Cloudflare -Analytics for all

NET announced today that its analytics product offering enhanced analysis/privacy would be available free to all comers.The announcement can be found below.

https://www.schwab.wallst.com/research/public/news/viewStory…

This gives website owners and businesses better control over site data, web traffic and privacy issues.

IMHO this is a big deal because it starts the process of excluding those many enterprises who try to capitalize from collecting and distributing website data usage. It means I believe that NET will eventually replace those services across the board.

To me this is analogous to the corresponding Zoom tactic of free access across the board. It results in universal name recognition, broad acceptance of a superior service and increasing realization by “decision makers” in the audience of the need for and value of NET products. As I hypothesized in several posts on this board its those unknown and unquantifiable number of anonymous “decision makers” who , when they experience the benefits of the freely distributed service accelerate the rate of enterprise acceptance resulting in “unforseen” growth in product usage.

will that happen to NET. Maybe. I’m betting it does.

cheers

arnie

41 Likes

To me this is analogous to the corresponding Zoom tactic of free access across the board. …

Except this isn’t their core business. It sounds like they are competing with Google Analytics as a free site analytics tool. For example, when you create a Shopify store you can add a Google Analytics URL and it will send a ton of data there. Shopify still has more targeted store/business analytics, but lets the 3rd party tracker handle the generic traffic monitoring stuff.

I’m not sure this is a big deal… could it be for brand visibility? …except this isn’t their core business. I’m not even sure why they are offering a tool that collects traffic data except perhaps that they have something interesting for their edge network traffic and this is just making some of that public? I guess it could be leading toward an edge computing monitoring tool.

This is all speculation. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Except this isn’t their core business. It sounds like they are competing with Google Analytics as a free site analytics tool. For example, when you create a Shopify store you can add a Google Analytics URL and it will send a ton of data there. Shopify still has more targeted store/business analytics, but lets the 3rd party tracker handle the generic traffic monitoring stuff.

Agreed. It isn’t their core business. I think they are looking for wide exposure and an opportunity to display speed and versatility wrt analytics to as wide an audience as possible anticipating that users will perceive the advantages of their analytical capabilities and their edge computing model.

I would submit that when Zoom offered free usage to all comers that too was not really ‘core’ business which focused instead on enterprise services. Nevertheless the ensuing rapid adoption of Zoom stimulated a huge volume of enterprise interest much more than anyone had anticipated.

I am suggesting that NET is hoping for a similar dynamic to play out, maybe not of the same magnitude with the same speed but with strong likelihood of success.

arnie

2 Likes