China to ban ICE cars sales

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-09/china-to-…

The U.K. And France have already state that they will do the same.

4 Likes

Like France and the U.K., there’s no mention of how the supporting power grid/infrastructure will be developed and hardened.

And of course, no one would ever consider using fossil fuels to generate electricity. Nah.

1 Like

By 2040…so we have another 20 years + of pollution, Irma and the likes.

1 Like

And of course, no one would ever consider using fossil fuels to generate electricity. Nah.

72% of France’s electricity comes from nuclear, 18% renewables, and only 9% from fossil fuels (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_sector_in_France).

Just over half of the UK’s electricity comes from “wind turbines, solar panels, wood burning and nuclear reactors.” (https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/dec/22/uk-hits-…) Furthermore, “Scotland’s last coal power station closed in the spring, and coal plants in West Yorkshire and Staffordshire were shuttered.”

And even the US, coal plants are closing (https://qz.com/988271/donald-trumps-coal-promise-us-coal-fir…:slight_smile: “This year alone eight coal power plants have announced closures. Many are shutting decades before their expiry date. The closures total 9.4 GW of lost electricity generating capacity, which is more than what all of Qatar can produce today.”

The reasons are financial, not environmental: The most common reason for an early closure is that the plants are no longer economically viable. The shale gas boom has made natural gas very cheap—cleaner and more efficient fossil fuel. The rate per kilowatt-hour offered by coal power plants is increasingly being beaten by natural gas or even renewables like wind and solar.

One great thing about EVs is that as the grid gets cleaner, the car you already own gets cleaner. A not surprising number of EV owners also install solar panels on their homes. Tesla, for instance, is building not only solar roof tiles, but also battery storage, enabling one to literally run their cars on sunshine.

39 Likes

Like France and the U.K., there’s no mention of how the supporting power grid/infrastructure will be developed and hardened.

Most EVs charge at night, when electric demand is lowest (and wind generators at their most productive). They actually help the grid by smoothing out the 24 hour demand.

Switching the vehicle fleet from ICE to EV will take a couple of decades at least. Try one, you might like it :slight_smile:

I’ve driven electric over 4 years now. I have managed camping with 5, 1600 mile road trips, and daily commuting. All while on a 100% renewables electric plan. I wouldn’t go back to ICE, for all the usual reasons given, & I don’t miss making special trips to gas stations.

On topic: EVs have helped my portfolio immensely. (Tesla). Solar has killed my portfolio. Electricity is a commodity and, while there’s a ton of growth & jobs in renewables, profit is a different matter. A primary attraction is that renewables are now cheaper than fossils (and cleaner, goes without saying!). Great for consumers, not so great for investors. IMHO. I could be wrong, but once burned twice shy :slight_smile:

G.

12 Likes

bartolo, I respectfully ask that you please keep the politics off of this board

5 Likes

bartolo, I respectfully ask that you please keep the politics off of this board

Talking climate change is talking science, not politics.

George

44 Likes

Talking climate change is talking science, not politics.

This is not Saul’s Science or Politics Discussion board. It is Sauls Investing Discussions. We should keep it that way.

AJ

21 Likes

THE PROBLEM IS that political discussions INEVITABLY TURN HOSTILE, and DESTROY THE COOPERATIVE SPIRIT of the board.

There are plenty of free MF boards for political discussions. This isn’t one.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation,

Saul

28 Likes

The move from coal to gas is a main driver behind Argan’s (AGX) growth over the last year or two. A large part of their business is building gas-fired power plants.