Beth Kindig article on MongoDB

AWS DocumentDB and MongoDB Atlas: Friend or Foe?

https://beth.technology/mongodb-atlas/

Needless to say, I was on the edge of my seat at OSCON when Amazon presented a keynote and pitched MongoDB Atlas to the crowd. At OSCON, Amazon stated that “AWS effectively endorses MongoDB Atlas as the segment winner” and that MongoDB Atlas is an “AWS reinvent 2019 top level sponsor.” Amazon also stated that Atlas growth has continued on the platform after the AWS DocumentDB release.

My thoughts:
AWS realized they were falling further behind there competition that was partnering with MongoDB Atlas. If you can not beat them, promote them!

Like to read her articles.

Long MDB

Van Clan

68 Likes

Does this have something to do with DOJ’s ongoing antitrust investigation on big techs? Maybe Amazon did it mostly for its public image?

2 Likes

Amazon presented a keynote at OSCON and pitched MongoDB Atlas to the crowd. At OSCON, Amazon stated that “AWS effectively endorses MongoDB Atlas as the segment winner” and that MongoDB Atlas is an “AWS reinvent 2019 top level sponsor.” Amazon also stated that Atlas growth has continued on the platform after the AWS DocumentDB release.

Wow! That’s a Game Clarifier, even if not a Game Changer (because we all knew by now that Atlas was a winner). Thanks Van Clan for posting that bit of incredible news. Amazon saw that they were going to lose so decided to join up.
Saul

25 Likes

Amazon presented a keynote at OSCON and pitched MongoDB Atlas to the crowd. At OSCON, Amazon stated that “AWS effectively endorses MongoDB Atlas as the segment winner” and that MongoDB Atlas is an “AWS reinvent 2019 top level sponsor.” Amazon also stated that Atlas growth has continued on the platform after the AWS DocumentDB release.

Isn’t this essentially what happened between Amazona and Shopify 4-5 years ago? Amazon was competing against SHOP but ended up throwing in the towel and recommending SHOP instead? Look at what SHOP has done since then…hopefully MDB will have the same success in the next 4-5 years that SHOP has had in the last 4-5 years (over 10X!).

10 Likes

yes, Amazon has done this with number of segments / technologies… they do pick their battles… this is part of what makes them Amazon…

what is really interesting is that the OSCON was in mid July and street doesn’t seem to have picked up on this yet… while number of Saul stocks have seen uptick in last two weeks and hitting 52 weeks high, MDB is far below its 52 weeks high…

4 Likes

If you’re interested in hearing the portion of the talk on MongoDB, here it is (only 2min): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1aAG2iftMo

The AWS presenter said Atlas growth hasn’t been impacted despite the fact that AWS and Azure have built clone versions of MongoDB (:45).

Then the gold quote that Beth Kindig references in her article is in written text on the final update of the slide…“AWS effectively endorses MongoDB as a segment winner and safe long-term bet.”

Wow.

You can download all the slides from the presentation here (slide 26): https://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/oscon-or/public/schedu…

13 Likes

thanks HIBW… this 2 minute video is priceless… wow, like a said before, street jumped on AMZN - TTD news, yet no real excitement around AWS - MDB news… I guess it will show up in direct revenue growth in a quarter from now…

1 Like

I had already top sliced Shopify by 10% to add to MDB last week which has been languishing recently. I’m prepared to consider adding further on this.

MDB should deliver high growth rates over the next 2-3 quarterly releases - assuming Atlas growth holds up, before it starts lapping the 2018 Q4 acquisition of MLab. By which time we should have the Realm acquisition delivering its initial contribution, (Crunchbase indicates Realm had $8m+ annualised revenues vs MLab at $3m annualised revenue even though Realm was acquired for $39m vs ~$68m for MLab) and possibly additional acquisitions yet to come.

(The more I think about the acquisitions the more I think that the REALM acquisition was a stroke of genius at a brilliant price. MLab less so but certainly not value destroying along the lines of ARM’s Artisan acquisition say or something IBM or HP might have done).

With this Amazon endorsement announcement, I see the benefit lying in taking away the “death by Amazon” FUD factor risk situation for investors that has plagued MDB and others rather than removal of a competitive threat which I see MDB having already addressed.

Ant

4 Likes