Any advice

When asked, my Dad, a successful investor, said generally the time to sell a stock is when you would no longer buy it.

So, review your portfolio and sell those which no longer meet your buying criteria.

4 Likes

When asked, my Dad, a successful investor, said generally the time to sell a stock is when you would no longer buy it.

So, review your portfolio and sell those which no longer meet your buying criteria.

This sounds like wise, sage advice. But reallyā€¦can one honestly, consistently, beat a simple S&P500 or Vanguard Total Market fund doing this?

3 Likes

This sounds like wise, sage advice. But reallyā€¦can one honestly, consistently, beat a simple S&P500 or Vanguard Total Market fund doing this?

Nice theoretical question gets a theoretical answer, maybe.

2 Likes

It is REALLY easy to beat the market (assuming that is ones goal), as long as you are willing to suffer the volatility. Admittedly, I have found myself at my breaking point more than once over the last decade, but have stayed the course.

Want to beat the S&P? By something like UPRO - up 261% vs the S&P up 86% over the last five years.

Want to beat the NASDAQ? Buy something like QLD - up 390% vs the NASDAQ up 128% over the last five years.

If you have a really strong stomach, you could even do TQQQ, up 484% over the last five years, even after being down 40% YTD.

It is REALLY easy to beat the market (assuming that is ones goal), as long as you are willing to suffer the volatility. Admittedly, I have found myself at my breaking point more than once over the last decade, but have stayed the course.

Want to beat the S&P? By something like UPRO - up 261% vs the S&P up 86% over the last five years.

Want to beat the NASDAQ? Buy something like QLD - up 390% vs the NASDAQ up 128% over the last five years.

If you have a really strong stomach, you could even do TQQQ, up 484% over the last five years, even after being down 40% YTD.

This changes the subject from individual stocks versus index funds to leverage or no leverage. A different discussion with a different risk/reward environment. Circling back to my original point, study after study has shown that the ability to beat ā€œthe marketā€(index)by timing individual stocks is very rare.

2 Likes

Understand what you are investing in, these all are leveraged products and maybe detrimental to your financial well being.

Andy

5 Likes

That is one misconception seen here frequently, beating the S&P500. What if your goal is to decrease volatility? Or through off enough dividends to cover needs and wants?

While the S&P500 is an easy measuring stick, it might not be the right measuring stick for your goals at the time.

JLC

3 Likes

Ymmv, but keeping up with the S&P 500 is one of the best ways to retain your buying power and keep up with inflation.

Now that many expect to be retired 30 or more years, inflation protection should be part of your retirement plan.

Understand what you are investing in, these all are leveraged products and maybe detrimental to your financial well being.

No more detrimental than individual stock. All involve risk and the potential to go to zero - yet a leveraged holding of a major index is highly unlikely to go to zero.

Just have to have the time horizon to hold it.

Inflation has been a non-issue for so long, I donā€™t think about it.

How do you see the S&P hedging against inflation? Since it is made up of individual stocks, does not buying some subset of individual stocks accomplish the same thing? Or is there something special about the S&P that Iā€™m missing?

1poorguy (does hold his IRA in an index in Vanguard)

That is one misconception seen here frequently, beating the S&P500. What if your goal is to decrease volatility? Or through off enough dividends to cover needs and wants?

While the S&P500 is an easy measuring stick, it might not be the right measuring stick for your goals at the time.

If you wish to reduce volatility, lower your equity allocation. Moving to individual stocks to lower volatility is just trading one risk (volatility) for another (the permanent death of a part of your portfolio a la Lucent, Worldcom, Enron etc).

2 Likes

No more detrimental than individual stock. All involve risk and the potential to go to zero - yet a leveraged holding of a major index is highly unlikely to go to zero.

I thought conventional wisdom was NOT to hold these things long term?
Something about the daily reset?

It could be a wild ride. Chart from start of 2020 to now:

https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?VTI,VXUS,BND,BRKā€¦

-74% to +116%

1 Like

I thought conventional wisdom was NOT to hold these things long term?

Yep, but sometimes being unconventional can be very profitable.

It could be a wild ride.

Heh, youā€™re not kidding - but then one should be willing to get out of a leveraged position in much the same way you are willing to get out of a stock.

I had existed my leveraged positions before Covid hit - I no longer recall why. I got back in at numerous points starting on 6/16/2020. That first purchase is up 85% in less than two years - even after losing 25% YTD. NASDAQ of course is up roughly half that. At some point, I will likely get out again - and then get back in again.

Actually Hawkins that might not be true. They reset daily. Itā€™s not like holding an index of volatile stocks, which would be I think what you are looking for.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/121515/why-3ā€¦

Andy

Actually Hawkins that might not be true. They reset daily.

Your link is broken.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/121515/why-3ā€¦

I agree with much of the article but it is unnecessarily fear mongering on some points, to wit:

Triple-leveraged (3x) exchange traded funds (ETFs) come with considerable risk and are not appropriate for long-term investing.

Says who? I think bitcoin and gold are terrible investments but there a lot of people that have made a lot of money on such investments. You wonā€™t find me speculating in such but I donā€™t fear ā€œbettingā€ on a an index of companies that make stuff increasing in value over time.

Since they maintain a fixed level of leverage, 3x ETFs eventually face complete collapse if the underlying index declines more than 33% on a single day.

Has the S&P 500 or the NASDAQ EVER lost that much on a single day (the answer is no)? Should I really be so afraid of such a situation that I entirely avoid an investment opportunity?

Even if none of these potential disasters occur, 3x ETFs have high fees that add up to significant losses in the long run

While they do indeed have fees, that does not necessarily mean that it will be losses, much less significant losses, in the long run. They make that claim under a false assumption that the index never goes up. Again, I am sitting on gains, net of fees, far in excess of the NASDAQ. Iā€™ve been in and out of QLD for at least a decade (all my QLD posts):

https://www.fool.com/search/solr.aspx?q=hawkwin+qld&sortā€¦

And my first QLD post:
https://discussion.fool.com/options-market-making-a-prediction-3ā€¦

I occasionally sell some covered calls on my various positions. One positions, QLD (2x the NASDAQ), is one of my favorites.

This morning, it is trading around 58.49. The July 66 is selling for $126.

That means that if I sell a call, QLD would have to sell for 66 or over between now and expiration for me to not to have my option expire out of the money. It would have to sell for over 67.26 for me to actually not maximize return over the same period.

What that says to me is that the professional traders are making a decent bet that QLD will go up by about 15% in just a little over four months - which means they think the NASDAQ will go up just under half as much over the same time period. That seems to be a bit surprising to me - and a good call to sell. If the professional traders are right, I lock in at least a 15% gain in a little over four months plus the $126.

If I am right and the traders are wrong, I still yield 2% from the call over the same period.

Are the professional traders suggesting a strong and atypical summer? I am by no means an option expert - which is why I only dabble in covered calls and not the more exotic option strategies - but somebody is spending a lot of money at prices both below and above 66 buying up these calls so somebody with a lot more money than I seems to think so.

As much as I like being right, I am actually hopeful that the professional traders are more right than I am on this one.

BTW, QLD was up 21% from 3/6/13 to 7/23/13. My call was exercised. I only made 17% instead of 21. shrug

Anyway, back to the original link.

I really like this next one:

Volatility in a leveraged fund can quickly lead to losses for an investor. Those looking for real-world examples of this phenomenon need look no further than the performance of the S&P 500 and associated 3x ETFs during the first half of 2020.

OKā€¦ Soā€¦ what happened during the last half of 2020? Oh ya, that is right, 3x etfs crushed the market. TQQQ was up 109% in 2020. Made me wish I had owned it instead of my measly 2x etf.

I donā€™t want volatile stocks; actually, I donā€™t any MORE volatile stocks. I have enough of those. With leveraged ETFs, I want to bet that the market is going to go up in the future (generally a safe ā€œlong termā€ bet) and I am willing to pay a fee to get 2x or 3x of what an established index fund would do when I think the future looks bright. When it doesnā€™t, I get out and move back into non-leveraged indexes, until things again change.

Hawkwin
Long term (whatever that means) investor in leveraged etfs.

1 Like

As of today, YTD returns:
SP500: Down 7.4%
NASDAQ: Down 11.2%
UPRO: Down 20.2%
QLD: Down 23.9%

Leveraged funds can lose money in a flat market: If the market goes down 2% and up 2.04%, itā€™s back at 0. The doubled fund goes down 4% and up 4.08%, for a net of .099917 or a loss of .08%ā€¦over time that adds up.

Donā€™t forget that this thread started with OP saying ā€œI am 13.5% down. For me this is huge.ā€

It is REALLY easy to beat the market

How long have you been beating the market in leveraged funds? Did the period include 2008-2009? Experiencing a full cycle would be more telling than having a method that only ever saw the nearly continuous up market and generation-low interest rates.

1 Like

How do you see the S&P hedging against inflation? Since it is made up of individual stocks, does not buying some subset of individual stocks accomplish the same thing? Or is there something special about the S&P that Iā€™m missing?

My comment is in reference to a posting suggesting alternatives may be better.

The S&P 500 is taken as our reference for equity investing. The usual finding is that equities give better returns than say bonds and fixed incomes over time. Equities give the best chance of keeping up with inflation.

Others like real estate or antiques, art, or you name it can also work, but for most of us equities are easiest (especially for people posting on TMF).

Donā€™t forget that this thread started with OP saying ā€œI am 13.5% down. For me this is huge.ā€

Clearly we are off on a tangent. The OP wasnā€™t focused on beating the market.

How long have you been beating the market in leveraged funds?

Good question. At least 9 years off and on. I donā€™t have access to statements older than the last seven years but it would not surprise me if it dates back to 2009 or 2010. I changed jobs in October of 2008 and rolled a 401k to an IRA. That was the first time I had enough cash that I felt it made since to start picking my own stocks - and that included index investing.

Did the period include 2008-2009?

I donā€™t honestly recall, but letā€™s assume it didā€¦

As I stated previously, I have used QLD (2x the NASDAQ) extensively over the last decade or more - but much like any other stock investment, I have occasionally sold it when I thought it was either too expensive or the market conditions did not warrant it.

Letā€™s assume I held it the entire time:

https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/arcx/qld/performance

If I had purchase QLD on 1/1/2008 and held it through today, $10,000 would have grown to $275,000.

By contrast, if I had purchased the NASDAQ 100, it would have grown to $76,000.

Next?

Heck, I would have been far better off to put my entire 401k into QLD in 2008 and left it the heck alone. I certainly did not do quite as well market timing QLD or with my other stock picks. My $100k+ 401k did not grow to 2.75MM like QLD would have.

1 Like

Thanks for the information Hawkin.

Andy

1 Like

Heck, I would have been far better off to put my entire 401k into QLD in 2008 and left it the heck alone. I certainly did not do quite as well market timing QLD or with my other stock picks. My $100k+ 401k did not grow to 2.75MM like QLD would have.

Iā€™m sorry I missed Renaissance Technologies flagship Medallion Fund. A $100 investment in 1988 was worth almost $400 million by 2018.

Famed Medallion Fund ā€œStretches . . . Explanation to the Limit,ā€ Professor Claims
https://www.institutionalinvestor.com/article/b1k2fymby99nj0ā€¦

intercst

2 Likes