Can SWKS overcome this headwind?

Of course, this is just a report and a prediction that can be true or false. I have no idea. What is your take on this?
Also only two weeks are left for this year (2015) to end, Is that a prediction for the Q4 sells of the year?
Go figure out…

Smartphone Market Seen To Cool Down: Research Firm Predicts First Single-Digit Growth For 2015
By Katrina Pascual, Tech Times | December 7, 8:00 PM

"Smartphones are bound to see their smallest growth record this year – the first time that growth is projected to slow into a single digit. Case in point: first-time buyers in China are mostly gone, meaning growth potential has shifted to the upgrade scene.

According to market research firm International Data Corporation (IDC), global smartphone shipments will grow only 9.8 percent this year, translating to a total of 1.43 billion units. Of this figure, 81.2 percent will run Android, 15.8 percent iOS and 2.2 percent Windows, while all other mobile operating systems are forecasted to dip by 16.8 percent.[…]

1 Like

Of course, this is just a report and a prediction that can be true or false. I have no idea. What is your take on this?
Also only two weeks are left for this year (2015) to end, Is that a prediction for the Q4 sells of the year?
Go figure out…

For SWKS it is less important how many phones are sold than what kind of phones are sold. SWKS makes a lot more per 4G phone than per 3G phone.

Last I heard, China’s switch to 4G was only 20% complete. That means 80% or so can still upgrade to the faster, more advanced phones. Why would they upgrade? It’s a faster phone that can handle more bandwidth. More bandwidth makes the phone faster for video viewing on the phone. It may even enable some applications that are either not possible or annoyingly slow on the 3G phones. Many people in China are also very status conscious; these people don’t want to be seen walking around with yesterday’s model.

Chris

6 Likes

It may even enable some applications that are either not possible or annoyingly slow on the 3G phones.

I think this is key for this market. I know personally, the transition from 3G to 4G was a huge enabler. And LTE made things ridiculous, like my phone and home internet is now faster than work or commercial wi-fi.

The thing I have a hard time understanding the ‘need’ is with the transition from LTE to 5G (or whatever is next). I am a ‘cable cutter’. I use Sling, Netflix, and Amazon Prime for all my screen entertainment. I have 100 mbs down and 20 up. I don’t need that much, but because of the package I pay for it. (In Alaska we have serious data limits, so we aren’t paying for speed as much as traffic capacity). I had 20 mbs before, but transmission technology lept so my home connection did as well. The point was that to do everything I needed without buffering or anything annoying happening, all I really need is about 10-12 mbs. The ISP is advertising 1 GB speeds where I live now. I don’t want to pay for it, or for them to upgrade to it. In my opinion, the transmission technology has outpaced the commercial/home market need.

Now, with VR and any other crazy new content coming out which requires more data speed/capacity, this might change, like going from SD to HD. But I am fine with HD, and VR isn’t everywhere (yet).

But I like SWKS for reasons other than this one point, or one market (china or US 4G phones). I have high conviction for this company and stock.

Robert
Long SWKS