Bad housing affordability

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-housing-affordability-in-ju…

**U.S. Housing Affordability in June Was the Worst Since 1989**
**Record-high home prices combined with rising mortgage rates to push more buyers out of the market**
**By Nicole Friedman, The Wall Street Journal, Aug. 12, 2022**

**It was more expensive to buy a U.S. home in June than it has been for any month in more than three decades, as record-high home prices collided with a surge in mortgage rates.**

**The National Association of Realtors’ housing-affordability index, which factors in family incomes, mortgage rates and the sales price for existing single-family homes, fell to 98.5 in June, the association said Friday. That marked the lowest level since June 1989, when the index stood at 98.3....**

**The drop in affordability makes it especially hard for first-time buyers to enter the market and access the main path for the U.S. middle class to build wealth. ... The median existing single-family sales price in June was $423,300, while the average mortgage rate stood at 5.6% and median family income was $91,952, according to NAR....The typical monthly mortgage payment rose to $1,944 in June, NAR said, up from $1,297 in January and $1,265 in June 2021, assuming a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage and a 20% down payment....** [end quote]

These charts tell the story.

30-Year Fixed Rate Mortgage Average in the United States is 5.22%, up from 2.77% in September 2021.
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MORTGAGE30US

S&P/Case-Shiller U.S. National Home Price Index is 306, up from 213 in February 2020.
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CSUSHPINSA

Existing Home Sales are 5.2 million in June 2022, down from 6.5 million in January 2022.
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/EXHOSLUSM495S

The WSJ article doesn’t mention that many families are being outbid by private equity for homes as well as apartment complexes and mobile home parks.

If families can’t afford to buy homes they are forced into apartments with fast-rising rents. But if they buy a home in this high-price, high-mortgage rate environment the housing payments will absorb a big chunk of their disposable income. The macro impact will be to slow the economy since other goods and services will be crowded out by housing costs.

At some point, housing prices will start to fall since people won’t be able to afford them. But that won’t happen until supply and demand come into balance.

Wendy

5 Likes

that won’t happen until supply and demand come into balance

The housing market chasing its tail… As unaffordability slows the purchase of homes, builders slow construction, buyers are forced into an ever increasing priced rental market, and pent up demand increases for first time home buyers.

U.S. Housing Affordability in June Was the Worst Since 1989

I still own a home that I bought in '89. It lost about $40k in value in the first two years. The interst rate was 12%. I could rent the same home for less than my mortgage payment. I remember friends giving me articles that said home prices only increase 2.5% / year. This same home that I bought for $252k I put a lot of money into remodeling/adding sqft. I don’t really know if there’s a bad time to buy a home, back then a 5.22% interest rate was unbelievable.

Meanwhile lack of affordable housing forces those impacted by inflation to lose their homes and become part of the homeless.

Lack of housing is a disaster for many.

Meanwhile lack of affordable housing forces those impacted by inflation to lose their homes and become part of the homeless.

Foreclosures? It’s hard to see a big upside trend foreclosures when housing prices are still above what they were last year, or two years ago.

Lack of housing is a disaster for many

Housing starts only barely recovered from the 2008 deflation this year. If new construction slows dramatically in the upcoming Fed designed recession, then affordable housing will be lost for another decade. New home buyers will only be families with a household income of $125k and up.

Ditto folks losing their apartments for non-payment of rent. Easy to become homeless or live in your car. Tough with kids.

Affordable apartments are also needed.