters have slowed down.

I work in the electronics components industry. I had a rep for a very large memory manufacturer tell us the reason they can’t deliver parts, and lead time is 30 weeks, is because they just can’t keep up with demand due to data centers sucking up all capacity. This was like 2 years ago. I said then that I’m going to buy cloud stocks and sell when that is not the case, when memory is no longer on constraint. We saw signs that data center buildouts were slowing like 1 year ago on the hardware end, starting with Arista giving a warning around May 2018. Memory allocation ended later last year. Yet, I still held. I did not hold my original promise to sell when data center buildouts slowed down for 2 reasons. One, AWS and Azure were still growing, and second, the software companies themselves were still doing good.

Third, I realized, you simply can’t lump every SaaS company out there in some “SaaS industry” bucket. Autodesk is now moving to SaaS. What does that have to do with anything when evaluating MongoDB, for example?

But this question still needs to be asked. And let’s not panic because of the crash.

1. Are companies like Alteryx likely to slow down if adaption to cloud slows down?
  2. Is Alteryx seeing more competition?

Then ask that same question for each stock, starting with ZScaler.

Because yes, at some point, cloud adaption will slow down, and half these SaaS companies won’t be around in 10 years, and things WILL get more competitive as time goes on. So far, like I said, alerting and monitoring seems to be the 1 industry that seems to be getting more competition.

5 Likes

“Maybe this time it will be different, you will be right, and price to sales will fall to 5x and no future growth will ever be priced into a stock again (and if not, then all that future growth will be earned each year as each stock proves itself year after year). Works either way for me.”

Great post Tinker, I couldn’t recommend that one enough. Sanity

I think expectations get way out of wack when investing becomes so easy that it seems your portfolio is having a bad year when it only goes up 40%.

Going forward if the portion of my portfolio that I’ve dedicated to these names returns 20% a year for the next 5 years I’ll be very happy. 15% and I’ll be ok as well. Anything beyond that would just be gravy.

People need to step back into reality a bit. You can’t be ok with stocks going up 50% in a couple of months, and completely shocked when they go down just as fast. It happens.

6 Likes

Recessions have often been coupled with banking crises since the 1800’s or even earlier. So it is nothing new. The last prolonged US banking crises was in the 1930’s. The banking system is more stable than it used to be despite the greed and inappropriate risk taking of modern bankers because we now have lenders of last resort who can never run out of liquidity.

Capitalism -

As a rule I don’t comment on macro issues since I know I have zero control over them. You clearly follow them much more closely than I do and being honest I can’t disagree with any of your general points. However, I can’t help but ask about the actual investment decisions you made based on your macro read:

Meanwhile, being worried about slowing economic growth and interest rates falling as a result, I went defensive into bonds (TLT), utilities (XLU), REITs (VNQ) and gold (GLD) – all of which do well in that environment. How have those defensive plays done since December? Up 20+% on average this year…

So 20+% on average vs an S&P that was up 19% YTD heading into today. I know there’s more than one way to skin a cat, but I guess I’m missing your point on the benefit of this defensive stance unless your plus sign above is a fairly significant number. While you made the right call on interest rates falling, your statement doesn’t really show how you translated that into better investing returns.

…and much more if you think about it on a risk-adjusted basis.

I’m not sure I’m following this one. Maybe my perspective is off base since I have a relatively high risk tolerance, but why would I think about it on a risk-adjusted basis? Isn’t my return my return? What’s the benefit of this risk adjustment and where would it show up in my returns?

I guess my question is why go defensive at all when you could have just bought an index fund and basically gotten the same results?

14 Likes

this debt-fueled, historically low-interest rate party will end very badly. every party (Big bull) ends badly in the stock market with a hangover (Bear) Almost all booms in the US are debt fueled ,from canals through railroads to more modern booms. Knowing this is not enough ,that is how Capitalism works. You need to know the timing to make money in stocks.
There is more than one way to make or lose money in markets so viva if yours works for you. I am always glad to hear when you think a turning point is at hand.

the phrase “getting closer to a short-term bottom. Maybe.” is not what I would call precise bottom picking. Was that actionable in itself?

1 Like

There are always clouds on the horizon and it’s always easy to be worried about a macro slowdown/recession, political chaos, wars, etc. It’s easy to bring up caution. It always sounds wise, but honestly it’s useless advise. Predictions are a dime a dozen. The best thing we can do is analyze the individual companies and make sure they are executing, have a competitive moat, and are well capitalized to continue to thrive in a weak economic environment.

Everyone is up big on these stocks and profit taking is taking place and fear is setting in, panic probably soon.

Nobody knows what’s going to happen. Imagine a shallow recession and these SAAS stock continue to grow between 35 and 50%. Could we not see these stocks rebound as everyone was expecting a huge slowdown because of the recession. Remember these stocks are already down big. Expectations are being reset as we speak with the large decline in stock prices.

Data, data and data. Did I say data. Data is in secular growth mode. That will not change in a recession. The business model of MDB, AYX, ZS is light and agile. Gross margins are very high for AYX and ZS in particular. ZS stated churn has never been lower in their latest conference call. The stock has already adjusted for the longer sales cycle. The market caps are small in the grand scheme of things. How much would CRM, MSFT, ORCL, IBM, etc, be willing to pay for any of these companies. That puts a floor on these 3 companies in particular.

7 Likes

If you set 12 clocks to the hour, each to a different hour take the battery out and anytime of the day one of those clocks will be almost right.

Take a 1000 pundits pontificating about macro economics and one of then will be right, right before the market crashes.

It has been my experience that investing based on macro economics is an excellent way to make a small fortune, out of a large one.

Cheers
Qazulight

3 Likes

Sorry about the typos. We get one chance to get our posts right here. no post posting edits. :slight_smile:

on first line of my previous post, i meant Buffett WAS warning about the general market long term and NOT about the short term.

i’ll review more carefully.

1 Like

“getting closer to a short-term bottom. Maybe.” is not what I would call precise bottom picking

Bottom’s are “ex post facto”

1 Like

@Capitalism
In that you replied directly to me, I feel I must respond. At the same time, I am mindful that this whole thread make take us too far off topic with respect to the rules of the board. I did not address specific companies, so it’s borderline.

I do pay attention to the macro situation, but I find that I don’t make investment decisions based on macro analysis. My decisions are very narrowly focused on specific companies. I did not list the companies that comprise my portfolio. But I did mention Saul’s reference to “category crushers.” If that’s not clear, I will assert that I do not invest in SaaS cloud companies simply by virtue of the fact that SaaS cloud is central to the business model. For that matter, it’s not central to AYX or TWLO. Maybe some others. I also don’t invest for the “long term.” I defy anyone to correctly pick 12 - 15 companies that will thrive in ten or more years. OK, maybe Buffet (I wonder how many losers have populated his portfolio over the years). In any case, that’s not my strategy. I re-evaluate on an on-going basis. When I see fundamental changes that adversely impact one of my investments, I get out. So far as I can see, that is not the present case. Is my vision foggy? Probably, I don’t have a crystal ball that flawlessly reveals the present let alone the future.

To address the specifics of your post you asserted without evidence that The greenfield opportunity is getting smaller and smaller. Technically, I can’t argue with that. As soon as the first company moved to the cloud the “greenfield” was reduced by one. The more relevant observation would be has the greenfield been made smaller to a degree that there is a noticeable impact on the “category crushers” that comprise the majority of my (our) investments? Let me remind you to look at the TAM for each of these companies and how much of it has been absorbed by these companies and their competitors combined. It is my fact based observation that there’s a very large unexploited greenfield remaining. And to some degree that ignores the disruptive nature that typically is associated with these investments. They are taking rather than yielding market share.

What about the longer sales cycle? I have a body of experience here. I was an enterprise architect at a Fortune 50 company before I retired. I was one of the folks who established IT guidelines and standards. In a nutshell, bigger fish take longer to land. There’s more people involved in the decision process. My experience was when the big company I worked for acquired a smaller company (I was involved in a number of these acquisitions) it was always the case that the smaller company didn’t even have an enterprise architect (let alone and organization of enterprise architects). IT decisions were often made by one highly respected individual. There were no strategic guidelines and standards. There was no justification required for a decision that deviated from the non-existent standards. As the companies I (we)are invested in close more sales they establish the credibility required to approach larger companies with more bureaucracy and longer sales cycles. More than once I saw superior products rejected because the company selling the product was not considered sufficiently financially viable. This is the primary reason you see these companies investing heavily in sales and marketing. The more customers they land bigger companies become sales targets.

What I just wrote about sales cycles is also germane to the moat. Large companies do not base their purchasing decisions only on technical product evaluation. Financial viability is an important criteria especially for products that become deeply embedded in the company’s operations. Legal entanglements are also seriously considered. There are a host of criteria that come into play that are usually not considered at smaller companies. So competition based on technical merits of the product is important but insufficient to establish a moat.

Finally, you wrote, I think we may be at the phase of the investment cycle where the market will be much more discerning… I can’t argue with your thoughtful opinion. I just don’t share it. Time will prove one of us right.

16 Likes