CORONAVIRUS VACCINE STOCK

Good article in NY TIMES on Friday, Feb. 10th about stocks in article entitled: “Yearslong Process Is Sped Up as More Vaccines Move Toward Human Trials.” Apparently there are more than two dozen companies with vaccine programs. Wish they had been developed sooner.

I had begun reading about some of them last week…then saw The NY Times article.
NOVAVAX (NVNX, of which I bought the first of these stocks last week, is a small Company in Maryland. The Gates have invested in it. The Company says it would begin human trials in mid-May, in Australia.

Other Companies mentioned…which I have been reading about, include: MODERNA, which is already in a clinical trial, which started March 15. I think it is located in Cambridge,Mass. Hope to buy some, this week…looking at others, more closely, too. Think it is MRNA.

JOHNSON and JOHNSON expects to start clinical trials in September and has received a nearly $500 million partnership via a division of the U.S.Department of Health and Human Services.

There are more companies, much more to learn, and many more Americans needing help.
Wish the vaccines had been available to fight the disease, sooner…might have curtailed the HUGE NUMBER OF DEATHS in our Country.
STJ

Investing in coronavirus vaccine stocks is like playing the Wheel of Fortune or roulette. Nassim Nicholas Taleb said that Biotech is a “Good Black Swan” investing area because, sooner or later, some of them will pay out handsomely, we just don’t know which ones they are. This means that you have to buy a lot of them. What happens when you bet on all 72 numbers of the roulette wheel to guarantee a payout? You lose money because the wheel also has zero and double zero and the payout is only 72 to one. Every time the ball fall on zero or double zero, you lose.

This sector might be of interest to some investors, probably the younger ones with a long runway but not for older folks at on near retirement age, we have shorter runways and we need to cover current expenses instead of building and feathering a long term retirement nest. It is not enough to look at stocks in isolation, the portfolio has to match the investor’s economic profile.

Denny Schlesinger

40 Likes

Wish the vaccines had been available to fight the disease, sooner…might have curtailed the HUGE NUMBER OF DEATHS in our Country.

The virus was only discovered a few months’ ago and the genome sequenced shortly thereafter. Vaccine development (which typically takes around a decade)is proceeding at breakneck speed.

I’m with Denny on biotech - in my limited experience it can be a short cut to the poor house!

Alex

6 Likes

What happens when you bet on all 72 numbers of the roulette wheel

I’m not advocating “betting” on any vaccine company.
But the stock market isn’t like roulette.
The most you can lose is the amount you invest (or bet)
But the amount that you can gain can be much more than that.

For example, you could invest $1000 in each of ten companies.
9 go out of business, but the 1 “winner” could turn your $1000 into much more than $10K.

Roulette is quite different; the house always wins, eventually, based on the math of limiting payouts.

Mike

1 Like

There will be no vaccine. Betting on a “winner” is ludicrous.

Consider MERS and SARS. How is COVID-19 different.

Did you know that of those who DIED from the common INFLUENZA, over 90% had a current flu vaccination.

Get off the vaccine crap. Forget Tamiflu. COVID is years from a solution.

🆁🅶🅱
For not in my bow do I trust, nor can my sword save me.

3 Likes