Bottom? 89012345

You have not been fully confused by garbage until you get one.

Bezos is said to be interested in the Washington Commanders. Following in the way of Microsofts Alen and Balmer. Sports teams are a better investment. They keep up with inflation. And gives you access to media if you have a comment.

News is rarely profitable. Mostly a public service.

The big a question is can Musk make Twitter profitable?

1 Like

No. He does not have the time needed to run it.

Iā€™m confident Musk knows how to delegate. He is not a micromanager.

2 Likes

Heā€™s more of a gigamanager

Mike

1 Like

Hard to delegate when you fire most of the folks to whom you could delegate things.

ā€“Peter

1 Like

Do you think he personally chose each person to be fired, one by one?

Mike

1 Like

Of course not. So maybe he fired the best half. Or the worst half. Or he doesnā€™t have any idea which half, which is not a great look *(or, to mention, operating principle) when you drop $44B of your own and othersā€™ money into something.

Usually, thereā€™s a plan. It is clear here that there is no plan. Blue checks here, gone. Gray checks here, gone. Subscription now, gone. Half the workforce fired. Some rehired because they turn out to be the only ones with the keys to the IT department, or something. Musk shouting ā€œpossible bankruptcy!ā€ every 10 minutes.

This does not sound like an advertisersā€™ paradise, which has been over 90% of their revenue. It does not sound like a workerā€™s paradise, and it remains to be seen if it stays a usersā€™ paradise, profitable or otherwise, which seems in doubt.

PS: Bankruptcy means the carcass gets sold off to the highest bidder. Anyone want to start a GoFundMe account to buy it back? Itā€™s gonna be a lot lot cheaper.

3 Likes

No. It means all the other stakeholders are stiffed, while the ā€œJCā€ that put it in BK, buys it back, debt free. Ask Eddie Lampert. As one article about the PE business model said, words to the effect ā€œIn most countries, this would be fraud. In the US, itā€™s perfectly legalā€.

[quote=ā€œGoofyhoofy, post:28, topic:79983ā€]
ā€œand it remains to be seen if it stays a usersā€™ paradise, profitable or otherwise, which seems in doubt.ā€[/quote]

As offered before, I suspect Musk sees Twitter as his personal megaphone. He really doesnā€™t care about anything else.

Steve

4 Likes

Goofy beat me to the high road, so Iā€™ll take the low road.

Donā€™t be stupid. Of course he didnā€™t. But it would not shock me if he said we donā€™t need this group and that group and half of this other group.

But moving back to reality, if Iā€™m not mistaken, the entire C-suite got a thorough cleaning, whether by asking to leave or by quitting. More left than remained. So there are, quite literally, much fewer people around to whom he could directly delegate things. And most of those folks donā€™t do a whole lot themselves. They delegate further down the food chain. That very quickly gets to the mass layoffs in the whole company - again leaving not that many able to do delegated tasks.

ā€“Peter

2 Likes

Not true, the main go to for the crypto world is Twitter. He wants an entirely new sm based on crypto. I do not know what that means to him. But it means somethings.

Only needs them temporarily before it is fully transitioned to a crypto platform.

Clearly, there is plenty to criticise about Musk on Twitter. First he wanted it, then he didnā€™t, then he did the deal, blah, blah. Now it may be more damaged than before. But somehow he figured out or just decided to cut X number of jobs. He did, reportedly, bring in 50 Tesla engineers to help decide who to cut, whatever the criteria was. So, based on available info and common sense on the large numbers he did delegate some of the large number of layoff decisions.
None of this means buying Twitter was a good idea or a good value. It is most likely a stupid idea and a major distraction.
But no one can realistically say he didnā€™t delegate much of the individual decisions on 3700+ layoffs (excepting the high profile top management or even some middle managers) to others, be they some Tesla engineer recommendations or possibly some Twitter leads that he did somehow find and trust.

Perhaps someone that was part of the layoffs can write a long form tweet (140 pages instead of characters) and tell us what really happened.

Mike

1 Like

Deadwood, tinder wood, rotten wood fired ā€“ pun intended!

Did anyone realistically expect Twitter to be fixed in 24 hours?

America suffers from the Instant Gratification Syndrome (IGS).

I donā€™t have much use for Twitter but as the Prime Digital Town Square (PDTS) Iā€™m glad itā€™s being cleaned up. In any case, itā€™s a bad idea to bet against Elon Musk. SpaceX, Tesla, Boring Co., StarLink, etc. ainā€™t chopped liver.

The Captain

4 Likes

This is an odd defense. Since there was absolutely zero relationship between Tesla and Twitter, an appropriate analogy would be that Steve Jobs brought in 50 engineers from, oh, I donā€™t know, Frito-Lay or Dow Chemical or maybe Goofyā€™s Airline and Storm Door company to decide how to run Apple, and then give them perhaps a week to decide.

This is not ā€œdelegatingā€, this is wholesale execution by other means. He broomed half the employees. He broomed half the executive suite. If I give you a order to ā€œgo fire Mrs. McSmith, am I really ā€œdelegatingā€ the decision? Or just the means of execution?

He now finds that many of those employees were, in fact, necessary. That his blue-check idea was so verklempt it was rescinded in two days after worldwide abuse. That the grey-check idea didnā€™t even last that long. That he has banned comedians while declaring ā€œComedy is legal again.ā€ That the company is potentially in violation of legally binding consent decrees. That ā€¦ turning Twitter around is going to be more than a full time job, and that he has other jobs, too.

No, this is a clusterputz on display, worldwide. (I wonder what the reaction would be if, say, Mark Zuckerberg came out and said ā€Support Democrats!ā€ on the eve of a national election.) Musk doesnā€™t realize what he doesnā€™t realize, and there is oh so much of it to realize. He believes his own press, which unfortunately he writes himself, and rather uncritically, obviously.

5 Likes

Earlier, there was a reference to employees having some sort of rating and that his intent was to fire the half with the lower rating. Clearly, the pattern is more complicated than that now, but I donā€™t think it is arbitrary.

1 Like

One source reported that a criteria was the number of lines of code a programmer had written. The ones with the least number of lines were fired preferentially.

Seems like it should be opposite.

2 Likes

Cleaned up? How exactly? In my view, the recent past has shown us that Twitter needed probably most of those let go to keep it from falling into fraud and hate speech. Gutting the content moderation group, brilliant move! Twitter doesnā€™t have a head count issue, it has a revenue problem. Because itā€™s clear to me those people were needed.

2 Likes

Funny. Steve Jobs brought in John Scully (President from Pepsi) to run Apple.

Mike

6 Likes

Or is he more of a femtomanager?

Nothing really ever changes, just our complaint seem newā€¦the complaints are never new.

2 Likes