Awful quiet today

Shop down 6%
SQ down 3.4%
ANET down 8.4%
NTNX down 6%
WIX down 2%

So, people buying or selling given the discounts?

5 Likes

When I go shopping, 6% off isn’t enough to make me even enter the store…

I have no position in any of those sequences of letters.

1 Like

Shop down 6%
SQ down 3.4%
ANET down 8.4%
NTNX down 6%
WIX down 2%

So, people buying or selling given the discounts?

I added to Square, Arista and Nutanix. I built my position in Varonis to about 4%, which is as big as I want it. I didn’t add to Shopify because my position was already too large. I didn’t add to Wix because, at 4% also, it’s as large as I wanted. Oh, and I added to Nvidia, which remains considerably smaller than my positions in Square, Arista and Nutanix.

Saul

29 Likes

I bought shares earlier in the day and so missed the lower prices that came later in the day.
My overall portfolio went down 1.86 %

Frank,

I added to SQ , ANET , TLND , NTNX , HUBS but not to TSLA, SHOP , LGIH , AAPL , AMZN , NVDA

Frank

The sector rotation continues, BRK-A up, DJI up to new all time high, S&P 500 steady, NASDAQ down.

MNST and ROST up to new all time highs.

Got hit hard but made no trades. “It ain’t over 'till it’s over.”

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34324865

Denny Schlesinger

I added some ANET and SQ today.

Maybe not, but since the close on 11/28 (5 days ago), several of my stocks are definitely on sale enough to make me take note:

SHOP	-13.7%
ANET	-13.8%
HUBS	-6.2%
WIX	-5.7%
SQ	-13.2%
INST	-12.1%
TLND	-8.7%
PSTG	-12.9%
TTD	-9.5%
HDP	-8.4%
ALRM	-14.1%
MU	-16.9%
FB	-6.0%

Friday I trimmed SHOP and SQ about 20% each to raise some cash. I picked them because they were large positions (so even after trimming, I’d still be happy to see them appreciate) and since they were, the way I see it, the most richly valued of what I own.

Today I sold FB since it was down the least. I added to ANET, but just a little. I ended today with a 13% cash position. I plan on redeploying that over the next several days.

Looking again at my HPE…actually let’s call it HPE30…which I introduced here: http://discussion.fool.com/marginal-thinking-32898226.aspx

It now looks like this:

ticker	HPE30
SHOP	54.8
ANET	36.8
HUBS	27.6
WIX	20.4
SQ	52.8
INST	21.5
TLND	26.8
PSTG	12.9
TTD	24.0
HDP	17.2
ALRM	19.3
MU	7.5

Some things are starting to enter the realm of what I would call “cheap.” Given another quarter or two of revenue growth and (hopefully) margin expansion, I think Mr Market will have to agree and bid these up, no matter what sector is in favor.

Bear

9 Likes

I bought shares earlier in the day and so missed the lower prices that came later in the day.
My overall portfolio went down 1.86 %

Frank,

Mine was down more than 4% today.

I had been considering trimming my NVDA position some a few weeks back when it had exceeded 28%, but being a taxable account and having not yet fully dived in to know how long-term gains factor into MAGI, I simply held…it is back below 26% as of today.

Square’s allocation had grown to 5.75% just before Thanksgiving but is now back down to 4.64%.

Today’s drop for Arista is making me really wish that I had trimmed a bit of Baozun before their earnings (when it had been at 4.27%, compared to today’s 3.47%) and maybe sold all of my Live Nation shares a few weeks back to raise some cash to deploy.

My FMI (Foundation Medical) January $60 calls had a pretty wide trading range today, but I am still holding those…pending early day price action, I may be tempted to grab some $70 FMI calls (maybe a bit further out beyond January 2018).

1 Like

Added to ANET given it was my position most “on sale” and of all my holdings is the one I have the most confidence in. This was new money. Didn’t sell anything.

MC

1 Like

Bear pointed out the much higher % drops just since 5 days ago.

The discounts also look pretty good when compared from the high these stocks have hit recently:

SHOP - down 22.0% from the high
SQ - down 25.6% from the high
ANET - down 14.7% from the high

Could they go lower? Of course, much lower if the market doesn’t cooperate, stocks like these can easily drop 50% or more when they go out of favor. But if the companies keep performing as they have been, especially over the next quarters and years, I think purchases at these discounted prices will look like smart moves in the future.

4 Likes

I would like a have a better way to see my cash grow as a percentage of my portfolio…

But I knew this would come, bought a few QQQ puts but alas a month too early.

Nothing has changed for the worse except prices. The economy is still growing ,interest rates are still low , tax policies are being rationalized, and many of our companies are still changing the world.
The institutions will have their quarter gains blacked in soon , and prices will start to rise. But slowly. The only real risk extending out a year or more is a general bear market and so far there’s no sign of that.

But it is a nice time to have cash, and I mean total cash not percentage cash.

Other than the SHOP I dumped purely by luck I am just going sit, watch ,and wait . These kind of things usually end in a sharp spike down, an upwards spike , then a retest of the lows. I will wait for the probable retest before doing anything.

The tools that work reasonably well in general market lows are not much use in sector lows. At least not any that I know of.

2 Likes